Sign in to follow this  
5thSFG Drak

Config.bin modifications

Suma,

It sounds like a full fledged official solution isn't going to happen for a while, so let me propose an interim solution.

1.  I rewrite the addon in an easy to understand and modify form, up to date with version 1.46.

2.  I write up a comprehensive tutorial so that others may release their own soundpacks with little difficulty, using the same config.  

3.  you guys clue me in on how to convert the config to a non-editable bin file.

4.  we get going on the digital signitures; it sounds fairly easy to implement but admittingly I don't know all the logistics.

Now since you will soon implement kicking users with modified config files, I imagine that the digital signitures would have to be updated with each new patch released.  To keep the addon up to date, it would be great if you guys could fire me off an e-mail telling me what values were being changed for each new patch you are going to release.  I could then update the addon and get it to you for the digital signiture check, and everything would be compatible when the new patch was released.    

This would likely keep everyone happy, stem cheating, yield no difficulties with multiplayer connectivity, and yet still provide minimal work on your part.  

In the future, perhaps the main config coding could be altered to allow for "sound references," and remove the need for me to update the config at all, but until then I think that this would keep things going smoothly in the community.  

ArmourDave,

I think an automated program to swap config files is an excellent idea and would make using mods that much easier.    smile.gif

Wright, would it be possible to remove the few classes such as `PKT` that are making clients crash if they dont have the sound addon so that not everyone would need to have the addon to play on a server? I dont know how much has been changed in the config for satchels sound addon but I think this would help the current situation. I think all your points are very valid, specially about getting your config.cpp changed to .bin. Though a short term solution to possible cheating it could be many months before binedit is released.

ArmourDave,

This is the first I have heard about "pkt" etc. causing problems. Could you tell me exactly what classes are causing conflicts? I am going home for the weekend but I could look at it Monday. Let me know.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wright @ Mar. 09 2002,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">3.  you guys clue me in on how to convert the config to a non-editable bin file.

4.  we get going on the digital signitures; it sounds fairly easy to implement but admittingly I don't know all the logistics.<span id='postcolor'>

I think we could provide some tools for this.

I would like to stress that 3 (non-editable bin file) is illusory, as there probably will be bin editor available soon (and anyone can edit config.bin with hexeditor).

For 4 we need to develop some in-game support first, and this will take some time.

Meanwhile I think we will have to live with what we already have.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wright @ Mar. 09 2002,20:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ArmourDave,

This is the first I have heard about "pkt" etc. causing problems.  Could you tell me exactly what classes are causing conflicts?  I am going home for the weekend but I could look at it Monday.  Let me know.<span id='postcolor'>

If you want to make the soundmod not to cause any problems when "soundmodded" and original ofp config players are mixed in multiplayer, you should not change any weapons or add new classes into the config... The PKT is an example of this in the soundmod, the default BMP weaponload is "Gun73","MachineGun7_6","AT3Launcher" and in this soundmod (the version I have on my HD) its changed to "Gun73","PKT","AT3Launcher". This itself I can imagine causes loads of problems in multiplayer when different players have different weapon loadouts in units, plus this "PKT" class doesnt exist in the original config, which I have seen causing so many crashes in multiplayer now that is not even funny tounge.gif (ie. when some people from my squad were still using that soundmod, sometimes when just starting a mission where there was a BMP half of the people crashed out of the game. Also, if the server has the soundmod and the client does not the client cannot even join the game if a mission with a BMP is loaded). I dont know if there are other new things than this PKT class but im sure you do...

Kegetys,

I was unaware that class additions were made in the config. As I said before, I just did the bare minimum to get it (at least at first glance) working, and I didn't really delve into all of the details of Satchels work. I'm just going to rewrite the darn thing from scratch and make sure it's up to specs with the current version. Hopefully this will get it working again.

Suma,

sounds good, I will let you know when I need to get it into a bin file. Just out of curiousity, how long do you think it will be before the next update gets released. If it's coming in the next week or something, maybe I should hold off a bit.

Ditto what kegetys has said, and to add it's very hard to know what's been changed and what's causing crashes because you get no error message usually. Only through close inspection of the official config and the soundmod config will more added classes be seen I guess.

Also I've noticed a curious "XX player is using modified config - CfgWeapons riffle" (or something similar) message even when ALL clients and the server are using the soundmod. Next time I see it I'll printscreen.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wright @ Mar. 09 2002,21:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sounds good, I will let you know when I need to get it into a bin file.  Just out of curiousity, how long do you think it will be before the next update gets released.  If it's coming in the next week or something, maybe I should hold off a bit.<span id='postcolor'>

There is no chance we could get digital signatures done in next update to come. The next update should be released soon, as server admins need us to fix the bugs we made in 1.45/46.

I think we could have it ready with OFP: Resistance.