Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Oxygen not being freely distributed online!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for feedback. I have to admit the reaction is exactly the same as expected. Please understand it was difficult to make this decision but it was the best decision possible at the moment. Yes, we hoped to give Oxygen to public in February and I promissed I'll try to do my best to achieve this goal. Anyway, this goas has proven impossible from many reasons and we had to find a different solution on behalf of the game, the community and future. And my advice to Kegetys or any other ambitious mod maker is to send an email request to the adress given .

in the original news thread instead of hoping that someone will break rules and hack the software for him.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LBGS_Stewart @ Mar. 01 2002,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">there are all this people out here that dont want cheaters in the game ect. look at it this way, in a way its proventing cheaters. if they give it out to the people who are doing thos big mods such as  invashion 44 and such, the ones that are deadicated in doing this they will look into reashure and find out what all the specs are to put in it.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, Editing a model or an island has absolutely nothing to do with cheating. If you want to edit vehicles in a cheating way, you can do that right now by editing the config.cpp with notepad. And OFP already has a protection for that (which yet doesnt work on dedicated servers though).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ Mar. 01 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First of all, I would like to thank everyone for feedback. I have to admit the reaction is exactly the same as expected. Please understand it was difficult to make this decision but it was the best decision possible at the moment. Yes, we hoped to give Oxygen to public in February and I promissed I'll try to do my best to achieve this goal. Anyway, this goas has proven impossible from many reasons and we had to find a different solution on behalf of the game, the community and future. And my advice to Kegetys or any other ambitious mod maker is to send an email request to the adress given .

in the original news thread instead of hoping that someone will break rules and hack the software for him.<span id='postcolor'>

Could you please explain why it was the best sollution? What are the reasons for not being able to release it to everyone?

So we need to be patient...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Yes, we hoped to give Oxygen to public in February and I promissed I'll try to do my best to achieve this goal. Anyway, this goas has proven impossible from many reasons and we had to find a different solution on behalf of the game, the community and future.<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds fair to me.  biggrin.gif

Quote :

---------

However, we've decided to not distribute the tools freely on the Internet now and we want to focus on supporting selected projects that will be really beneficial for whole OpFlash community.

---------

I have already posted and I modified it, because having read the official news again and again, and maruks latest post, I do have hope for the future, (tell me if I am wrong Maruk)

I was noticing the little word *now* . It will not be released *now*. So, basically it *could* be released at a later date smile.gif

I truly hope so smile.gif

I'm very disappointed. I was getting the information together to make a 2B9 82-mm Vasilyek Automatic Mortar, and now, what am I supposed to do? Get together a team of people, make some models with the wrong software, start a website and then ask if I can get the tools to actually start work on it? Please.

Yeah, 95% of add-ons would be crap, and 99% of those crappy add-ons would never be released because the maker would get bored. IF they had wanted to do it this way and had told us a few weeks ago, a lot fewer people would be ticked off. I don't understand why if the problem is that they "want to focus on supporting selected projects that will be really beneficial for whole OpFlash community". Then just release a general manual for the rest of us, and give support to the 'selected projects'. I mean, how much work was done with the editor without official support? Did that somehow damage the game? Again, please. It's weak customer relations and damages any relationship they have with their customers.

Cheers,

Dr. Charm

2 BIS

LOL

I wasnt surprised by readind your news about MOD tools smile.gif I knew it smile.gif

Wanna make more money on this game? it can be understood...

This has to be one of the most retarded decisions in the history of retarded decisions. Well done BIS, you just fucked your game up the ass.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bloodmixer @ Feb. 28 2002,23:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was noticing the little word *now* . It will not be released *now*. So, basically it *could* be released at a later date smile.gif

I truly hope so smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, we still plan to make the tools available to wider public audience later. There are more options how to do it and after we decide what will be the final way, I can say more about it. For now, we offer the tools to selected individual projects or modelers because it's the only viable working solution we have at the moment.

We believe it's much better for the community of Operation Flashpoint even if we can understand some people complaining they can't get the tools immediately.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ Mar. 01 2002,00:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[Yes, we still plan to make the tools available to wider public audience later. There are more options how to do it and after we decide what will be the final way, I can say more about it. For now, we offer the tools to selected individual projects or modelers because it's the only viable working solution we have at the moment.

We believe it's much better for the community of Operation Flashpoint even if we can understand some people complaining they can't get the tools immediately.<span id='postcolor'>

hmm..the smaller (and sooner releasing) mods arent getting a the tools yet...so the OFP community will get bored and OFP:Resistance will sell better because of that....nice way to make more $$$.

mad.gif Grrrrrrrrr....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 28 2002,23:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aww I just came from playin OFP and heard this, which I consider very bad news. Im not part of any mod maker, as I never can work for the same thing for too long... I have to keep make different kind of stuff (As some of you might have noticed with my ofp things). I find it difficult to understand why BIS decided not to release the tools for everyone... Sure, one reason might be that there would be alot of "crap" or joke addons made, but theres those already, and I havent seen them hurting the community in any way.

Another thing I fear that might happen now, is that the community will start dying... Im sure no mod will be ready for a good while, when the mod maker people have to learn to use the tools that they get, and then do all the things for their mod. This means it will be a long time before we will get anything new from the community, during that time we will have to stay still with current stuff. For now we have been doing texture editing, but theres almost anything you could ever imagine doable that way already done. If everyone could get the tools, there would be some nice new things released every now and then keeping the community alive and giving OFP new life...

It might sound evil for BIS, but I really, really hope that the tools will leak from somewhere for everyone to use. Tracing down the source of the leak would be rather impossible (unless BIS watermarks each copy somehow) so it propably will happen eventually. If I will get my hands on them someday, I will leak them for everyone, thats for sure. Unless BIS can give me some really good reasons why not to do so...

Edit: What I wonder now, is that if someone will leak them and BIS finds out who it were, would they go into suing that person? Im sure that would totally kill BIS' reputation as the coolest developers ever, at least in my eyes, I would never buy one BIS product again...<span id='postcolor'>

*shakes fist at BIS*

Aww, bis, Now look what you done, you made Kegeteys cry!!!

I don't know what to say. I agree and i don't agree with BIS. I think i undertand them and i'm not mad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rick Nieuwenhuis @ Mar. 01 2002,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmm..the smaller (and sooner releasing) mods arent getting a the tools yet...<span id='postcolor'>

This is just something you're saying - but it doesn't mean it should be necessarily true. We don't judge quality of a concept by its scope.

While I'm not the most happy person with this dicision, wink.gif , there has to be something the mod makers can do. While I myself am not a mod maker (wish I was), I have some ideas

1. Group of independent mod makers band togeather with common goal of making their own independent mods. They would just release them as a group.

2. All independent mod makers send in requests to the email adress provided.

3. Still working on it, but any other ideas that don't involve criminal action are welcome.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ Mar. 01 2002,01:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bloodmixer @ Feb. 28 2002,23:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was noticing the little word *now* . It will not be released *now*. So, basically it *could* be released at a later date smile.gif

I truly hope so smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, we still plan to make the tools available to wider public audience later. There are more options how to do it and after we decide what will be the final way, I can say more about it. For now, we offer the tools to selected individual projects or modelers because it's the only viable working solution we have at the moment.

We believe it's much better for the community of Operation Flashpoint even if we can understand some people complaining they can't get the tools immediately.<span id='postcolor'>

"it's the only viable working solution" Could you _please_ explain us all why it is so? Is it just that you dont want the community to make something that makes OFP Resistance useless, or are there something im not seeing here?

I guess I misunderstood your post about the matter a bit... I understood that they would never get released for the public, but then again how long will it be before everyone gets them.

Anyway, personally, I dont know how much I could do with the tools... im not that good modeler, but im sure there are quite alot of people out there who are good modelers, but are just like me who dont plan anything they do, just check out things they get on their mind and see if it would result in something nice. This is of course not possible if you dont know the limits (as in having the editors and see what they can do)... I never had any plans of doing a winter kolgujev, but I had the idea when I was looking around at the island .wrp files and I tried editing one texture... Well, the texture path was wrong and it resulted in a plain white texture that looked a bit like snow, and it looked rather good and thats where I got my idea for Winter Kolgujev. Its the same thing now, I dont know what I would do with Oxygen or Visitor, but I *might* come up with something nice if I could get to try them out, but I dont know that. And having to sign a written agreement without knowing if I ever need the tools feels kindof dumb...

I would really want the tools out for everyone as fast as possible before people lose interest to ofp, im sure theres plenty of people out there with alot of talent but nothing to show you before they get to try the possibilies of the tools.

btw going a bit offtopic, I have a birthday today... 18 years now... When I heard that an announcement about oxygen would be made today I was kinda hoping it would be good news, would have been a perfect birthday present :/

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Feb. 28 2002,23:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I wonder now, is that if someone will leak them and BIS finds out who it were, would they go into suing that person?<span id='postcolor'>

We're going to fully trust everyone that will promiss us not leaking the tools without our permission. It will be part of our gentlemen agreement. I have to say it would be very sad thing if we provide you with the tools under the condition that you're not going to release it to anyone and you would do it anyway.

FOr christ sake, will you lot stop complaining, your like a bunch of old grannies that are upset cus you will miss bingo this week mad.gif

If you make a good enough model Im 100% sure BIS will give you oxygen.

I think they will allow a SA80 and that littlebird fore sure biggrin.gif

All I want is a toyota pickup with a 50 mounted in the back.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS< YOU SHOULD BE JUMPING WITH JOY biggrin.gif

I think Maruk is making it pretty clear.

If you are a mod maker (regardless of size), ask the question, state your case, prove your worth. Has anyone even applied yet? Has anyone been approved or denied the tools? confused.gif

It's still early days people, let's not fly off the handle all-together.   smile.gif

I think Maddock has the right idea here. How many people have applied? and if you haven't go try. If never hurts to try.

Im realy pleased BIS made this decision, before I thought there would be tons of crappy addons like headless chickens and spaceships, now I am reassured. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I cant wait it will be fun to see what is released and nice to know that the addon will have been approved by BIS.

Another sensible reason why BIS didnt release it to anybody is becuase they would have wasted their time making the resistance mod becuase people could make similar copies before the game is released by using screen shots of stuff like the motorbike

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 28 2002,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think this is a good decision becuase now we're not going to get a lot of useless addons.<span id='postcolor'>

Why if an addon is bought out do you have too put it in your addons folder, or leave it there when you realise its rubbish!

Really I could care less if I got the tools cause I know nothing when it comes to 3d editing...

However I think that Bis should let people like me get the tools so that I could learn to make simple weapons and such(Id most likely leave it to the pro's though...)

I dont want a full mod for OFP(except, of course, Op. Vietnam), Im happy with the game I got and the only thing I want out of the tools are new weapons/vehicles Etc etc etc...

I just hope that sooner or later Bis (I wouldnt see why the wouldnt as time passes...) releases the tools top the public so I can finnaly fullfill my dreams of wiping out the Red Army in a video game(in the editor, I dont want a USA-China war to download...I wanna make hte missions myself!wink.gif

Im sure people would make chinese models!

Also these full game mods will be hard on my 56k modem..

I think we are all forgeting that there will be third party tools available to make addons and create maps. There are allready tools to convert to and from obj format and I have seen a tool for creating new and altered islands. Third party tools will solve the problem and for the RPG types and I dont object to bohemia et al getting recompence for their ideas.

I just wander if bohemia have thought about the costs to them of creating all the new addons when the community would make them for free.

For new models. I think some kind of submission for aproval of a model via recognised aproved mod makers would have to be created. Gosh all the beurocrats will be happy.

Regards walker

Yes, Marek is telling you INDIVIDUAL MOD MAKERS to simply submit your plans!! If it has merit, they will get the tools to you on the promise that you won't leak the tools. As I said in my original post, there is nothing in Marek's statement as he now EXPLICITY states, that limits distribution of the tool to large organized teams of mod makers.

And people who get these tools, PLEASE, for GOD'S SAKE, don't betray BIS and leak them out. If you agree to a non-disclosure agreement, aside from any legal liabilities you may incur, you are giving your word as human beings that you will adhere to the terms of that agreement. If you don't think you can do that, then simply don't take the tools. Show some damned responsiblity.