Sign in to follow this  
oblisk

Massive, massive slowdowns with 4870x2

I recently got a 4870x2, an was quite eager to try ArmA on it. But I don't think ArmA and dual-GPU cards play well. I get massive slowdowns when looking up or down, the FPS drops into 1 (one!wink_o.gif. Definitely a game issue.

Will this be fixed?

Oh, and before you say, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game, drivers, etc etc. All my other games work fantastically, but ArmA runs like it's being played on a 486. No joke.

Anyone else ran across this problem?

Try renaming the arma.exe to fear.exe if that doesnt work Disable cat AI in control panel that will make the card run on one core should fix it.

I had very odd problems with my 9800gtx sli setup in Arma. I could run everything maxed with AA on low @1600x1200 but some bushes/trees just lagged my PC to hell, even though they worked fine two minutes earlier @50+ FPS. I was convinced it was shader related.

However, to fix this I had to turn Textures to Normal and use maxmem=512, now it runs like a dream. I use the "nVidia recommended" profile for Arma.exe.  Not sure what options ATI owners have in their ControlPanel.

What's your CPU and Ram?

Ironicly enough, out of all my games Arma is the one that gets the biggest boost from SLI, even compaired to Crysis/BF2/CompanyOfHeroes.

They all do nothing.

The problem were the shadows, even when they're at Med or High, game massively slows down to 2-3 FPS.

And what's with the performance? Even with a top high end 4870x2, I average around 20fps at 2560x1600. Although the drivers are a bit immature, I didn't know ArmA was coded THIS badly.

Try catalyst 8.8. They fix my problems with 4870. It was unplayable before than i changed to 8.8 and its playable again with decent fps.

Try catalyst 8.8. They fix my problems with 4870. It was unplayable before than i changed to 8.8 and its playable again with decent fps.

Those are what I am on.

I can also confirm that Arma just runs terrible with my new 4870x2. I had a 7950gx2 before this and that performed beautifully on 1280x1024. Now I'm running on 1680x1050 and I have to set lower ingame settings to play properly, it's ridiculous. The card is funtioning properly (Cat 8.8's) because I get great performance on Crysis, Cod4, Bioshock with 8xAA Edge Detect. This is a massive dissapointment as Arma was a big reason for my upgrade. The features with most impact are Shadows (even on low they wreak havok, bad coding imo) and postprocessing. The features that are, coincedently, also the best looking ones. sad_o.gif

Haven't had slowdowns to 2-3fps but it has been unplayable on higher settings. And my resolution isn't even that high.

That is not a problem of ArmA itself, it is caused by bad drivers else it would happen on every card.

It seems that no company can provide proper working dual gpu drivers for crossfire or SLI.

Don`t blame ArmA or BIS for that.

i suggest you try copy arma.exe into one of names below and check the pefromance afterward !

sometimes using profile for other game may help

remember it's best to choose application which using only DX9 and ShaderModel 2 (not multi DX7,8,8.1,9,9+ like Valve Source games)

Quote[/b] ]

hl2.exe

SporeApp.exe

AgeOfConan.exe

tra.exe

Jericho.exe

MEM_7.exe

Stranger.exe

DevilMayCry*.exe

MassEffect.exe

GRID.exe

witcher.exe

mahjongg_artifacts.exe

Studio.exe

Diner_Dash_Flo_On_The_Go.exe

BigKahunaReef.*

Chuzzle.exe

Backspin.exe

AcesOfTheGalaxy.exe

\half-life2Demo\hl2.exe

\portal\hl2.exe

\teamfortress2\hl2.exe

\half-life2deathmatch\hl2.exe

\half-life2episodetwo\hl2.exe

\half-life2episodeone\hl2.exe

\half-life2lostcoast\hl2.exe

\half-life2\hl2.exe

\counter-strikesource\hl2.exe

\dayofdefeatsource\hl2.exe

\half-lifedeathmatchsource\hl2.exe

\half-lifesource\hl2.exe

R6Vegas2_Game.exe

AssassinsCreed*.exe

Validator.exe

GH3.exe

xrEngine.exe

FFOW.exe

Settlers6*.exe

MonsterGame.exe

Nfs.exe

BA2.exe

DiRT.exe

ForceSingleGPU.exe

TW2008.exe

TW2006.exe

game.exe

SupremeCommander.exe

hl.exe

SpiderSolitaire.exe

Solitaire.exe

PurblePlace.exe

Minesweeper.exe

Mahjong.exe

InkBall.exe

Hearts.exe

FreeCell.exe

chess.exe

R6Vegas_Game.exe

3dsmax*.exe

Crysis*.exe

UT3*.exe

Wargame-g4wlive.exe

hellgate*.exe

SinEpisodes.exe

iw3mp.exe

iw3sp.exe

Matrix.exe

*Stranglehold.exe

Bioshock.exe

wic*.exe

LostPlanet*.exe

sims.icd

nhl2007.exe

GodFather.exe

pc_matador.exe

AcroRd32.exe

XR_3DA.exe

Scarface.exe

TestDriveUnlimited.exe

mm.exe

Gothic3.exe

HitmanBloodMoney.exe

NWN2*.exe

TW2007.exe

ARX.exe

SplinterCell4.exe

NFSC_demo.exe

NFSC.exe

RelicCOH.exe

starwars_pc.exe

LegoStarWarsII.exe

fifa07*.exe

fsx.exe

primarysurf.exe

CoJ.exe

FEARXP.exe

BF2142*.exe

JustCause*.exe

nhl06.exe

battleofthegods.exe

cccprev.exe

RomeTW*.exe

H5_Game.exe

Condemned.exe

trl.exe

Inventor.exe

Dwm.exe

legends.exe

gt.exe

graw*.exe

sweaw.exe

game.dat

Timeshift*.exe

nbalive06.exe

oblivion.exe

x3*.exe

gwdev.exe

pop3.exe

USM.exe

BattlefrontII.exe

speedDemo.exe

speed.exe

narnia.exe

white.exe

KingKong*.exe

3DMark06*.exe

RD3.exe

Age3.exe

Suffering2*.exe

Sam2.exe

KingKongDemo*.exe

BOS.exe

CoD2?P_s.exe

Fable.exe

EiB.exe

Sims2EP2.exe

DungeonSiege2.exe

fs9.exe

AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe

FEARspdemo.exe

FEAR.exe

ACTOFWAR*.exe

Ehshell.exe

X2-Demo.exe

X2.exe

tribesv_?pdemo_en.exe

Swat4SPDemo.exe

PandoraMultiPlayerDemo.exe

Sims2EP1.exe

PCMark05.exe

PCMark04.exe

PainGame.exe

Speed2demo.exe

MaxPayne2Demo.exe

FFXiWinBench.exe

FFXiBench.exe

Biademo.exe

Tiger

2004.exe

Snowblind-Demo.exe

Snowblind.exe

BreedSPD.exe

Breed.exe

XPANDRALLY.exe

TV_CD_DVD.exe

TRAOD*.exe

Battlefront.exe

Sims2.exe

ShadowVault.exe

patriots.exe

thrones.exe

Pariah.exe

nba2005.exe

mohpa.exe

GW.exe

pol.exe

Driv3r.exe

DFX.exe

Bia.exe

TechDemo.exe

aquamark.exe

w40k.exe

pop2.exe

FarCry.exe

WoW.exe

EverQuest2.exe

Speed2.exe

Lithtech.exe

Swat4.exe

SwgClient_r.exe

SplinterCell3.exe

Painkiller.exe

MaxPayne2.exe

FlatOutdemo.exe

CMR5.exe

BfVietnam.exe

LockOn.exe

3DMark05.exe

3DMark03.exe

3DMark2001SE.exe

3DMark2001.exe

BF2.exe

Morrowind.exe

TW2005.exe

TW2004.exe

halo.exe

UT2004.exe

UT2003.exe

RD2D.exe

RD2.exe

CT3.exe

pop.exe

RaceDriver.exe

SplinterCell2.exe

SplinterCell.exe

That is not a problem of ArmA itself, it is caused by bad drivers else it would happen on every card.

It seems that no company can provide proper working dual gpu drivers for crossfire or SLI.

I disagree m8. If the high end games I just mentioned run flawlessly then in my opinion I can easily blame BIS for performance on their game. It's a moot point though...

Dwarden, thx, will try some of them out and see what happens.

are you using vista, if so have updated to SP1 and updated your directx ? I had similer problems with my 8800 GTS until i updated everything now it runs like a dream with 40-50 fps on all every high

Vanilla ARMA, high and veryhighs, 1000vd, 16hdr, 1600x1200: Convoy Mission; 60fps with fear.exe, 40fps- with ARMA.exe......

Same as before, same as always, ATI you rename, NVDA you make a profile or use the default. Which works fine with the 177.83s..

XP32,2.92zConroe,2gigs1066,x-fi, 1950xtx's CF,2900CF, GX2sli, and now a 4870x2,(cd driver) kickin arma ass.

Its not the tech its the hardware or the user, if your having issues Try harder...

4870x2 is absolutely fine.Faster than my GX2,and with higher settings, except i do not get all of the AA options as the GX2 had. It has eight, ATI has to High on this driver, 8.526.

I disagree m8. If the high end games I just mentioned run flawlessly then in my opinion I can easily blame BIS for performance on their game. It's a moot point though...

And i have to disagree with you, as ArmA works on my old rig with very high settings.

If the game would be the source of the problem, it would be impossible to run ArmA on very high settings with an MSI GeForce 7600GS 512MB AGP card.

I´ll build me an new rig in december, but an ATI card will most likely be not my choice. I put my money on Nvidia, at least i get working drivers from them. icon_rolleyes.gif

edit: And no, i don`t even plan to go SLI or crossfire, to avoid problems from the start. wink_o.gif

BI needs to release a patch that utilizes dual GPU's better.

And i have to disagree with you, as ArmA works on my old rig with very high settings.

If the game would be the source of the problem, it would be impossible to run ArmA on very high settings with an MSI GeForce 7600GS 512MB AGP card.

I´ll build me an new rig in december, but an ATI card will most likely be not my choice. I put my money on Nvidia, at least i get working drivers from them. icon_rolleyes.gif

edit: And no, i don`t even plan to go SLI or crossfire, to avoid problems from the start. wink_o.gif

And if the card/drivers were the problem then games like crysis and assassin's creed wouldn't run as great as they do. It depends on how you look at it. smile_o.gif

In my reasoning, a sign of bad coding is when other games look better and also perform better... Hardware is leading, software follows.

I agree

@oblisk

The cards manufacturers make some fix for some games. I can't remember exactly when the drivers have been made while ArmA wasn't in the certified games list, but now ArmA is compatible with SLI cards.

You must assume that the PC hardware is certified to use SLI/crossfire cards (cards, MB, memories, alim and games). Take a look on this web page, you have all hardwares and games certified for SLI cards (I don't know for crossfire).

You can create a game profil on the CCC and you set your 3D performance and crossfire, but if your card/drivers/MB/game doesn't support crossfire, I don't think this will change something.

Ok , i find the 8.8.522, recent driver release is better than the CD driver;8.8.526. I did have a over heat crash... I set the fan temp to a kinda high setting but not high enough... This card has to be the loudest card ever! And it weighs a whole lb./pound more than my GX2 which was 3lbs....

Had some issues at 16hdr,... went to 8hdr. Now i get veryhigh in the AA option... NVDA does have HDR to 32, and the shadows are nicer...Still i can run all veryhigh and get in the 60fps/Vsync.

Funny how playing Warfare, i start at max 60fps but it will decrease to mid 30s to mid 40s after a bunch of units start spawning, and doesnt get any lower...but it plays smooth, best smooth running frames yet at lower than 40! I believe its time to OC my CPU...

i suggest you try copy arma.exe into one of names below and check the pefromance afterward !

sometimes using profile for other game may help

remember it's best to choose application which using only DX9 and ShaderModel 2 (not multi DX7,8,8.1,9,9+ like Valve Source games)

How does one change the name of the exe.

thanks

copy your ARMA.exe, then rename the copy to a compatible.exe.

I use fear.exe, gives AFR1.

How does one pick this new .exe that's been renamed within CCC?

How does one pick this new .exe that's been renamed within CCC?

He means that you rename ArmA.exe to a compatible.exe (like fear.exe)

In my humble opinion, I doubt that it works if you rename with a compatible.exe. In these circumstances, we could rename a compatible.exe that supports quad-core, and everyone knows that ArmA doesn't support this kind of processor. huh.gif

you rename ArmA.exe by a xxx.exe (like fear.exe), which has already a profile "active" and already set. But this program is compatible with the crossfire, and this profile to be taken into account every time you launch this program (hence the interest to create profiles games), but this doesn't mean that the crossfire will be supported by ArmA, if it doesn't support it. There will be some improvements that following these settings already set and supported by ArmA, but nothing prevents you create your own profile ArmA (without rename) and put these same parameters (supported, of course).

I don't know if there is a list of games compatible with the crossfire, and I don't know if the CCC has a problem to create some profiles games, but I think it isn't a good thing to do so.

I can report that this problem is visible on 3870x2 series card also. If shadows are on high or very high the fps drops down to something near zero after 2 minutes of playing. Sometimes problem goes away for a while if you switch to 3rd person for a while. I tried all possible drivers to fix this problem but nothing helped, only way to avoid this was to keep shadows on normal.

Quote[/b] ]

NVDA does have HDR to 32

all AMD cards beyond HD3xxx maybe even 2xxx could do HDR32 with AA enabled ... (exclude low end models)

Quote[/b] ]

In my humble opinion, I doubt that it works if you rename with a compatible.exe. In these circumstances, we could rename a compatible.exe that supports quad-core, and everyone knows that ArmA doesn't support this kind of processor.

AMD uses special application profiles for games which need fix / improvement / forced AA etc. this is based on detecting the process name and sometimes plus partial path ...

same goes for CrossFire profiles ...

look at the list and that's what the server supports ... most often used filenames for generic profiles are fear.exe and oblivion.exe

@FABfm

your talk about rename to 'quadcore' support is nonsense ...

the driver detects filename and enables or disables specific driver optimizing for that application , nothing else ...

... most often used filenames for generic profiles are fear.exe and oblivion.exe

Generic dosen't mean Certified  smile_o.gif

@FABfm

I know, it was a joke. It was just a way to express my astonishment to rename an .exe  wink_o.gif

But never mind, anyway I have no SLI/CrossFire cards on my PC  biggrin_o.gif

... most often used filenames for generic profiles are fear.exe and oblivion.exe

Generic dosen't mean Certified  smile_o.gif

@FABfm

I know, it was a joke. It was just a way to express my astonishment to rename an .exe  wink_o.gif

But never mind, anyway I have no SLI/CrossFire cards on my PC  biggrin_o.gif

then i must wonder why you comment about thins you don't understood ...

what's the value of such comments ...

someone here is trying to get his issues resolved not just read some useless posts ...