Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Small part of texture repeat mapping

Hi all,

Wondering if theres a way to get a small part of a larger texture to repeat (cycle) across a face such that it covers the whole area with edge to edge copies of the smaller select ...... if you get what I mean.

In OFP (or ArmA for that matter) if you remember, you can map a small texture onto a larger face, the texture "repeats" until it fills the while face.

My problem is I have large areas to map (ship hulls and structure) but to properly convert them from OFP to ArmA I have to (well ... should) consolidate my textures into larger ones. But if I do that, the "repeat mapping" is lost.

The alternate is to make very large textures to map larger areas, but thats generally a big waste of MBs because the textures are low quality.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Welcome to the life of OFP porter smile_o.gif

Sorry kind of a ironic joke, I don't have no knowledge on this matter. Its the way I had to do them, some of my ports have come out really low resolution.

You probably need to divide big faces into smaller ones, so you can adjust the UVmapping in the UVEditor.

texturemerging would do the trick.

but since you asked what we think about this here are my thoughts.

huge objects have own rules, they are often to big to do it with a single texture and proper quality. they in most cases only 1-10 times visible on screen at the same time, highlights in a mission or scenery. 100 frigates will hardly ever happen. as example, the qg minaret has a single resolution lod, dont have to tell you what that means. but it makes sense with that model up to the point where you want to build minaret woods. take a look at the mole_beton.p3d f.e. 3 cycling textures of 512x512, also make sense with this particular model. (think it has a single texture in lower lods).

but most important, your a modder, not a gamedeveloper, you dont get paid for that, and you dont have to perfect in all you do. as a single person or a small mod team you cant be perfect in modelling, configs, texturing, performance optimisation and what else not.

of course you want to do as good as possible, and whatever can be optimized without to much effort should of course be optimized. But learning new techniques, ripping a model apart or invest another 3 month of work because in theory the newer hardware tend to prefer single textured models is nonsense. thats my thoughts.

worth a try?

i noticed when using mapfacts 3d editor huge differences in loadingtime from models, binarized and not binarized makes a huge difference, but face+texturecount aswell as texturesize are also noticable. think it can help to judge how your model behaves regarding loadingtime. maybe give it a try.

regards

scars09

Thanks guys.

Fair suggestion TD

Scars, you have valid points there, maybe 20 extra "sections" in a large model is not such a big deal.

just an idea, if you're texturing something as horozontal as a frigate and want to keep everything on one map, make the texture e.g y=2048 and x=512, then you can 'UV tile' textures horozontally and 'polygon tile' textures vertically.