Sign in to follow this  
beta

Max. recommended number of active triggers?

I haven't had the opportunity to test this on a server with a load of people (max. of 80).

How many simultaneous triggers could be run?

I do realize it would depend on their conditions, but I just want a general ballpark number that I should avoid getting near.

Also, I would assume this number would be different on clients and servers (dedicated). Would you be able to run more triggers on a client or on the server? How many more?

I know there are a lot of people here who would have much more experience than me in this, so thanks for your responses.

I think the only way you find out what suits your purpose is to test it.

You can create triggers on demand.

You can delete triggers after they have become useless.

Of course your target will be to have the minimal possible number of triggers. Obvious it should be, but it not always seem to be the case. People often have triggers in their missions which are not really needed, I have noticed.

I'd say 50 is a good max, any more and your going a bit excessive. rofl.gif

You shouldnt really need too many. A relatively short script can do what a hundred triggers could do and it keeps things tidy as well.

You should be fine.

I've had upwards of 70 in one mission, without a noticeable hit at all. Although, they were dynamically created.

Quote[/b] ]I would assume this number would be different on clients and servers (dedicated). Would you be able to run more triggers on a client or on the server? How many more?

If the server is dedicated, you'd probably be better off running the triggers locally. But from my experience the performance hit is so small (from what I've seen), it'd probably be easier to just use them on the server.

This also might be helpful.

I wouldn't really worry about "how many can run". The answer is basically infinite.

Worry more about what you do "in practice".

What I mean is, if you were to make a mission with hundreds of triggers, chances are it would be far, far easier (on you as the designer) to move some or most of that functionality into scripts.

In practice, I haven't seen any noticeable difference between a map with 0 triggers, and one with 1000 triggers. But this is with no scripted conditions. Of course, if you had 1000 triggers, all running "nearestObject" checks in their condition, then you would have massive problems.

In general, I think people tend to over-worry about the "intensity" of scripts. The vast, vast majority of scripts have zero noticable effect on game speeds. There are only certain commands that cause lag, when used in massive amounts.

Also consider trigger size and how many times it may be activated.

I remember Snypir's Laser detection method used a trigger that covered the whole island. I found this massive trigger with other triggers inside it (for other uses) to be a problem for FPS.

Now you can dynamically spawn a trigger and delete it after its purpose is fulfilled and then spawn it again later. Logically, this would be the best solution. Its a good I idea to put well over the amount you need just to see what the limitations are for whatever you are using the triggers for. You will get a sense of what you can get away with pretty quickly.

I have to agree that it's not the number of triggers but the intensity of triggers and scripts for that matter. I do everything in scripts unless it HAS to be a trigger. Scripting in MUCH more efficient and powerful in Arma than it was in OFP. You can do a lot with scripts, almost to the level of that of a platform like Unreal.

--Ben