Sign in to follow this  
HuBBa

Localized damage?

Posted this on the addonforum but this is prob a better place for it.

Why isnt there localized damage on vehicles. It should be fairly easy to use a bounding box algorithms to determine what zone it was hit in and do things acordingly. This would do a bunch of nice things...

1) if you shoot a vehicle through a window, nothing will happen to the actual vehicle (except perhaps broken glass smile.gif, but if you shoot it through the engine (with a good enuf gun) it will not move.

2) You could take out tires on cars =)

This would add immensly to the realism of the game if it would be added and im sure you have considered it during the development process. So it would be interesting to know why it was dropped and if it is planned for any future upgrades/addons/products. Im pretty sure VBS would benefit from it too smile.gif

Regards,

[FILO] HuBBa

Apparently its already added (cant belive i missed it smile.gif

But maybe it should be a bit more balanced. I actually blew up a Trabant by shooting on the tires smile.gif And although the Trabant is bad its not THAT bad... maybe the tires were Firestone smile.gif

I like the way in a tank fight you can destroy the main gun but the rest of the tank is in perfect shape. Have had 3 Abrams driving around me with no gun, now they ain't much use. Its also great how the enemy never hits you again after they damage your main gun. Just go right up to them and fire and they never shot you.

That gun thing is really a problem sometimes; a seemingly dead tank prevents a trigger from going off and as you say, the AI ignores it. That means I have to personally go around and plink every half-dead tank with a LAW to make the trigger go off.

• Like 1

Btw:

In reality it happens very seldom that a tanks main gun ist taken out of order by hits

first reason is because most Tanks dont survive first hit, second ist because that gun makes the smallest part of the whole Tank, and isn't that easy to hit.

It happens much to often in OFP...!

• Like 1

Damage could be much more complex in OFP, with localized damage affecting the operation of the vehicle in proper ways, but you'd have to figure in differing armor thicknesses and a lot of other variables and this would probably but an unacceptable load on the CPU. Obviously vehicles aren't depicted with the same level of precision as infantry combat is in the game, but I think BIS struck the right balance with the available technology and capability.

Maybe in IL we'll see a more sophisticated vehicle damage modeling system.

The same can be said for building damage. I really doubt that one LAW can take out a whole castle. Instead of turning into a heap of a twisted building, it should leave a crater. The same goes with other buildings.

Can a .50 BMG shoot through a house in OFP? It can in real life. I have seen one tear down a cinder block wall before, it was pretty cool. Its a bit unrealistic to see a plaster/drywall stop any kind of bullet.

Tyler

yes, building damage looks just a bit too much like a piece of messed up paper

i still think you should beable to go up to the tank and put your gun through the window and shoot everyone inside like spr or able to throuigh nades in the top hatch