Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Oxygen not being freely distributed online!

ACT SMILEY, you make some good comments. I have to confess that 80% of my OFP time is in mission making, scripting and game modification. I love it.

I have to concur with young RalphWiggum. At least at this stage I'm happy for BIS to keep the reins on the release of these tools.

As far as 'BIS the pusher': think of it as controlled substance abuse, if we can handle a taste, they'll let us go on our merry way. tounge.gif

Hey, all in all, its a good move.  I feel for you folks who can do 3d modelling and were anticipating creating the orange pterydachtols or whatever it was, but look at it this way.  BIS is insisting that the "project" be a non-commercial project.  That way it has to be free for the community.  By determining which projects get the tools, they also keep crap like "Columbine High" and "crazed sex killer" mods from badly tarnishing the image of this game and BIS.  Marek did NOT say that there was any requirement that the "project" be some huge undertaking.  Now, they may limit it to a complete mod, but you never know, its really completely up to them.  The good news is that it is now available and do you really think BIS would deny the tools to any of these hot mods everyone has been waiting for like the I1944, Vietnam or Eastern Front mods?  Hopefully, we'll start to see a trickling of some of these fantastic models already created.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I feel for you folks who can do 3d modelling and were anticipating creating the orange pyteredachtols<span id='postcolor'>

WHAT! Is there some kinda stereotype for amateur-model makers that I don't know about! All you ppl think we want to create is dinosaurs, Tie Fighters and laser guns!

As the little Martian dude said:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Ooh, it makes me very angry"<span id='postcolor'>

Oh Agua.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

... orange pyteredachtols ...<span id='postcolor'>

BRAVO!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Hopefully, we'll start to see a trickling of some of these fantastic models already created. <span id='postcolor'>

Damn Straight!

I think this is great news. This way we can have high-quality addons, and keep track of the numbers and which are the best around. The tough side of the decision lies (offcourse) with the "smaller-type" and "amaturistic" addonmakers. But for the big public this is the best solution they could have made as this time.

Bet ya oxigen will be released to the bigger public when the community slows down and needs a shot of vitality...

Hey, I DID plan at one point on making a Skoda Favorit estate (with ability to sit in the boot biggrin.gif ) but decided I was too bad at 3d graphics to do more than admire that I could do anything at all wink.gif

I considered applying for Visitor, but nobody would grant it to some nutter with a dodgy map on a crumpled bit of paper. It stops ideas getting off the ground. Most of the crap wouldn't be released and even less of it used.

Mods don't tarnish the name if they're free and have the "THIS IS UNOFFICIAL AND NOT MADE OR SUPPORTED BY BIS OR CM" line in it.

My view will come as no surprise to anyone who read my mod thoughts a few months back, personally I applaud the decision taken by Bis and agree with what RalphWiggum said smile.gif

If you're genuinely serious about making a mod then surely you have no problem with getting a team together, doing some ground work, creating a few models and a website to show Bis that you're genuine about making a mod, then you'll get the tools, where's the drama in that? smile.gif

Well, BIS has the right to do whatever they want, and if they want to withhold the editing tools from the general public, then thats their decision.

BUT, why the hell did they even say they would release it in the first place??? This whole "Oxygen released before end of Feb." thing was a crock of shit. I for one would have been a lot happier if they never mentioned it at all then to pull this stunt. Waiting til the VERY last day of February to say that they WERENT gonna release it?confused.gif?? Not very sound business decisions...

Anyways, does this mean that BIS will only release it to teams making full mods of th egame, or could someone with a really good model or two get it also?

It's good and it's bad news, and responses in this thread show it. I think the BAD thing is, is that the official news (and in an interview) was that Oxygen WOULD be released to public and now....it isn't.

I am still glad some MODs are going to get it though, but it is a bit of a setback for me as I, and as some others I presume wanted to give a spin to Oxygen.

Therefore I hope if someone of CM/BIS reads this, will seriously reconsider to release Oxygen for download under an UCLA, like GMax.

...Bloodmixer

Fine, I do in fact have a team, a "mod" (user made campaign witth addons) and some models and a website (check it out, link below, rant about Oxygen coming soon!wink.gif ). Are BIS going to give me the tools JUST because I have these. Why should I get the tools over the next team, or why should the next mod team get them instead of me. This is an online community ppl. Everyone paid for the game (well all those who don't have strange slowdown and wacky graphics!wink.gif ), why should the select few get it ahead of everyone who actually wants it.

I'll keep you ppl informed of my attempts to get Oxygen for my mod.

MrCrispPacket, I look forward to hearing how you go talking to BIS, and getting the tools.

Remember to be polite and Good Luck. biggrin.gif

I'm glad that BIS has made the right decision.

If they had released it to anyone then there would be too many different models of the same thing like SA80, huey etc.

Also for people that are lucky enough to have a fast enough connection to play online, it would mean everybody would have to download shitloads of addons to play

I'm not going to make a major mod - I never planned to. I just intended to make a good new island. This, as I said before, leaves me totally in the pisser. I probably wouldn't get given Visitor as I don't have a hugely flashy site, or a large team and nobody would grant it to some nutter with a dodgy map on a crumpled bit of paper. It stops ideas and mods getting off the ground. If I got given it, everybody would. At that point, it would show that it should be for free download. If an average OFP fan like me can't get it, then a gap will be created in the community between those who can and those who can't. With a fractured community, no game will last, even if its one of the best out there.

Basically, whatever crap is cut out is offset by the lack of people giving it a try and creating something good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ACT SMILEY @ Feb. 28 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not going to make a major mod - I never planned to. I just intended to make a good new island.<span id='postcolor'>

So then you join a mod team solely as their island maker, where's the drama in that? smile.gif

ACT SMILEY has grasped the point precisely.

It's all very well for you ppl who haven't tried 3d modelling, you don't loose out, you just get high quality addons.

Imagine if BIS had applied this to mission editing - they'd only give you the mission editor and allow you to make missions if you had a team, an idea, a website and some good concepts. You'd be pissed too. It's the same thing in principle

"If they had released it to anyone then there would be too many different models of the same thing like SA80, huey etc."

True, but the best would soon be used above the average ones. Missions would bundle them or link to them, so nothing would really be affected.

"Also for people that are lucky enough to have a fast enough connection to play online, it would mean everybody would have to download shitloads of addons to play"

Not really, as all it takes is a bit of intelligence to use only a few and mention it before the game - its no different than complaining that the OH-58 is useless and increased the size of Upgrade 3 for no reason.

I'm not a great fan of large mod teams without direction. If I joined a mod team, I'd have others stepping on my toes and saying things like "Oh, move that base, I need it 1km east for mission 5" and someone else saying "Nah, move it a touch south" and "that hill is too big" etc. etc.

Islands that aren't tied into campaigns can have stuff that would mess up the campaign - it also means that I have more freedom to do it.

I don't have dramatic ideas and I don't want to be part of something thats ruined by the "artistic vision" and "quality control" of the project leader. I want to put out cool islands for others to do what they want with. Also, I'm a compulsive fiddler - although my current idea was for a large hilly landscape (but not mountainous) with "summer" and "winter" versions. Having to create a campaign simply to be able to make new locations is a bit over the top.

MrCrispPacket has written down EXACTLY what my opinion is in that last post of his.

The tools released now are just betaversions, if/when BIS finishes them properly they may well be released to everyone.

Aww I just came from playin OFP and heard this, which I consider very bad news. Im not part of any mod maker, as I never can work for the same thing for too long... I have to keep make different kind of stuff (As some of you might have noticed with my ofp things). I find it difficult to understand why BIS decided not to release the tools for everyone... Sure, one reason might be that there would be alot of "crap" or joke addons made, but theres those already, and I havent seen them hurting the community in any way.

Another thing I fear that might happen now, is that the community will start dying... Im sure no mod will be ready for a good while, when the mod maker people have to learn to use the tools that they get, and then do all the things for their mod. This means it will be a long time before we will get anything new from the community, during that time we will have to stay still with current stuff. For now we have been doing texture editing, but theres almost anything you could ever imagine doable that way already done. If everyone could get the tools, there would be some nice new things released every now and then keeping the community alive and giving OFP new life...

It might sound evil for BIS, but I really, really hope that the tools will leak from somewhere for everyone to use. Tracing down the source of the leak would be rather impossible (unless BIS watermarks each copy somehow) so it propably will happen eventually. If I will get my hands on them someday, I will leak them for everyone, thats for sure. Unless BIS can give me some really good reasons why not to do so...

Edit: What I wonder now, is that if someone will leak them and BIS finds out who it were, would they go into suing that person? Im sure that would totally kill BIS' reputation as the coolest developers ever, at least in my eyes, I would never buy one BIS product again...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armpit @ Feb. 28 2002,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The tools released now are just betaversions, if/when BIS finishes them properly they may well be released to everyone.<span id='postcolor'>

Beta versions...

How are we so sure they are still beta?

After all, BIS have now been caught lying have they not?

If Oxygen is beta then what was it when the OFP models were created a few years back?

Even I know it doesn't take that long to create a simple 3d object editor.

BOB

They could do something as simple as a password lock if they were really cunning but I'd be appaled if they went to this sort of length.

well this is my two cents, one thing is i dont know anything about 3d modeling or any modeling. shure it would be nice if they released it to the public. but yet. there are all this people out here that dont want cheaters in the game ect. look at it this way, in a way its proventing cheaters. if they give it out to the people who are doing thos big mods such as invashion 44 and such, the ones that are deadicated in doing this they will look into reashure and find out what all the specs are to put in it. where some of the avridge users would just go ok desine it put it in the game test it, and then decide to change it make it faster carry more ammo. i can understand why BIS is doing this, and frankly i agree to them. they said they would release them and they are i never seen anywhere where they said who they will relase them to tell now. and it is there property. if they want they can just destory it, it wasnt yours to take or use if was BIS. BIS has been the best people i have seen deadicated to there comsumers. look at all the patches they put out. and all you guys are just complaning like a bunch of babys. there would be manny other publishers and desiners that would put out patches would wanna sell them. or not even put out the patches. for example B-17 2 there where manny things promised but never delivered. trust BIS judgement. i hurd one person wanting to boycott BIS. why because they dont wanna give you something BIS owns? that is just pointless. thats what i think, i feel BIS has done nothing wrong but actly will help this comunity.