Sign in to follow this  
Spooner

SPON Recognise

SPON Recognise v0.4.0

infantryln2.jpg

blackhawklz7.jpg

SPON Recognise v0.4.0

Anyone playing the game properly will have friend (& foe) tags off since they are very gamey, however, there needs to be some way to recognise your comrades without telepathy!

Allows players who have friendly tags turned off to manually recognise their allies (infantry, corpses and vehicle crews) when they are very close.

* Available as mission-script or client-side addon.

* Requires SPON Core and XEH (latter only if using addon version).

* Online Manual

* Report bug or make suggestion

Downloads

* Armaholic

* OFPEC

* ArmedAssault.info

Features

* Press TEAMSWITCH (which defaults to "T" key) to activate recognition for whatever you are looking at (based on weapon direction if you are using a hand-weapon, but centre of screen if unarmed or in a vehicle).

* When used as a client-side addon (that is, without it being configured from inside the mission), infantry are recognised up to 40m, vehicle crews to 2m, corpses (all sides) to 3m.

* Option for which types of people can be recognised: own group, own side, allies, friendly or everyone

* Option to recognise infantry at a specific distance.

* Option to recognise corpses at a specific distance.

* Option to recognise vehicle crews at a specific distance.

* Option to recognise all corpses at a specific distance, regardless of whether they could have been recognised when alive (think: dogtags).

<a href="http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=70;t=74601" target="_blank">

spooneroq2.jpg</a>

Very nice feature! Will have a very close look. wink_o.gif

Good job Spooner smile_o.gif

Hopefully this will help those that team kill cuse they cant see worth a damn. crazy_o.gif

Thanx for the post Spooner

Well, actually, it is a "weaker" friend-or-foe recognition than having friendly tags on (e.g. can't see through buildings or at long ranges), but I hope it should encourage more servers to turn off friendly tags, since I know a lot are keeping friendly tags on, in spite of its drawbacks, because having no recognition at all makes the game very cumbersome (or give those with friendly tags already turned off, because they are so exploitable and intrusive, a way to identify someone standing right next to you).

Oh, the usual caveat applies: Using the addon on public servers where other players don't agree to its use might be considered cheating (Server admins, you need to enable addon signatures if you don't want people to cheat). However, most public servers have friendly tags on anyway, so I don't think this should be a major issue.

Not sure what you mean by turning names on/off at distance. You can set the max distances in the mission regardless of which version you use, but I feel the defaults given are fine if you are using the addon version just on the client-side. Names appear only when you press the recognise key and you are looking at something that can be recognised.

Defaults: Allied infantry are recognised up to 20m, vehicle crews to 1m, corpses (all sides) to 2m.

New version of SPON Core released (v0.5.1), which addresses issues of compatibility between SPON Key Event handlers and Shole's DEH, which can cause problems with SPON Recognise.

v0.2.1 released

- Modified

* SPON Recognise now required SPON Core v0.5.1, in order to be compatible with other key event handlers.

- Added

* New corpse icon (skull).

* AI icon for living AI, but only in MP games.

- Fixed

* If SPON Recognise addon is loaded and SPON Recognise mission-scripts are run in the mission, then everythings gets in a mess.

Great script!

Works very well.

I have one suggestion/request, however.

Would it be possible to have the "dot" show up whenever the Teamswitch key is pressed?

It would make finding the center of your screen a lot easier for players with a large float zone, especially at range.

Thanks for the great script!

I have specifically avoided doing that, otherwise this would be a way to have an easy-mode crosshair for your weapon, even if that was disabled on the server (only if you didn't have a floating zone though).

The reason I added the dot was so you could easily work out what you were looking at. For example, if you are looking at two infantry standing close to each other, it would otherwise be next to impossible to work out which one you were getting information about.

However, something does need to be done to improve this situation though, because as you say, it is extremely difficult to use the addon when you have a floating zone set up. Not sure what exactly needs to be done, just yet.

Hey spooner,

Is it okay if I use portions of SPON_LOS (fully credited to you) in an armored vehicle combat script I'm working on? I ran into exactly the same problems with intersect that you did (on ofpec forums), and having poked through spon_recognize, noticed you ended up having to use bounding boxes for vehicles.

It's a pretty clever way to figure out if a vector intersects a bounding box, and what the distance is. I'm using it to check if rounds are about to impact tanks so I can do armor/penetration/angle checks.

Thanks. smile_o.gif

I have separately released the SPON_LOS function at OFPEC, since I thought people might find it useful (but, I think as of now, the separately released version is older than the one included in Recognise - just use the one in Recognise).

However, SPON_LOS works out the line from centre of player's screen and tells you what you are looking at, which isn't quite what you want. You might find it useful to see how you might do what you want though.

New version: v0.3.0

- Modified

* Default maximum range to identify infantry increased to 40m (was 20m).

* Recognition now follows the line of your current weapon, if armed and on foot (still aims at the centre of the screen when in a vehicle, when unarmed or not actively using your weapon, such as when in medic or reload actions).

- Added

* SPON_Recog_showBackground variable to allow user to disable the solid background behind the pop-up text (defaults to false). Text is now shown with a shadow if background is not shown, so it is still visible regardless of the background colour.

- Fixed

* Recognises own vehicle, preventing recognition of other vehicles and infantry outside.

ArmedAssault.info Mirror and News:

9702969.gif

We have also added this release to your personal author profile

If a release or contact information is missing, feel free to drop a PM, it will then be added.

And here is the BBCode if you want to add our Mirror to your release post :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/9702969.gif[/IMG]

If you prefer a text only BBCode please copy and paste the code below :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ArmedAssault.info Mirror :

DOWNLOAD - SPON Recognise (v.0.4.0) - [575KB] from ArmedAssault.info