Sign in to follow this  
Chainfist

Side arms

One thing I noticed about the OFP weapons is that there are no small arms. OFP seems to be the only game of its type that does not include a knife, handguns or even fists for that matter.

The problem with this is when you run out of ammo, you can't resort to using a combat knife or your fists. A Knife would be useful for situations that require stealth. Fists would be good for a non lethal attack which you may want to do to your teamate if they are out of line or if you want a boxing match. Hanguns, with their light recoil, would be good for running and shooting at the same time plus effective at close range building fights.

Does anyone know of any small arms in the works or weapons patches that add this option?

I can answer that in one word, REALISM.

They would all be pointless for this type of game, how many missions have you played where you have got closer than 50m?

Also would you realy want to take on a man with a automatic weapon?

And even though handguns have light recoil you could only hit something while running if it was at point blank range.

Havent you been in that situation when ammo is out , and there is no hide , expect the enemy. This happens all the time in Multiplayer , after 4-5 kills , you are out , and if you dont find a body - youre dead. A Beretta or Cz75 would be great addition to Multiplayer =D.

Why dont you use a grenade?

This game is about realism, which is why BIS never put in sidearms

If you want hand to hand fighting make units that use the stroke-weapon feature, like the CSLA addon.

Just to add some "fire" to the realism "debate", do you think we should shrink the size of the sight picture silhouette to more closely (a bit anyway) resemble what we see when holding the real thing?

This would certainly demand more of our target acquisition skills.

Just a thought.

What the hell are you all talking about "Sidearms aren't realistic"?  The US army issues sidearms to officers and many NCO's carry them as well.  There must be some point to having them if the military is giving them to us, and if they have them in real life why not have them in your "realistic" game"?

You all either didn't think out your responses or you're just stupid.

I'm all for the addition of sidearms.

If you talk about realism you must admit that sidearms and knifes have to be in the game.

Every army uses pistols and knifes.

We also train with both (also hand to hand combat)...

It´s not about using a pistol or a knife because of lil noiz or lil blowback,it´s about being desperate and trying to use your last chance.

Regards

[76]Chavez

yeah i admit every army uses them but for places like bosnia and kosovo. I doubt that they would be used in a place such as the locations in the games.

The british never used them in the falklands which is identical terrain.

Also if people did get them they would soon start complaining after realising thier limited range and stopping power.

In a normal battlefield situation a soldier wouldnt run off rambo style to stab some Russians in a nearby house( he would be dead instantly)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ Feb. 28 2002,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why dont you use a grenade?

This game is about realism, which is why BIS never put in sidearms<span id='postcolor'>

Realism eh? So Special Forces don't carry Combat Knives? Is that what you are saying?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Realism eh? So Special Forces don't carry Combat Knives? Is that what you are saying?<span id='postcolor'>

SAS/SBS only use them for practical uses like cutting ropes, medical treatment, cutting harnesses(after embassy seige).

They like to have the largest distance possible between the enemy.

Even the famous commando dagger was only realy used for minor things in WW2 becuase in real life it is messy to stab people

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ Mar. 01 2002,01:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah i admit every army uses them but for places like bosnia and kosovo. I doubt that they would be used in a place such as the locations in the games.

The british never used them in the falklands which is identical terrain.

Also if people did get them they would soon start complaining after realising thier limited range and stopping power.

In a normal battlefield situation a soldier wouldnt run off rambo style to stab some Russians in a nearby house( he would be dead instantly)<span id='postcolor'>

Likely it is True that you cant do any Rambo attacks with such weapons.. heck you cant do that with the ones already in the game without the likely outcome of getting yourself killed.

As stated in another message, these weapons are issued to the Forces and yes I've been in situations , say Multiplayer Urban map, where Ive had to go into a house and take out a defending sniper. If I had a knife I could do it with some stealth instead of firing off my AK-47 and giving away my position.

(Also it would be fun to have a game where we are limited to just pistols and knives. That would totally change the rules and tactics of the game.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ Mar. 01 2002,01:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SAS/SBS only use them for practical uses like cutting ropes, medical treatment, cutting harnesses(after embassy seige).

They like to have the largest distance possible between the enemy.

Even the famous commando dagger was only realy used for minor things in WW2 becuase in real life it is messy to stab people<span id='postcolor'>

mad mike a pistol is considered a secondary weapon or side arm meaning if something happens to your primary weapon you have something to defend yourself with, and i get 2 meters to the enemy alot of times and it would be nice to jump out and slit his trought (spelling) that will teach the fuck for being so stupid muahahhahahahahahhhahahahaha

I know a pistol is considered a secondary weapon by the stupid but british spec forces dont use them, and they have taught most other forces around the world.

I know they use them when they are in civvy clothing doing bodygaurding smile.gif

I know for a fact that your standard soldier does not carry a pistol, Im in the TA for fuck sake

If not a pistol or knife, why not have the ability to carry a sniper rifle and an M16? You can carry an RPG and a rifle but not two rifles.

( Plus after you are done with that RPG, its hard to get rid of it unless you pick up an M60 or another launcher.)

I feel a Side arm would be ideal in this game most deffintly. the millitary would never issue something that they feel would be useless, in WW2 i beleave most people had a side are which would be the colt 1911A1 and that gun if i reamber right was till in service int he US untell 1991 i am not shure tho but it has lived a long life and been in manny wars and they where used when they needed them. i feel it would be a great addon to the game my self for Realism pourpouse and survival. when you run out of M-16 whats left nothing if you run to a guy in the back thats deal to take his gun you risk being shot in the back.

One of my buddies was a Sarge in the US army a few years back, and almost everyone who could get his hands on a pistol did, especially vehicle crews, machinegunners and officers.

Somebody said a while back that there aren't any fists in OFP - there are. Doesn't anyone know about weapon "strokefist" or "strokegun"? They work and they're funny as hell!

In the Canadian Army, machinegunners, snipers and tankers are 'supposed' to get issued pistols (Browning 9mm) as a standard sidearm. It's a good bet that if you are in a war situation, and you HAVE to use a pistol, your'e pretty much f*cked.

Even though they aren't as usefull as an assault rifle or carbine it would still be nice to see them in the game. Every army uses pistols to some scale, why shouldn't it be the same in OFP?

geez...

Tyler

well i wouldnt get too excited in OFP about pistols...they would look really funny since you have to hold every weapon in OFP with two hands. it would look funny to see a bunch of OFP retarded AI guys running around shooting themselves in the left hand since it would be out there cupping air where the rifle barrel should be.

omg lol your right they players in ofp look so retarded like if your pron and you look left your head goes threw your arm like polterguist and come on lol look at the salute for gods sake. deeerrrrr private doofy reportingz foooorrrrzzzz duty deeerrr sir duhhhhh

Good point chavez.

I also think that some type of close combat weapon such as wires and knives should be implemented. A real soldier will probably never set a "rambo type" trap in the same fashion and timing as in a movie, but if he's got no gun but can creep up to a lone ennemy and strangulate him to get some iron, he will, believe me...

I have to say, that both sides of the opinion are valid. In the context of the game itself, a knife or pistol may not be all that useful (although, a silenced pistol could have some definite entertainment value).

As a former Army OH58 driver we were issued S&W .38's, and later the Beretta 9mm (for you older guys, prior to the .38 we had flintlocks). In real life, the sidearm was a better choice due to the limited space in the helicopter. No need for big old M16 bouncing around in that cockpit.

On the ground, the only thing pistol would be good for is making the enemy duck briefly, while offering them a nice, juicy target. For survival, you could use it to shoot snakes or something...and as a last resort before capture, taking yourself out.

We were also issued survival knives, to be used first for hacking your way through the plexiglass after a forced landing. And then to cut plants for fires or food. You would have to be extremely well trained to even think about sneaking up on someone and killing him with a knife. Not to mention, it's very difficult to actually kill a person with a knife. Chances are he'll live long enough to turn around and blow you away.

They would be fun in the game, but not especially useful.

yeah also why not save the wieght and carry an extra rifle mag that would be 10 X more effecitve. but i have to say id be pretty funny if you ran out of ammo as a ruskie charged at you and you drew you 92f and emptied a mag at him and then when he kept coming tossed the gun at him lol.