Sign in to follow this  
RomanB

New island editing tool. new model editing tool.

Armourdave,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the whole ABCD thing, do you mean each square(cell) is just 2 triangles?  So you can have diagonal ridges as well as north/south east/west?<span id='postcolor'>

Each cell is just 2 triangles with adjacent diagonal side from NW to SE. Only from Noth-West to South-East.

ran,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when will it be released ? during march , but when ??<span id='postcolor'>

Estimated time - 25-29 March 2002.

Hey RomanB, if BIS contact you and say they are interested in looking at the utilities, tell them that you're hesitant as you want to focus on supporting selected projects that will be really beneficial for the whole OpFlash community.

tounge.gifbiggrin.giftounge.gifbiggrin.gif

BTW, ran, what is this - "newbies"? smile.gif

newbies ........ very difficult notion to explain :

people wich are new in a communauty and who don't have a clue on anything related to the interests of the communauty

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 04 2002,20:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">people wich are new in a communauty and who don't have a clue on anything related to the interests of the communauty<span id='postcolor'>

Like people who don't even know what "newbies" means. biggrin.gif

ok I understand smile.gif

btw I just posted news about the tools on OFPN under the editing section.

Ugh, just a post to get it off 2 x 333 views... yes, two times three hundred thirty three... just trying to get it off there, and yes, I am eager to get these tools, but I can wait...

Well, not really get them, I have no ability with them.

theavonlady,

I like people, with good sense of humour.  smile.gif

here is something that miss cleo is confused about... howcome none of the people who are saying that bis is right in not releasing o2 are int this thread saying we are gonna kill OFP by using your tools to make "crappy" addons?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">here is something that miss cleo is confused about... howcome none of the people who are saying that bis is right in not releasing o2 are int this thread saying we are gonna kill OFP by using your tools to make "crappy" addons?<span id='postcolor'>

Good question, I guess most people are just excited about the prospect of having an island editing tool within this month and are forgetting about what the consiquences of the tools release might be.

The difference exists.

O2 will be a mod tool for weapons. the mods will be easy to dl, and will be a plenty. However, wrpeditor here is not going to be like that. you create a land, and dl-ing it would be painful(for modem ppl like me). ppl are more likely to try out new weapons than new land.

Indeed...a island editor wont be as 'popular' to work with as a weapons editor IMO. Making a good island will require alot of your time, so I dont think we should expect many new maps with the release of this tool. New islands will be few in number, thus wont flood the community.

And another thing is the fact that you cant really 'cheat' by making new maps. Weapons on the otherhand can be made to give the owner an unfair advantage.

On a sidenote: I hope BIS will improve OFP security by disallowing the player to change the standard weapons and islands in OFP, but still allow for new weapons and islands to be added.

A server can only have 1 island running at a time...as opposed to an endless ammount of weapon addons.

And keep in mind that there's a huge difference between Oxygen/Visitor and these tools. The former are so much more extensive and allow you to make an entirely new game.

Although I think Sith and RalphWiggum are correct I am under the impression that RomanB is going to be releasing a p3dedit.exe? Therefore the same problems of large quantities of poor quality addons will be present through either the general release of visitor/oxygen OR from the general release of p3dedit/wrpedit.

I dont think the islands will be painfull to download. Most of the islands are between 4 and 6 MB and I imagine most people will make much much smaller islands than the official ones, so you're more likely might be looking at 1,2 or 3 MB islands. Not too painfull on a modem.

Release of oxygen/p3dedit wont change the status on cheating as far as I'm concerned. It's possible to encrypt addon config.cpp's (as I hope most the large mods will do) so that not every, tom dick and harry can read them. A lone wolf shouldn't need to unencrypt unofficial addons/mods, why would anyone need to? Only the config.bin in cpp is needed for mod making.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Mar. 05 2002,13:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Although I think Sith and RalphWiggum are correct I am under the impression that RomanB is going to be releasing a p3dedit.exe? Therefore the same problems of large quantities of poor quality addons will be present through either the general release of visitor/oxygen OR from the general release of p3dedit/wrpedit.

I dont think the islands will be painfull to download. Most of the islands are between 4 and 6 MB and I imagine most people will make much much smaller islands than the official ones, so you're more likely might be looking at 1,2 or 3 MB islands. Not too painfull on a modem.

Release of oxygen/p3dedit wont change the status on cheating as far as I'm concerned. It's possible to encrypt addon config.cpp's (as I hope most the large mods will do) so that not every, tom dick and harry can read them. A lone wolf shouldn't need to unencrypt unofficial addons/mods, why would anyone need to? Only the config.bin in cpp is needed for mod making.<span id='postcolor'>

Heheh but u as a OFPN moderator can make a diffrence right?

What if u have an add-on page that only providers the highest quality add-ons for download?

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heheh but u as a OFPN moderator can make a diffrence right?

What if u have an add-on page that only providers the highest quality add-ons for download?<span id='postcolor'>

Possibly though 3dactionplanet dont like us mirroring large files to download sad.gif So I guess it could be a recommendation page linked to fileplanet.

Fileplanet aint too bad...you can have a normal Islands Database and just link to the FP hosted file...

The only thing different from a file hosted on your own server would be the fact that you're taken to the FP server-select screen first. Automatically generated mirrors arent a bad thing IMO smile.gif

Talking about generating..I have one more idea for the Island Editor:

Wouldnt it be possible to create something like a Random Island Generator?

Kinda like the one used in AoE and Empire Earth....you set some values like ammount of water, vegetation, towns, elevation (flat or rocky terrain), climate (standard, jungle, desert, snow), etc. and the editor then generates a random map using these values.

Shouldn't be too hard to make I think....but I could be wrong smile.gif

Got a question:

What happens if you get to the end of the map?

I mean if you can makle islands you can make them in a way that they arent island anymore...

I hope the p3D editor will be ready to rock soon :-)

greetz

[76]Chavez

I have a question I been dying to ask after I visited the megaforums.ru.

What relationship is there with BIS and this ofpinternals?

Is this ofpinternals a mod group that received the tools first? (need I say russian favoritism smile.gif )

or

Do they just work for BIS?

Either way it looks like nice work.

Hoz

they must be some programmers pretty good at reverse engineering code!

Goodspeed, PitViper,

Quite so.

[76]Chavez,

World not within 12800.0x12800.0 is a simple water (sea).

Sith,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Making a good island will require alot of your time<span id='postcolor'>

Really so.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Random Island Generator<span id='postcolor'>

Good idea.

writing an algorithm for a random island generator would be cool. if you did it right, you could get it to intelligently lay down forests, brush, and objects.

RomanB

I always thought the map screen was a just an image file. Am I wrong? does it truly represent what is there in polygons + props?