Sign in to follow this  
Auss

XP Pro Versus 2003 Server

At OGN we run one server with 2x275 series Dual Core CPU'S, tyan motherboard with Raid 0 array, with server 2003 OS. This box is setup using a Daemon tool to have the exe installed as a service, we also take advantage of setting the Affinity to specific cores. (It is a vanilla server)

Lately we've had to use another server which is running XP Pro (temporary server while our main box is relocated to another datacentre)

The XP server is setup the same way using the Daemon tool, (Vanilla server also)

Both boxes are fully patched i.e hofixes etc

What I have noticed is the XP Pro server seems to be much more stable running the ArmA server as opposed to the Win2003 server OS. In an effort to understand why I have used exactly the same files on both servers. There is also no use of 3rd party addons. I have performed stress tests on the 2003 server to ensure no memory or hardware faults are occuring, I am unable to "break" the 2003 server until such times as it hosts ArmA.

In essence the 2003 server randomly crashes for no apparnent reason. The event logs and rpt files dont leave clues as to whats causing it. It can have 2 ppl or 22 ppl, it may run fine for 1 day or 5 days. Whereas the XP Pro server just seems to purr away without any hiccups, its much more stable and causes no headaches at all. To make matters worse the Opteron (2003 Server) is much more powerful Hardware wise.

I never thought I would say this but it seems the desktop OS maybe the preferred solution for servers out there. Has anyone else had similar experiences at all (pun not intended..lol)

Maybe there is some kind of hardware problem on the "real" server?

Maybe someone should test this on Exactly The Same hardware before jumping to conclusions?

What does this say?

Quote[/b] ]. I have performed stress tests on the 2003 server to ensure no memory or hardware faults are occuring, I am unable to "break" the 2003 server until such times as it hosts ArmA.

I never thought I would say this but it seems the desktop OS maybe the preferred solution for servers out there. Has anyone else had similar experiences at all (pun not intended..lol)

The only real difference between 2003 SP2 and XP SP2 that I can think off that might be related to this is that afaik in 2003 the chimney offload and other network 'enhancements' are enabled by default.

Some reference info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912222

I have had weird results with DEP protection, where programs simply crashed (without message about DEP). As soon as I added the mentioned programs to the dep exclussion lists, they ran fine. You might wanna check your DEP settings.

Some reference info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899298/en-us

I'm running 2008 (Xeon E5450, tyan board, 16gb ram), but at least with all the network 'enhancements' disabled.

We also experience crashing arma_server.exe at weird moments however we run with over 8GB of mods and our clients crash sometimes aswell.

I remember near ArmA release there were different results meassured with Intel (P4) Xeon's and AMD Opterons, but afaik this was resolved.

Anyway, stress testing the 2003 machine didn't reveal any problems you say, however, imo that does not mean that the OS itself is to blame.

As Yoma mentions, I guess you should make the test consistent; same hardware, same driver versions, same everything; If it keeps crashing on 2003, then it's clearly related to 2003, or one of its features or settings

I can recommand windows 2008. Been using it on my new server for almost 2months now and its been runing great. Also 2008 caches more in ram like linux or somethink.

Also have a windows 2003 enterprise warfare server that is fine but years ago i did have problems using windows 2003 web edition where game servers would crash