Sign in to follow this  
Agua

Anything recently on the release of o2?

Just wondering. I thought BIS was shooting for a release of the Objektiv ii (02) tool by the end of this month. There are two more days left in this month and I've heard nothing additional. Anyone else heard anything in addition to that initial e-mail from Marek Spanel?

No...I haven't heard anything new. However, I won't try to find out either. This is why:

First of all...as You pointed out, the month has not ended yet.

And second, even if this month passes whithout it being released...Marek clearly stated that they would try their best to have it released before the end of this month, but no guarantees whatsoever given.

So...even though I haven't heard anything new, I wouldn't want to bother them with asking when it will come. I doubt that such actions would make it arrive faster.

I think it's safe to say that BIS are very much aware of the fact that this tool is extremly desired by the OFP editing community.

I for one trust BIS to do their best for us OFP editors, and I understand that just the task of putting together documentation for a tool of this kind alone, is a very timeconsuming task.

Also...I believe that they probably have some commersial products as well that they need to work on, that has a higher priority for them as a company.

Remember that this is a free public release, and it's great that we even get it in the first place, and that they are willing to put so much work into it for us (documentation, 3DS Max format support etc).

I don't know about You, but for me...getting good documentation is alone worth any waiting that we might have to endure.

It will be released when it will be released...I think we'll just have to trust Marek and the other guys at BIS...and let them do their stuff in peace.

Just my 2 cent's wink.gif

Take care

Jellybelly

Wow, i'm impressed ! wow.gif

I fully agree with jelly, it's great they give us so much support, so there's no need to push them hard, let's just wait.

I'm sure it's the general feeling out there.

Isn't it ? wink.gif

Uh.... you think a question as to whether anyone had heard anything additional was "pushing" BIS? I'm well aware that they have a lot of irons in the fire. I was simply asking if anyone had heard anything additional, as I'm anxious, like everyone else, to see some of these great mods turn into fruition (esp. any ww2 mods).

best wishes

Well, let me explain this, the way i see it BIS is aware of (almost) anyone's expectations.

So when posting "is there any info ?" (even if you're askin' the community and not BIS) it can be read and understood "we need it ASAP".

IMHO it's *pushing*.

Then, let's just say sorry if i am mistaken. wink.gif

Just to say i'm one of the freaks always waiting for the next patch.

But i'd prefer wait little longer before each, instead of having trillions of patches that introduces more bugs than they fixes.

Everyone's opinion is right, it's a question of point of view.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HBK @ Feb. 27 2002,17:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...instead of having trillions of patches that introduces more bugs than they fixes.<span id='postcolor'>

Do you really think we ever released a patch that has introduced more bugs than fixes? I don't - for me, Operation Flashpoint just was getting better with every new version. Unfortunately, the game is really big and sometimes new bug fixes have introduced some new issues (like the XX IS DOWN).

Anyway, I believe 1.45 is well tested and it introduces so many important improvements that it's really worth to release it.

And concerning the real topic of this thread: there are couple of things complicating immediate release of o2 and other tools. I'm going to post some information about it tomorow.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ Feb. 27 2002,19:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HBK @ Feb. 27 2002,17:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...instead of having trillions of patches that introduces more bugs than they fixes.<span id='postcolor'>

Do you really think we ever released a patch that has introduced more bugs than fixes? I don't - for me, Operation Flashpoint just was getting better with every new version. Unfortunately, the game is really big and sometimes new bug fixes have introduced some new issues (like the XX IS DOWN).

Anyway, I believe 1.45 is well tested and it introduces so many important improvements that it's really worth to release it.

And concerning the real topic of this thread: there are couple of things complicating immediate release of o2 and other tools. I'm going to post some information about it tomorow.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks Marek!

Re - agreed on patch/bug point. Folks should have tried some of the early WW2 online patches: THOSE were some pretty crappy patches.

As I've said all over this and other forums, the support you guys give to this game is outstanding and I appreciate it.

Absolutely, have to agree on this. BiS have shown CONSTANT interest in the opinions of the forums and have responded to queries pretty much most of the time. The tools and patches are always worth waiting for and considering the Czech-ered background (sic) is a breath of fresh air for the gaming community.

In perspective, look at all the game releases from big publishers and designers with NO SUPPORT WHATEVER who are english speaking (RAGE in particular), that ignore constant requests for patches or fixes, don't release any info to allow mods or editing, and just "publish and be damned".

How many games can you name that have the Project coders in forums that listen and respond to the queries of the gamers?

As for WWII i'm sick of it.. everyone and their dog (MoH etc. etc.) is making one, just so some Americans can come online and "save us europeans" once again as has been said so often, and doesn't need repeating.. oh too late..

On another note, it's sad Codemasters seems to be taking the credit in some quarters for this game (particularly in the english press) as BiS have worked really hard to give something unique and wonderful to the gaming world, and continue to do so with their support.

Cargo

yes I agree BIS have constantly supported the OPF community with patches , give aways etc . and I , like Maruk I think OPF has been getting better and better with each new patch , BIS should be congratulated for giving us such an awesome game

well done biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you really think we ever released a patch that has introduced more bugs than fixes? I don't - for me, Operation Flashpoint just was getting better with every new version. Unfortunately, the game is really big and sometimes new bug fixes have introduced some new issues (like the XX IS DOWN).

<span id='postcolor'>

Excuse me, but i never meant that confused.gif (perhaps my english is pretty bad)

I perfectly know the work of you guys at BIS, and i owe a big THANKS for that. biggrin.gif

I was just trying to say, well ...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd prefer to wait a little longer before each patch, instead of having trillions of patches that introduces more bugs than they fixes.

<span id='postcolor'>

I do not say the OFP patches are buggy, even if they are, as any piece of software in the world.

Again, i admire that your company could give us so much support, it's not very common in our times.

Keep up the good work ! biggrin.gifwow.gifsad.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cargo @ Feb. 27 2002,20:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As for WWII i'm sick of it.. everyone and their dog (MoH etc. etc.) is making one, just so some Americans can come online and "save us europeans" once again as has been said so often, and doesn't need repeating.. oh too late..<span id='postcolor'>

Really? There is MoH:AA and DoD 2.0. Neither do a half-assed job of providing a realistic combat infantry sim. The plain truth of the matter is that Gamers who like realism in a military related FPS, an entirely different genre from MoH, etc., can choose between OpFP and Ghost Recon. THAT is why I want to see the ww2 mods realized.

I would just like to thank BIS so much for being the best game company ever. They are the only company that I know that listens to people and does somthing about it. I'm going to college in about 4 years and go into Game Desighn, when I graduate the first company I'm gonna apply to is BIS and I know I'm gonna aplly because they WILL still be around due to their excellent support for everything. Thanks BIS for everything you've done for us!

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound that way.. i had just had another dose of certain members of the US in chat lobbies insulting the rest of the world. On top of the Hollywood tendency to rewrite history so that 1) It has more explosions and 2) Any achievement in history was done by the US I was feeling a bit grumpy. That's off-topic anyway.

The release date of any supported tools and patches will always be vague if the coders are good (and the publishers aren't interfering), because you want to test it as much as possible before you release it. As far as I know, the only patch that will ever fix all the bugs in any game, allow all players of the game to do what THEY want and cope with the demands of everyones hardware differences is 'wishing.exe'.

At times one has to be patient.

wink.gif

Just dont touch the super AI. I love they way they are, if anything make them better. I wish there was a way to turn off radar and that target thing thats shows you where you are in air units.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maruk @ Feb. 27 2002,19:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway, I believe 1.45 is well tested and it introduces so many important improvements that it's really worth to release it.<span id='postcolor'>

Would a feature that allows the player to lean or "peek" around the corner from first person view be one of these improvements?   biggrin.gif  

That is a nice thought, if the movements of the players from rogue spear etc were introduced allowing crouch and peek.

Personally, my biggest wish (apart from being able to set the uniform/side to something other than US/Soviet) is for an Island with several runway equipped bases, so that both sides can take off and defend/dogfight/attack proper airbases... that and a scoring system that would allow "make this item a mission objective" without resorting to 100's of triggers and counters.

We will have to see how the "resistance" upgrade and the promised tools turn out to modify an almost perfect game into something that will attract sim pilots as well as CS/HL/Quake/R6 players.

All in all, I want the Virtual Battlefield version promised to the USMC smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sgt bastard @ Feb. 28 2002,22:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Breaking news: Check The Flashnews!!!!!!!

So the big question is WHO will get it?confused.gif??<span id='postcolor'>

Well, those who deserve it :-) And there aren't too many big projects going on.

Ahhhh....... Okay, that makes a lot of sense. So a beta is ready for release, but only for non-commercial development and BIS determines which projects get the tools. Okay, so everyone doesn't get their hands on it, thats fine, I can't screw around with 3D modeling anyway. smile.gif So, hopefully, we'll start seeing some of these new mods available and the developers will HAVE to provide them to the community for free.... HE HE HE....

Nice job BIS. Just make sure the two ww2 mod projects get it and I'll be happy!! biggrin.gif

I just want to say that i fully understand that bis wont release the editing tools, its alot of work behind them and i would also be a bit careful before i would release them too!