Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

Vista Ultimate X64 with loads of Ram

What i would like to know is:

-does anyone know if arma will even launch with 8GB in your system?

I only want people that actually have Vista64 to reply, so no "i heard" or "i think" stuff, just real world experiences.

To answer the original question (not sure if it has been answered yet and didnt want to read a bunch of posts...)

YES. I run ARMA on my system:

Asus Rampage Formula X48, Intel QX9770 o'c to 4.0, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Cooler Master Stacker 830 case, 8 GB Geil EVO One DDR2 PC2-8500 @1066, EVGA 9800GX2 Factory OverClocked KO, X-Fi Platinum, X3 800 watt PSU, 20" Samsung 215TW 1680 x 1050, 2 x Segate 500GB Baracuda ES in Raid 0, 1 x Segate 750GB Barracuda ES, Samsung 1TB Spinpont F1, Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

It loads and plays just fine with 8GB ram and Vista 64 (thanks to the new patch). Before, it would not load with anything greater than 3072GB (the black load screen problem). So, I quit playing it for a long time. Recently I noticed a new patch, 1.14, and figured I'd give it another shots. Now the game loads and plays great with all 8GB.

Have you people thought of xp64 ?

For me that runs great on my 8800gt 4gig ram.

I personaly dont like vista for my graphics and audio work so i went for xp64.

It runs much more smooth on most apps than xp32 and i am guessing much smoother than vista to.

For me xp64 rocks.

XP64 isn't really XP, its like a rebranded version of Server 2003, so it can potentially have more problems than Vista, especially considering that newer games are going to be increasingly optimized for Vista.

Well i can tell you that xp64 (server2003) is great for me so far.

I am a game freak myself and test a lot of new pc game titles on this sytem and so far they all work for me.

For dx9* games i can realy recommend 64 bit xp

Works nice with 4gig ram to.

So none of the potential problems seen that you discribe.

I did have those problems with vista do.

That's fair enough. The thing is that some people can get lucky and some wont. Unfortunately, Vista is the way forward, and as more games will be optimized for it and its successors, Vista 64 would probably be a better investment for future proofing. That was my point, not that XP64 was bad or anything.

I agree with Vista64 as being the next step in OS's. It has a BOAT-LOAD of overhead but it's all worth it for "overall" performance and security.

As a part-time computer consultant I highly recommend my customers stick with XP32 or 2000. All they mostly deal with is text or Photoshop/Illustrator, some MAX users I say get Vista64 if you can afford the new MAX. For us -gamers- I highly recommend moving to Vista64 and running a Linux server separately for a ded-server. At least give the OS a week or two to finish it's auto-search, nag about installations, learn your most used apps, and autodefrag enough to not hog resources before you bitch and moan of how slow it is. It's far from slow for me now.

The way I figure it is if you think a power supply is a black cable that plugs in the back of a computer then stick with XP32, or better yet buy an Apple. If you can't afford a new computer and printer then stick with XP32. Nothing wrong with XP32 if you have no option to get Vista64, but don't buy Vista32 that's just a waste of your time and money. Also ignore the fact that it may have a bug with ArmA. Because ArmA is literally the only program on my Vista64 that has any sort of problem out of at least 30-40 games, apps, and utilities I use. And a problem in ArmA 1.14 is a rarity.

This is all just my opinion. tounge2.gif

tried arma again with a HD 4870 and the new Cat 8.6 drivers in the hopes i'd see a change

no such luck

i've had vista x64 for 18 months now and wouldn't go back.

aside from the ability to have more than 3.25gb ram, it runs far more stable.

there is some junk that runs by default (such as handwriting recognition process used by tablets) that can easily be turned off using msconfig.

And as others have suggested, unless u have a mother who thinks shes won a free laptop on every other website, disable User Acccount Control.

Comparing fps with XP, I have no idea, I had vista x64 longer than arma.