Sign in to follow this  
Giaky

Desert storm released

very good , i've just tried it , the new sounds are fantastic , but aren't they a part of the satchel's soundpack ?

the american soldier skin rocks

i can't wait to have the complete version

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Feb. 26 2002,13:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">very good , i've just tried it , the new sounds are fantastic , but aren't they a part of the satchel's soundpack ?<span id='postcolor'>

If they are, why are they duplicated in this mod? And if they're not, what would have been wrong with using Satchels so that we all wouldn't need to install basically duplicate addons?

could you explain clearly please ? confused.gif

the mod only use some ofp files , if you've installed the sound pack on the normal ofp , it doesn't affect the mod

i've only one thing to say : try it

i can't explain you what you want to know but the mod is not a part of flashpoint , but something else , it doesn't use the flashpoint exe but a copy

This stuff sounds risky to me. It's all fine to ask me to add PBOs all over the place but this is ridiculous! Here's most if the mod's install README file:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Readme for Desert-Strom and Desert-Shield "Basic Version"

Language: English, Italian and Czech

This version contain all original units, retextured by Desert Camo.

New sound

New config

Modified stringtable Bin

Not contain any missions.

--------------------------------ENGLISH---------------------------------------------------

--------------

INSTALLATION OF OPERATION DESERT-STORM DESERT-SHIELD "BASIC VERSION"

INSTRUCTIONS.

Before run the setup, you have to follow carefully the instrucions explained below for a correct Installation.

REQUIRED.

It's necessary to have Operation Flashpoint installed and updated at version 1.42.

INSTALLATION.

Found your "Operation FlashPoint" folder (for default is under ProgramFiles/Codemasters), click on it with the right mouse button and chose "COPY".

"PASTE" the folder on the "Desktop".

Once that the transfer is over, enter in the "Original" Operation Flashpoint folder, create a new folder and call it "Mod", enter in this folder and move your own "Operation FlashPoint" folder, which you had copied on the Desktop, in this folder.

Then rename it "Desert-Storm".

The half of the work is done.

Now you have to remove all the not necessary files.

WARNING!

Follow and execute word for word the steps below:

Delete the following folders:

"WORLDS"

"USERS"

Enter in the DTA folder and delete "HWTL" folder. In fact it's not possible to use the HardWare Texture and Lighting feature for Desert-Storm.

In the same folder delete the following PBO files:

DATA.PBO

ABEL.PBO

CAIN.PBO

EDEN.PBO

LANDTEXT.PBO

SCRIPTS.PBO

SOUND.PBO

ANIMS.PBO "look out! It's anims with the final S, there is also an anim.pbo which you mustn't delete!"

Go back to the main Desert-Storm folder and "CLEAN" the following folders:

SPMISSIONS

MPMISSIONS

BIN

CAMPAIGN (you must leave the 1985.pbo campaign, because otherwise there will be an error. Remove all others additional campaings)

ADDONS (keep only the following Official addons: "vulcan.pbo" "m2a2.pbo", remove all the others)

After cleaning folders, with removal of the useless files, you must leave "ONLY" the following files in the main folder.

There mustn't be any other, and they are:

CONTEXT.BIN

IS3DFX.DLL

IFC22.DLL

OPERATIONFLASHPOINT.EXE

Ok, now you can go on with the installation of Desert-Storm, and remember to select the just modified "Desert-Storm" folder during setup.

Once you have installed all, you can start to have fun with this basic conversion.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Feb. 26 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aye curumba. Is it a MOD or a complete overhaul?<span id='postcolor'>

It's overkill. Anyone wanna buy my downloaded copy?  tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 26 2002,13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Feb. 26 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aye curumba. Is it a MOD or a complete overhaul?<span id='postcolor'>

It's overkill. Anyone wanna buy my downloaded copy?  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Er...no thanks, it looks like a job 'n half installing the thing.

avon lady , simply make a copy of you flashpoint folder and modify it like they say

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Feb. 26 2002,15:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">avon lady , simply make a copy of you flashpoint folder and modify it like they say<span id='postcolor'>

But why?

Why isn't there separate PBOs for all the elements of this mod? They could've simply created new voice, sound, solider, vehicle and island files to be installed in OFP's existing folders.

If patch 1.43 comes out tomorrow, this whole mod must be reinstalled. It's silly!

don't ask me why , i'm not the author

but it's a mod , modification of an existing game , but if it was under the form of many pbo that you put all over you folder it could be only considered as an addon , the interface of the game doesn't have any change

they were obligated to do that because of the new title screens and menus

I am lost. I do not understand the readme a bit. Why do I have to copy the whole directory to my desktop, put some files in "the original folder" (what, where?) then blah blah blah.

109 wasted mbs. Luckily I am on ADSL. I am not going to install this ..monster, especially not after reading this. Too bad, it sounds like a great MOD, and it is the first real MOD AFAIK. So it was the first attempt at making a real MOD, when will the next version be out?  biggrin.gif

EDIT: I am willing to install it, but I need a properly written Readme file in English. Not only is the language bad but does not even make sense to me when reading it.

simply copy your original flashpoint folder in a new folder in the original flashpoint folder called "mod" folder and in copy the copied flashpoint folder in the "mod" folder and rename the copied "flashpoint" folder "desertstorm

i hope i was clear enough tounge.gifbiggrin.giftounge.gifbiggrin.gif

lol

i dont get why they tell you to copy it to your desktop then goto the orig folder make a folder called mod and then move the copied folder into the mod folder when you could simply say

1) make a folder in you OFP dir called "mod"

2)go back to the codemasters folder so you see the folder "operationflashpoint"

3)right hand click on the folder called "operationflashpoint" and hit copy

4) go into your "operationflashpoint" folder and then into the "mod" folder

5)right hand click and hit paste

bam easy than the other way...

This is first versione, in the next week release rest of finished addon, and update all program.....stay tuned.

Mod seems fine for a first version. At least worthy of title 'first total conversion mod for ofp'. Too bad installation

needs some work but maybe it will be refined in the future?

One "problem" with this mod is that dedicated servers can only run Desert Storm mod and not the original simultaneously so all people joining a Desert Storm servers need the entire mod. On the other hand it's the same thing with HL total conversion mods of course...

I hope you make a pile of good coop maps into this promising-looking mod so dedicated servers running desert storm will become more frequent!

And hey AvonLady I think you're being too harsh, the guys behind Desert Storm have obviously put in a lot of effort into this mod and I think it has very much potential of becoming one of the standard mods, unlike some crap "miniuziwithsilencer_and_1000round_drummagazine+laserdotsight.pbo" addons which will never reach large crowds...

Tanks both, will try it now  smile.gif

WOW, the mod rocks! Although I could not complete the training ground in the beginning of the 1985 campaign and not continue because of it (suggestions? The training ground is empty yet I am told to run through it), I tried a few of the SP missions and create something in the editor. Very cool!

Am not sure whether I like the M16 sound, but AFAIK it sounds like that IRL anyway.