Sign in to follow this  
gsleighter

Live for Windows?

Now that live for windows is free for PC Gamers, what are the odds of this being a cross-platform title? It would be nice to have several thousand console players to play against.

Can i please rephrase your query.

Since Microsoft Live is free for PC gamers, will Arma be cross compatible in multiplayer, so Console player playing with PC players? That would be awesome

I really doubt it. I believe its complicated and very hard/impossible to balance.

btw. Would you like to play with thousands auto-aiming players?

The big issue with this is that its likely going to be impossible to get missions built in the PC version, onto a 360. And since a good majority of online ArmA games seem to use custom missions... that would hinder PC/Console players playing on the same servers. Not to mention you wouldn't be able to use mods in missions if you wanted console gamers to play with you, as its highly unlikely consoles will have any access to mods as well.

So while it might be nice to have a few more people to play with... the fact that you would have to play built in missions, and not use mods limits the useability of cross platform play.

Why couldn't consoles use the custom mission too? If it has the same island and units, shouldn't be a problem.

Why couldn't consoles use the custom mission too? If it has the same island and units, shouldn't be a problem.

i think he was talking about the fact that pc servers are mostly running mods, i guess stuff like evolution could work on consoles though.

I suppose it might be possible... tho as far as I know, its not possible to send anything (missions or mods) to a player on the 360 from a PC version of a game. Microsoft has this thing (at least they use to) about downloading stuff to a 360 that they have no control over... Idk if missions for a game would fall under that catagory, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Also, since we know they game is going to have a limited mission editor on the 360... the capability of the 360 game might be less, and missions might not be able to be on the scale of the PC version. And should that be true, that again hurts the useability of cross platform play.

All this aisde, dentist guba is correct... the main issue is going to be mods.