Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Roads not visible in visitor 3

I've got a grip on everything except roads. For starters, I cannot get them to appear properly - even in the BI Sample Map. Yes, I have the unpacked PBO in the CA folder. I also have the view settings set so road networks are visible.

In the Sample Map, all I see is a series of dots tracing the roads. I cannot select these dots.

I'm obviously doing something wrong banghead.gif Your wisdom in correcting my lack of understanding is appreciated!

Check the road definitions in Tools.......Roads.

See where Visitor is looking for the road models and which road models it wants.

Planck

In the Sample Map the Roads are predefined (I have not edited any thing) and reference the folder CA Roads folder. The Roads folder is present and contains the p3d files. The existing roads on the Sample Map are visible in Bulldozer. I can also "blindly" place small sections of road, which appear in Bulldozer but are not visible in Visitor 3.

So it seems everything is working except my inability to see the lines in Visitor.

I have tried this on 2 different computers to make sure it wasn't some system/graphics problem. Problem is there on both.

Other natural and man-made objects are visible - no problem.

When installing the Visitor with the RC3 tool suite you get automatically a ca folder filled up with unPBOed object etc. use these roads and don't un pack any pbo from the game, I think it had something to do with the models being binarized or something.

Also use the road tool to make roads.. tool-->roads etc.

When installing the Visitor with the RC3 tool suite you get automatically a ca folder filled up with unPBOed object etc. use these roads and don't un pack any pbo from the game, I think it had something to do with the models being binarized or something.

That's it! Thank you Opteryx. inlove.gifbiggrin_o.gif

So the Biki Tutorial is wrong when it tells one to "Please note that you will have to unpack content of buildings.pbo, misc.pbo, plants.pbo, roads.pbo and rocks.pbo in respective folders in P:\ca\ in order to be able to work with sample data in realtime viewer."

The powers that be should correct this error.

Well, now that I can see them, I can join in the all frustration you all have experienced placing roads on the map which I read about while searching for an answer...

It is only the roads.pbo that you should not unpbo for use in your p:\ drive.

The binarized road models no longer have the 'snap to' points on them that the mlod models do.

These points enable the models to join together easily in Visitor, but are removed during the binarization process, so use the mlod models that BI provided once this mistake was discovered.

I will see about correcting the Biki.

Planck

Planck, thanks for correcting the wiki page. smile_o.gif Nicholas, my apologies for the nonsense, placing roads segment-by-segment is not that bad, I am looking forward to your map.

I have found that it is possible to create straight line roads without all the curves by simply not referencing the curved road segments in the Tools | Road menu. One can create all the straight roads first, then link the curved roads and complete those roads needing them.

That being said, I agree that once one gets the hang of using the Modify Road menu, it's fairly quick to add the road segments individually, straight or curved as required. The only things slowing me down is the inability to scroll the map when in this menu, and the difficulty in determining which individual road segment is what when I decided I need to make a change.

Hi all

I have exactly the same problem: roads are invisible in visitor.

The main difference is: I 've never extracted the roads.pbo from the arma folder. They are all from the visitor install and not binarized.

The path is correct. I'm getting confused again.

Hi all

I have exactly the same problem: roads are invisible in visitor.

The main difference is: I 've never extracted the roads.pbo from the arma folder. They are all from the visitor install and not binarized.

The path is correct. I'm getting confused again.

You must use the mlods that come with rc3, the roads you have un packed are binarized.

No, it's not binarized, as I'm able to open those files in O2. I wrote thet i've never extracted the roads.pbo from the arma folder, it's all from visitor rc3

Edit: I've found the problem. The object path was: P:\ca instead of P:\CA

Be really careful with capital / small letters

Oh sorry, Just woke up and I just read "extracted roads pbo" and assumed you were using odols.

-edit-

So they are invisible in Visitor, but appear in Buldozer?

Tried checking the Show Roads button?

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Kinda.

I'm not sure the problem was there as the path goes back to small letters all the time. In fact, that's the termination road (at the start) I can't see, the others parts of the road are shown.

Terminators tend to be somewhat buggy, just restart visitor and buldozer and they should show up.

-edit-

Errrr again, I didn't read properly.. you mean a normal straight tile as keypart/start of the road, or did you use a terminator piece as a start tile?

My problems are changing every minuts now......going crazy

The terminator file used was : asf6

This one was invisible, another one works fine: asf25

But now, as i'm adding pieces of the road, the second part is linked to the terminator, then the third part is going over the second one. I can't link it.

I built a road 2 days ago and everything was fine.

I'm currently following the "Linker Split" tutorial.

crazy_o.gif