Sign in to follow this  
Azza FHI

Ballistic ideas

hey just a quick thought, seeing as though ARMA is known for realism you guys should try and push it to the limit by making silenced weapons have a projectile speed of under 1200 ft per second (under the sound barrier). That is the only way u can get a next to nothing noise out of a gun. If you shoot a bullet with a suppressor but it is faster than the speed of sound the suppressor will stop the 'bang' noise but the projectile will make a cracking noise when it breaks the sound barrier. You can encorprate this into the game when u have a silenced weapon but pick up a normal magazine (not sd bullets). what you reckon, am i being too realistic? it would be good to see though

to me it seemed like they were the same speed as the non silenced weapons of their kind but i could be wrong. it definitly doesnt make a difference what mags you use sd or normal to what noise you get

to me it seemed like they were the same speed as the non silenced weapons of their kind but i could be wrong. it definitly doesnt make a difference what mags you use sd or normal to what noise you get

The crack can only be heard when the bullet is coming toward you. The ones you shoot can hear it.

Suppressed weapons in ArmA already have reduced velocity loads. The ones that use handgun ammunition are the only ones with subsonic ammunition, though, afaik. I think the rifles have a reduced load so the bullet becomes subsonic sooner but it leaves the barrel at supersonic speed. Also, ArmA models the sonic boom coming off of the bullet only at supersonic speeds, so if a projectile becomes less that then during flight you cease to hear the crack. I thought that was pretty cool when I heard about it.

As far as it's effect on the AI, I think I heard that the bullet snap makes it easier for the AI to identify that it's being attacked, but in practise I haven't really experienced this. Moreover, I don't know if this has been fixed but at least previously the weapon you used had no bearing on how the AI reacted to you, only the ammunition. So if you were using a supersonic load in a suppressed weapon, the AI would react as if the weapon was unsuppressed- AND, if you are using an unsuppressed weapon with a subsonic load, the AI would react to you as if your weapon was suppressed.

To OP: Test NWD Ballistics mod if you havent. Will give you a more real feel.

I quite like the current Arma ballistics. The only major things that in my opinion need improvement are 1) Rocket ballistics and 2) Guided missile behaviour.

1) Rocket ballistics are now quite poor due to:

- Absence of dispersion on AT launchers and FFAR pods (imposible to give any dispersion via config).

- Incorrect trajectory of rockets. If the rocket has low initial and flight velocity (max about 100 m/s), it drops just fine. But if it's launched at a higher speed, it refuses to follow the laws of physics and flies straight ignoring gravity. After some tests the reason seems to be - the rocket doesn't change its initial pitch during the flight, while the engine calculations seem do depend on it. Rocket doesn't like dropping "sidewards", but only in the direction it's facing.

Both these problems can be worked around by scripting - by applying scripted dispersion and setting the correct vectorUp in a loop. But I hope such deficiencies will be fixed in the upcoming game.

2) ATGM performance

- Manually controlled missile becomes uncontrollable after around 1500 m, starts flying in circles and blows up god knows where.

- You can't hit a moving target by tracking it with the center of the reticle, as it works on real-world systems. The guidance logic seems to be incorrect.

These two issues can also be worked around with scripting by replacing the hardcoded guidance logic with a more correct one and avoiding '1500 m syndrome' by telling the engine it's not a manually controlled missile at all  tounge2.gif  See GDTmod TOW or Mando Missile as example. Again, it would be much better if these bugs were fixed in the engine itself.