Sign in to follow this  
Jahve

Jahve's character addons - Shaw v1.1

r0fl! +h15 15s t3h sh1+!!!!oneevel!! 1'm g0nn@ u53 h1m in @n upcumming d3L+@ f0rc3 m15510n i'm m@k1N! biggrin_o.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Nah, seriously, nice.

you do realise that winrar will open 7zip (even my 4 year old version because I'm too lazy to update it) tounge2.gif

Yep, winrar extracts it... but I forgot to add the "7zip info....fixed it now)

Sweet wound textures to my favorite addon! Hey just a quick question, can you darken the soldiers face to make him look more Afghan like if he is gonna wear the pakol hat so he can look like the enemy more, also if your going to darken his skin tone then please change his hair color to black instead of brown.

Thank you. wink_o.gif

My only beef is that he's equipped with an AK-74, a weapon rarely used in Afghanistan which by his pashtun style hat, he's apparently operating in. There are a few old AK-74's left, but overall, the most common weapon is the Ak-47/AKM rifles amongst the Taliban. US SF operators almost always use M4 variants in Afghanistan. I've only seen some CIA operators using Ak's and those were high quality Polish Ak's rathe then run of the mill Chnese or Russian Ak's. At any rate... its not a huge deal as a quick bit of scripting can fix the weapon issue in the mission editor. Still it would be nice to see him with a nice suped -up M4 or at least something like a Valmet rifle or some nicer Ak-variant with a CQB forward vertical grip, aimpoint sites, and a laser pointer on it.

Aside from that however, the soldier model is outstanding and a real work of art. I hope to see more such units in the future! Now we just need an Afghanistan map like the beautiful ones we had in OFP. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

My only beef is that he's equipped with an AK-74, a weapon rarely used in Afghanistan which by his pashtun style hat, he's apparently operating in.   There are a few old AK-74's left, but overall, the most common weapon is the Ak-47/AKM rifles amongst the Taliban.  US SF operators almost always use M4 variants in Afghanistan.  I've only seen some CIA operators using Ak's and those were high quality Polish Ak's rathe then run of the mill Chnese or Russian Ak's.   At any rate... its not a huge deal as a quick bit of scripting can fix the weapon issue in the mission editor.   Still it would be nice to see him with a nice suped -up M4 or at least something like a Valmet rifle or some nicer Ak-variant with a CQB forward vertical grip, aimpoint sites, and a laser pointer on it.

Aside from that however, the soldier model is outstanding and a real work of art.  I hope to see more such units in the future!    Now we just need an Afghanistan map like the beautiful ones we had in OFP.  smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Lol, the funny thing is that I went straight into the config and changed the character into a CIA operative and gave him an AK47. I figured that he would be a nice start to making a group of characters named for the Special Activities Division (if they still go by that name) within the CIA.

I got enough SF units (just need some better modeled ones) at the moment, so i went against giving him a tricked out m4 and making him a team guy. tounge2.gif

I will not put western accessories on an AK ever. It just ruins it.

If i wanted to put lasers and holographic sights on an AK, and quite frankly I cant see who would, I'd just give him an M4 variant.

There MIGHT be a more high speed version of him in the future in addition to this current one.

Ok Thanks Jahve that sounds good...

The main reason why sometimes Ak's are tricked out with fancy sights and things is simply because it makes them more lethal. Having a nice IR laser pointer for example allows an operator to shoot from the hip in CQB very accurately and rapidly. Likewise aimpoint and other reflex sights allow for the operator to very quickly get a bead on the target.

You also might consider making the character, as bugkill suggested, part of Special Activities Division of the CIA.

They tend to most often use Ak's in Afghanistan.

Those guys do some really dangerous work in Afghanistan and work closely with SF.

Either way, its a great unit.

At any rate, that's just my opinion from the point of a view of a mission maker. (I'm also ex US Army).

Keep up the great work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

jahve,

I was going to send a PM about the idea, but I figured that you already had enough of those, so I'll just throw the idea out here. When I was in A-stan, I did not see any Special Foces personnel using the AK47's in place of their m-4s (from the SF operator down to the support guy). The AKs were used for training (fired it a lot) or for confiscating.

Now, that did not apply to the OGA (Other Government Agency) guys running around there. Those guys usually carried what the indegious people carried and usually dressed in civilian garb, with a mix of military gear. I think your next set of characters should be based around them and your Shaw character is a great start. If you have any questions, just PM me.

eastern weapons have their own company made attachments..

M16/M4- M203

M16/M4- EOtech/M68 CCO list goes on

AK- Kobra reflex blah blah blah

if any attachments would go on it should be an eastern one, operatives are meant to you know...blend in a bit.

EW!! crawl back in that hole you came from with that frankenstoner! wink_o.gif

An AK is an AK.. no RIS no nothing fancy hi speed...

there are SR-47ers for a reason :P

EW!! crawl back in that hole you came from with that frankenstoner! wink_o.gif

An AK is an AK.. no RIS no nothing fancy hi speed...

there are SR-47ers for a reason :P

Well, thank you for dignifying my post with your awesome-ness, ma'am. But, it pains me to inform you this config IS currently being used down-range, whilst the SR-47 was never really mass produced, AFAIK. When spec. operators need a heavier round than 5.56, and they're knee-deep in 7.62x39- they're supposed to use the SCAR-H.

Which is unfortunate, because I love the SR-47.

LOL, people would be surprised what SOF units use and don't use. We did not add optics on foreign weapons because 1)rarely would you use one in combat, unless for training or desperation, and 2) See #1

The optics on the m4 are good because we zero them to our weapon. You just don't grab a eotech, stick it on a rifle, and think that you are ready to go, because it does not work that way. Also, We train for combat using our m4 rifles and you must be very proficient with that weapon before deploying. The AK is used primarily for training, not as a primary fighting weapon, unless for specific operations (like the ones that covert units TRAIN to do).

Everything is mission specific, but if a SF unit is going to deploy using AKs as a primary weapon, they would spend as much time as possible using a AK, they won't even touch their m4's that much. Adding all the bells and whistles on their AKs would make them look like a bunch damn airsofters to indigenous people.

You also might consider making the character, as bugkill suggested, part of Special Activities Division of the CIA.

SAD is now a part of the National Clandestine Service, wich absorbed the whole of the CIA's Directorate of Operations.

@ bugkill: Exactly. Weapon choise was debated (with myself tounge2.gif) during the development process. Due to the complete lack of an AK47, and the fact I didnt want it to require a 60 mb addon, i opted to go for the AKS74. Why not the AKS74U? Because it has a shorter range IRL.

And also, soldiers in ArmA use AK74's (so thats the ammo type most available on the battlefield). Also this addon was my first for ArmA, so it was good practice to get back into "the game" (haha double meaning)

So will there be any other characters to work alongside Shaw, I mean he needs some equally great team mates...........

notworthy.gif

So will there be any other characters to work alongside Shaw, I mean he needs some equally great team mates...........

notworthy.gif

No! Everyone knows that Shaw only works alone! goodnight.gif

First off, best addon I've seen for Arma. Love the realistic and unconventional look it has. Top for SF/Recon mission in Sahrani. But the main, and to my idea still unanswered, question is : will there be more? What is being worked on?

It would be awesome to have 4, 6 or even 8 of these different dudes walking around, forming a team.

Medic(CLS), Machinegunner, Sniper, Demolitions expert, Forward Air Controller, you name it.

Makes up for terrific mission potential, and even a nice and lengthy campaign in the southern part of Sahrani(love the greens out there, hard combat terrain).