Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

CAT Afghanistan, ported by PMC

this is cool, i enjoy screwing around in arma sometimes off mission, and it's nice to relive the glory days, and countless hours i spent playing OFP, and maps of this such. i wish someone would port DMA LIBYA, and my own Arabia map, I would def be forever grateful, as would the community! If anyone wants to try to screw around with my arabia map, shoot me a PM, I am on my second tour in iraq, and neither have the time, or original PBOs from OFP to work on it. On topic, great map.

This is great it was one of my favourite maps for OFP and I hope the bugs get fixed. But we need a Taliban /opium warlord addon!

Quote[/b] ]HUnd:

hmm....roads dont seem to work. If that gets fixed I all set and ready.

I just tested road last night, it appears to work ok (at least the one leading from airport to the first city). Can you provide more details where the roads dont work?

Quote[/b] ]NoRailgunner:

Walk in the dark with luminous and flying plants.

Yeah that is a strange lighting bug, I'll definitely try to fix it.

Quote[/b] ]naash:

I don't know if you planed to fix some bugs by the way, I report here several ones :

- most of the laders don't work

- some buildings are to high (compared to the ground level) so doors are not available

Ladders are known ArmA issue, nothing I can do that for now. As for buildings height, I'll try to see where such objects are located and align them properly.

Quote[/b] ]Miles Teg:

PLEASE do not give up fixing it up as such maps are extremely important for the growth of Middle East type addons (which I know some people hate, but most ArmA players love including myself).

Yeah there has been good feedback enough for me to continue editing this. I'll try to release fixed version if I cant get those fixes done.

Quote[/b] ]Uziyahu--IDF:

I'd just like to see those buildings with proper shadows, casting proper shadows.

Indeed, thats one part of ArmA editing I havent yet done but I think in our wiki there is already shadow tutorial so I'll take a moment and try to create the shadow LODs.

Quote[/b] ]Stewy:

Damn, is 1.12 really needed? Can I get away with 1.08?

[CAS] Daniel :

Likewise, would this really not work with 1.11? Didn't realise anything had changed in terms of islands...

Nothing was changed, but it eases up the bug reporting etc to have it only run on the latest version and why not run the latest anyways.

Quote[/b] ]berowe:

I get tons of memory crashes and other random crashes to desktop on this map

FPS-wise though it runs as smooth as ramadi, so I don't know where the crashes would come from (I'm not a tech guy at all)-- like it was said before they happen even more often when I try flying around.

Well thats just it, the 4WVR wrp terrains cause CTD if you fly with high viewdistances. I run my ArmA on 2500m viewdistance and never had a crash flying helos.

Quote[/b] ]The ladders work when you add the buildings in the editor, but they don't in the map. If someone can fix the object height errors and things it would be great, but even buggy this is still an awesome map.

As said known problem and I'll take a look at the object heights.

Quote[/b] ]Commando84:

i think it was stated in the readme that you shouldn't fly with high viewdistance due to risc of CTD.

Thats true, known problem for 4WVR terrains.

Quote[/b] ]olemissrebel:

i wish someone would port DMA LIBYA, and my own Arabia map, I would def be forever grateful, as would the community!

The problem with porting DMA Libya and therefore yours is that the first includes so many permissions that I dont even know where to begin. If someone hunted down all the DMA Libya authors (I mean there was several unless I'm totally mistaken) and got permissions for me to port it, I would try to do it.

So far I know that these are the required addons:

Mapfact Oil Addon 1.02

Mapfact barracks 1.5

Mapfact MilObj-Pack 1.0

Mapfact Airport/Mines 1.2

3WX Object Pack 1.1

Thats tons of addons smile_o.gif

Anyways.

Thanks for everyone for the feedback, much appreciated and nice to see you guys are enjoying it. I'll now try to fix some of the stuff in there, I cannot give any promises if anything gets done, but I'll try. So stay tuned and keep those bug reports and suggestions coming.

if i may ask:

about the ladders: where did/do you have and how did you set your map?

I have no solution for the infamous ladder WRP problem. The ladders work on mission editor placed objects but not on WRP placed. Thats all I know. Sorry.

sorry if i wasn't clear..

where do you have your map? P:\ca\Map or P:\Map ?

and sorry if this "sounds" offtopic.

I was playing a small editor test match on this map and some buildings and walls where hovering above the ground and was able to walk through them!!! Please fix, lovely map by the way.

keep working at it.

IRAQ IS THE WAR OF TODAY! pistols.gifwhistle.gif

where do you have your map? P:\ca\Map or P:\Map ?

Neither, its on CATintro\isl\ dir if I recall correctly (sorry dont have the files here with me now to check), but anyway it was not any of those BIS visitor 3 dirs, this terrain has nothing to do with visitor.

Guest Ti0n3r

Thanks! One of my all time favorite 'islands' notworthy.gif

You should however fix the flying objects problem

Would anyone be willing to help me out on this, to do some re-texturing of the objects?

Are you talking standard texturing or bump mapped textures as well, I can help with standards, but haven't attempted any mapped textures before, feel free to pm some of the source textures if you have them and I will see what I can do, just one building to start with would be an idea.

Austin.

I was thinking of me merging as many of the textures as possible (all would be superb), and then someone with texturing skills to touch up the textures.

Making normal/specular maps is dead easy, that is no problem I can do those myself. Actually I already merged textures for the mosque.

A wonderfull map, exept for two things:

1. Floating bushes and rocks,

2. walking through buildings

If those issues are solved, this map is truly great.

I especially love the new buildings.

This ported Astan map need some work here and there wink_o.gif

build1bf6.th.jpg grass1qi1.th.jpg stones1if5.th.jpg mix1aw1.th.jpg bush1pp9.th.jpg

> buildings with solid walls, some building positions for AI, working ladders

> better placed rocks, stones, grass and bushes

> more rounded terrain edges

Please keep working on this baby! I do have two questions did the old version in OFP have a Hard Runway and a Cave area? A few more tweeks and she will be perfect.