Sign in to follow this  
Dror.N

Placing a lake above water level

Hi,

Iam trying to make a map of two mountains 400 - 1100 in hieght.

ive been wandering if its possible to place some kind of a lake/water source, on top of one of the mountains

It's possible, but doesn't work very well. Take a look at Applegate Lake source.

The only way is to use the object pond.p3d found in the ca/misc folder.   You can enlarge it up to 500 percent and use several to cover a larger area.  Note the getting pond objects set at the correct height is dependent on the elevation of the surface beneath - the bottom of the lake.

You can check out my usage of the pond.p3d by checking out the Schmalfelden source files.  Opteryx has also made use of them - you can find one on his Avgani map.

EDIT: Opteryx answered while I was typing smile_o.gif

Wow, I was trying to recreate the applegate reservoir in 3de, I didn't know you could re-size the lake models. Do they lose their texture resolution when you do that? because I was using hundreds of individual tiles to try it, and eventually got frustrated and moved on to something else.

Be careful with scaling objects too large, either the actual model or in Visitor. If it gets too big it loses it's geometry LOD properties. Also, too big objects will stop rendering before they're outside your FoV. I tried making huge lake objects for Applegate, but believe me it didn't work.