Sign in to follow this  
TheReddog

Are Hellfires etc really this innaccurate?

My research into Hellfires is mainly the old variants prior to the Longbow and advances in FCR. As far as I'm able to tell ALL Hellfire fire modes have a significant arch to their trajectories, it's just a question of how much mode-to-mode.

I didn't think hellfires get any transmissions from the platform after launch, just set, fire and go. I could be wrong.

Back on topic I bet the hellfires in game could be made a lot more sensible if they:

1. Utilitzed the minimum release range as per real life

2. Used the high trajectory as per real life.

This skimming the ground in a bee-line to the target is not super smart.

Back on topic I bet the hellfires in game could be made a lot more sensible if they:

1. Utilitzed the minimum release range as per real life

2. Used the high trajectory as per real life.

ACE does this and a lot more. If you like the idea of an accurate representation of the Cobra (and associated weapon systems), you're going to dig what's being done.

I think I may have misquoted the above. I meant to be talking about the vikhr, not the hellfire.

Yes plaintiff, we were talking about Vikhr and the answers all talk about Hellfire... tounge2.gif

To sum it up :

AGM114 Hellfire : laser or radar guided, seeker in the nose, will seek a laser spot (from shooter or external source) or a radar target, has Lock On After Launch capability, high profile trajectory, full control surface.

Base ArmA simulation not good, flat trajectory, no fire mode.

Vikhr : Laser guided, beam rider (fly inside the laser beam to get flight calculation information), 1 flight control surface (spiralling trajectory)

Better adapted to ArmA simulation, as ArmA has already some kind of spiralling and the Vikhr has a rather flat trajectory.

I find hit ratio for both in-game, though, not too bad.

Err, we weren't talking about Hellfires but beam-riding Vikhr (not simply "laser beam", but beam riding, see description below)

Totally different missiles.

Vikhr doesn't have LOBL/LOAL differentiation, doesn't have an active seeker in the nose locking on laser target, but a laser detector in the rear and it tries to stay inside a laser beam that the shooter emits toward the target, and finally, unlike Hellfire, it only has 1 mobile control surface.

So I was wondering how you could change your flight "program" with only 1 control surface.

Ofc hellfire can (and will, mainly in LOAL mode) change its flight pattern.

Yeah I'm well aware of that I was merely responding to Frederfs comment. If you want more realistic Vhikrs it would be best to start with a realistic launch procedure. For starters fix the MFD view to be able to slew the TDC onto tgt. Also to be able to setup tgt box size and a decent zoom plus setup ground stailisation(can be used for both gunships) and a laser burn timer with cool down phase. Could also add in Laser detection on some of the AFVs to make things more interesting.