Sign in to follow this  
blackgrain

Server performance, correct values??

Hello!!

I have hard doubts about the correct performance of dedicated server... huh.gif

In this document http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/basic.cfg we can read "normal" values.. but.. what is normal? normal compared with that?...

We can read this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

The greatest level of optimization can be achieved by setting the MaxMsgSend and MinBandwidth parameters. For a server with 1024 kbps we recommend the following values:

MaxMsgSend = 256;

MinBandwidth = 768000;

If I have 512 kbps instead of 1024 kbps upload speed... the values are exactly the half??:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

MaxMsgSend = 128;

MinBandwidth = 384000;

And the rest of parameters...

MaxBandwidth = 10000000000;

MaxMsgSend = 256;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;

MinErrorToSend = 0.005;

What will be the best values for 512 kbps?? the half values too?? huh.gif

Excuse my ignorance... i'm very lost ... crazy_o.gif ... in the last test with #monitor command the server show 5 and 9 fps... this is to slow... crazy_o.gif ... and clients machines experiencing to much lag...

Another question about #monitor comand:

The command show me 3 values, the first value is the FPS that server runs... (in this values i have not doubts)... but.. the next two values??... what means??? confused_o.gif

Thanks guys!! thanks very much!! notworthy.gif

2nd and 3rd param are in- and out-going traffic (or the other way round).

FPS from monitor

> 10 = all fine as far as I can remember

10 < x < 5 = still ok

< 5 = lag / desync

2nd and 3rd param are in- and out-going traffic (or the other way round).

FPS from monitor

> 10 = all fine as far as I can remember

10 < x < 5 = still ok

< 5 = lag / desync

My experience with FPS on server, is that when it's over 20, things work ok and AI is not overstupid...

When FPS is between 20-15, strange things start to happen and you don't always get the same result on things.

Below 15 FPS, stop mission, it's to heavy for the server.

Just my experience. As a comment to Q's reply

PS: My bad sorry. My experience is mainly based on OFP dedicated

server values in that regard. This may have changed!

Ok!! then... 5 fps is really bad news!! tounge2.gif thanks for your help!! wink_o.gif

Please... maybe... somebody can write his server configuration for compare (performance values) with my own??, please!! notworthy.gif

Thanks!! wink_o.gif

With framerates like that i doubt it has anything to do with your line. What hardware are u trying to run the server exe on? CPU type and speed and amount of RAM are the most important specs, from their it might be possible to ascertain what kind of framerate u can expect.

ArmA is one of the most server intensive games around, its not like BF2 and CS:S where u can use some old netburst pentium 4e and expect it to run smooth.

first step is to lock the server.exe to one core, this stops the OS moving it around if u have a dual core or HT CPU, this in itself induces lag, as the exe is halted moved and restarted.

i would agree with the above...from my experience fps on the server is mainly down to cpu...let me give you an example:

i was running the dedicated on x2 amd3800+ @ 2ghz. The fps on a particular mission was 3.

i changed to core 2 duo e2160 @ 1.8ghz and the fps has jumped to 17-18fps. I overclocked the cpu to 2.9ghz and fps has gone up to 27-28 fps and higher...

both systems had 2gb memory.

i have locked the exe in one core..but haven't seen any difference either lock it or not....

Thanks Tomcat and Escobar! wink_o.gif

My server (well... the server is not mine... his owner is a friend ;D) is a integrated-all-in-one tounge2.gif VIA C7 1.5 Ghz with 1 GB RAM... basically.. is a little box without coolers and without noise ;D

Well... If any visible reason, the next day of my posted the server give to me 49 fps with the same mission... icon_rolleyes.gif ... I don´t know why... but it is... may be... any problem with internet line.... i don´t now.

Now, really I'm very interested in the performance values... at least... for a line with 512 kbs of upload... somebody can post his server values?? thanks!! notworthy.gif

Quote[/b] ]Below 15 FPS, stop mission, it's to heavy for the server.

I disagree with that. Around 10fps is ok. On ofp we play cti and always get 7 to 10 fps on q6600 server and it runs fine. If fps is like 3 then you can say mission is to heavy for server.

Quote[/b] ]Below 15 FPS, stop mission, it's to heavy for the server.

I disagree with that. Around 10fps is ok. On ofp we play cti and always get 7 to 10 fps on q6600 server and it runs fine. If fps is like 3 then you can say mission is to heavy for server.

I would say that when you have less than 10-15 FPS on the server, AI don't know what they are doing. You might end up with triggers or scripts that is processed different for the client's.

Yes I also play missions with low FPS on the server, but everytime it gets below 20-15, random problems occure. Not that ArmA crashes or anything, but the clan reports AI that does strange things and other problems.

But then again, maybe 5-10 FPS on the server is OK when you play PvP, but when you play agains AI (coop) I say you need atleast 15...

But I'm no guru at this. I you say you have no problems with 5 FPS, that's good news.

if your server hits 5-10 FPS on a PvP then your really need some new hardware.

there is very little scripting/trigger etc overhead on a true PvP mission (CTF/A&D/C&H). unlike the majority or COOP which are heavily scripted.

it is for these reasons that knowledgable server hosts would offer different specs for different game types.

a server that can handle a 32man CTF mission could easily get overwhelmed if a 32man COOP/EVO was used on the same settings.