Sign in to follow this  
Vultar

Reloading!

Reloading!

It is a very important part of any fps/tactical/warfare game.

This topic is created to post any ideas about how ArmAII reloading should look like. Feel free to post anything... realistic.

1. Different animations for each weapon.

2. Abillity to reload while moving, both walking and jogging.

3. Animated weapons, no longer disappearing magazines.

4. Dry reload / Tactical reload and different animations for them.

Hope you find this feature as important as I do.

Reloading!

It is a very important part of any fps/tactical/warfare game.

This topic is created to post any ideas about how ArmAII reloading should look like. Feel free to post anything... realistic.

1. Different animations for each weapon.

2. Abillity to reload while moving, both walking and jogging.

3. Animated weapons, no longer disappearing magazines.

4. Dry reload / Tactical reload and different animations for them.

Hope you find this feature as important as I do.

I know number 2. Reload while moving is in there. Saw it on a vid from GC08. the others. Not sure

reloading while on the move is already confirmed on the games convention videos and info that was released from there wink_o.gif

Hmmm. I don't think there are different animations for each weapon yet, as that SAW gunner there is still using the vanilla ArmA reloading animation.

I think we will still see disappearing magazines (unless BIS has, and hopefully they have, been taking leaves out of RobertHammer's book with regards to moving magazines during reloads) and one reload animation.

Related to reloading, I think there should be an option under difficulty for ammo count. Cadet would show the regular ammo count in the gui. Veteran would show none, except in vehicles where it would be known.

reloading while on the move is already confirmed on the games convention videos and info that was released from there  wink_o.gif

I know that its possible while walking, I'm watching films, but its not possible while jogging. That's why I wrote point 2.

I was trying several times on different terrain in real life to reload my M4 while running and I had no problems. I was even able to reload while moving in prone or while rolling.

About animations... this machinegunner on screen only opened SAW, we have same in arma with RedFix. I don't want to see disappearing magazines because it breaks feeling...

About animations I'd like to see also characters animated. I don't want to see same animation for every gun. I saw that it is possible in Real Virtuality, for example in VBS1.

To bis - We have year 2009 soon, I think that fully animated and detailed reloading is a standard of any warfare game.

I know that its possible while walking, I'm watching films, but its not possible while jogging. That's why I wrote point 2.

What are you talking about? In this video (ArmA2 Impressions part2) you can clearly see that reloding while both walking and jogging is possible. Marek even mentions, if I heard correctly, that if you reload your weapon while jogging it will take slightly more time than if you do it while walking.

I wonder is it possible to cancel the reloading process or do you have to go it through when started...and possibly get shot.

I wonder is it possible to cancel the reloading process or do you have to go it through when started...and possibly get shot.

How will canceling the reloading save you from getting shot, if you can already move while reloading? huh.gif

How will canceling the reloading save you from getting shot, if you can already move while reloading?  huh.gif

By canceling you can sprint to cover, or is it possible sprint in arma2 while reloading??

How will canceling the reloading save you from getting shot, if you can already move while reloading?  huh.gif

By canceling you can sprint to cover, or is it possible sprint in arma2 while reloading??

Nope, only while jogging or walking, no sprinting.

@Rawr

Thanks for the video, Im gald to see it is possible, thanks again.

Btw. arma2 ftw ;D

How about Dry / Tactical reloading, guys? What do you think? Is it possible/ needed in arma2?

Hm.

I can just imagine the beginning of every single or multiplayer mission - everyone immediately pressing "reload" to get that magical "31" bullet magazine instead of the boring ol' 30 bullet one tounge2.gif

Aside from that, there's a rather serious engine issue throwing monkeywrenches into the works : what if the last bullet in your clip happened to be a suppressed one, and you load in a clip of non-suppressed ammunition? Then, obviously, the game would have to remember (for all 200+ units on the map) that this particular unit is running around with one single round of suppressed ammo + a full clip of non-suppressed ammo. Now do a burst - count one suppressed, rest normal (or worse, the other way around - there you're hoping to get some good ol' suppressed action going, but you've still got that one non-suppressed bullit back thar, ready to blow yer cover!wink_o.gif.

I don't know - I guess it's possible to shoehorn it in somehow, and it'd be pretty darned nice to see, but frankly I've never missed that one extra bullet anyway, and it just seems like a needless amount of hassle for little gain. But I'm not a developer!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Hm.

I can just imagine the beginning of every single or multiplayer mission - everyone immediately pressing "reload" to get that magical "31" bullet magazine instead of the boring ol' 30 bullet one  tounge2.gif

Aside from that, there's a rather serious engine issue throwing monkeywrenches into the works : what if the last bullet in your clip happened to be a suppressed one, and you load in a clip of non-suppressed ammunition? Then, obviously, the game would have to remember (for all 200+ units on the map) that this particular unit is running around with one single round of suppressed ammo + a full clip of non-suppressed ammo. Now do a burst - count one suppressed, rest normal (or worse, the other way around - there you're hoping to get some good ol' suppressed action going, but you've still got that one non-suppressed bullit back thar, ready to blow yer cover!wink_o.gif.

I don't know - I guess it's possible to shoehorn it in somehow, and it'd be pretty darned nice to see, but frankly I've never missed that one extra bullet anyway, and it just seems like a needless amount of hassle for little gain. But I'm not a developer!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Nice example. Here's my answer.

In Americas Army Game there's a possibility to kick one bullet out by pressing [J] without necessary to shoot(It is done to unjam weapon mainly). Would be nice to include it in ArmAII as in real life M16-series can jam very easly. What's more, when reload SD ammo with one Non-SD bullet inside, we would be able to kick this cover-blowing bullet away.

(And then some russians would find it and our cover is blown anyway) Joke ;p

Guess that such things are not top priority. ArmA units have to clean up there guns and make it combat ready without extra action from player. wink_o.gif Jamming for modern firearms in games is negligible and it would be very simple+unreal if you know every xx bullet > jam.

Currently in ArmA(1) the vehicle mounted or stationary weapons, such as the M2 Machine Gun or the DSHKM, reloads automaticaly when it runs out of bullets. And what's more, the machine gun continues to reload on it's own when the operator has left the gunner seat. Now that's magic.

I strongly suggest that the gunner manually have to reload the weapon, just as you have to do with regular handheld weapons, and as soon as the gunner has abandoned the weapon the reload sequence should stop. When the gunner returns, he'd have to commence the reload operation all over again. I'd also like to see some simple reload animation for this type of weapon. Currently in ArmA(1) the guy is just sitting/standing there as the reload sound is played.