Sign in to follow this  
aliasalpha

Would you buy a full featured ofp editor?

Ever since the news that there would be no SDK released, several friends and I have speculated upon the idea of a user friendly "SDK Lite" for want of a better term.

Imagine an independant editing program that would allow the rapid creation and editing of the properties of a rifle coupled with a relatively detailed 3D moelling/texturing tool to create said rifle. The same goes for terrain, wouldn't it be nice to simply lower a few polygons then highlight & tell them to be covered in water, hey presto: River. Or better yet create tunnels or mines in the mountains that you could battle over.

A relatively full featured editor of this nature would allow prospective modders to complete their ideas rapidly and efficiently without the risk of revealing more sourcecode than BI would like (and possibly breaking agreements depending on how much of Operation Flashpoint there is in Virtual Battlefield Systems).

I've suggested the hypothetical scenario of this being released in an expansion pack style as Red Hammer was and asked if anyone would be willing to purchase it for approximately the same price. As of this date, I do not recall having heard anyone answer no.

Would anyone here be willing to buy it? Please vote & show your support.

For anyone who votes no, is that cause you aren't interested or aren't willing to pay since it was supposed to be free?

If the price were reasonable, then definitely. I can understand BIS not wanting to give away proprietary tools, so I would be willing to purchase them, just not for $100+.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MosquitoMkVI @ Mar. 05 2002,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If the price were reasonable, then definitely. I can understand BIS not wanting to give away proprietary tools, so I would be willing to purchase them, just not for $100+.<span id='postcolor'>

I feel the same way, but if I had alot of money I would buy it.

I was thinking the same or similar price to Red Hammer. That's what I said in the e-mail I sent BIS anyway. A chance to simultaneously satisfy the community & make more cash, they'd be mad not to I think...

I don't think so, I'm not any good at editing and there would be lots of maps, weapons, etc.. to download for free biggrin.gif

With the hypothesis that I had a modicum of talent thus being able to create things with such a tool then yes I'd be happy to buy it for a fair price, say no more than $20 or so smile.gif

Ill buy it if its not to expensive. (maybe a deja vu but didnt I allready post here?) confused.giftounge.gif

No I would definitely not.

I would not want to accidentially ruin the game or something, or pollute it.

I would also be worried that others who would purchase this tool may do this too.

Also imagine this. Suppose you had the option to "magically" make some limited changes in our physical planet whatever they may be.

Suppose this was a gift that was offered to you somehow. Like by a genie. Sounds useful enough, right?

Now imagine that everyone could get this ability if they paid a modest price for it.

Don't you think that eventually this would ruin the world? There are thousands who would use it for purely personal gain and what not.

Everyone would make whatever changes they wanted as they saw fit.

This is why I am against any type of tools that will allow us to alter the game.

I know this is different, but I just don't like the principle.

I mean I know alot of people could find it useful. But I just think we should allow the professionals to modify the game as they see fit.

If you compare it to similar applications (say FSDS for the Flight Simulator/Combat Flight simulator series), about Å35.00 ($50.00 ish) would be fair. Would I pay it? Hell yes.

Polluting the game already exists as soon as some asshole cheats. If somebody wants to spend the money to buy Oxygen to create his own vision, I have no gripe. If I don't approve, I won't download.

But Cheats are the main problem, and I can't see how restricting Oxygen will stop them. that's up to the administrators of the servers where they play. people who are just bad modellers will recieve criticism and give up, or correct and do better next time.

If I was to think cynically, I would suspect that BIS may release new gear in a load of addons (reasonably priced wink.gif ), but I have no gripe with that. BIS is a business, and they should make money. Let me put to you a situation...

You buy a game which was not bad, but not great. you play it for a couple of weeks, then it comes of the hard drive and goes on the shelf. Would you give the manufacturers of that game one tenth of the hassle you give BIS for producing a bloody masterpiece? I'm not talking about bug fixes, though BIS has shown themselves better than average at attempting to sort gaming issues. I'm talking about after market addons.

In my long experience, I have never come across a software company to equal BIS in this respect.

Yes, I'll pay for Oxygen.

Nice to see some of you agree with me... Still perplexed that 12 people wouldn't pay for it if it was as cheap as red hammer but there you go...

I wouldn't buy it because I have no interest in modding, that's all. It would be fun to play around with maybe, but I wouldn't pay for something that I wouldn't use. The 12 people who voted no are probably the same way.

I voted maybe at first but I don't think I'd use my money on something I wouldn't use. FP to me is fine as it is.

I am happy with mission editer.

Would i buy them? Not a chance.

Anyone can apply for these tools Teams and individuals, If one is even thinking of buying these tools BIS would of denied your application and work sample thus your work is poor and will never benefit the community and it's players, Even though this is a totally hypothetical question the point remains.

ahh yes but at the time of writing, the only tool I had seen confrmation of being relesed was oxygen itself. I was suggesting that BI code a relatively idiot proof mod workshop so they could not only make a bit more cash but satisfy the demands of the community whilst protecting whatever they might feel they need to about their software.