Sign in to follow this  
dr_eyeball

Generic Script Library

What other scripts/missions/addons have got a good generic script library included with them?

I've been looking at a number of missions/scripts/projects, etc which all have their own "script library" or collection of generic scripts.

The problem so far is that they are often mixed in with the mission's scripts, making them undesirable to include.

I've got my own little collection started but looking for a more thorough and established set.

They need to be generic and low level (i.e. not mission specific).

Preferably in a separate folder (not mixed with other scripts).

Eg: for things like:

• direction/azimuth functions (medium group)
  • arrays (large group)
  • string (large group)
  • object/variable functions
  • 3D positioning setting routines (small group)
  • conversion/maths: map coord's, etc
  • search functions (arrays, strings) (small group)
  • GUI/dialog/controls/HUD(screen) functions (small group)
  • units/players/vehicles/groups/weapons (medium group)
  • markers/triggers/particles (minor group)
  • enhancements to existing BIKI command categories
  • etc

However, I have not yet noticed anyone release a script library for general use by the community.

Usually the guru's who've already worked with OFP have the best collections established already.

Possible candidates:

• ACE
  • maybe one of the 6thSense.eu projects? Edit: 6thSense_Misc
  • maybe one of the MapFact.net projects? Edit: Map_Misc & MAP_Services & old MapFact lib
  • T_D's maths, GUI and vector functions.
  • BAS-f
  • CoC
  • SPON core
  • VBS1 functions, VBS2 functions
  • Kronzky
  • Xeno
  • Misc functions by: General_Barron (Get/SetPitchAndBank.sqf), CarlGustaffa (WithinMarkerArea.sqf)
  • missions?
  • others?

I'm still investigating this, so I'll update this list properly when some results come in.

It would be interesting to compare the various projects and identify the ones intended for general use.

I'm also checking which functions are very common and should have been part of ArmA to begin with.

If you come across examples over time, please post a note here.

Edited by Dr_Eyeball

Mapfact.net Misc and 6thSense.eu Misc have generic functions onboard but not for all things you mention.

Im intending to make some structural changes to mine because the save game bug with many global vars should be resolved after 1.09. Atm im using objects to store my scripts and functions etc, which make them more complicated to use.

When im done with the switch and cleanups, as I have quite some cleanups/optimizations/enhancements planned, I wouldn't mind writing some extra functions aswell as I accept outside help/contributions aswell.

6thSense.eu Misc is available in mission script form aswell as addon which makes it imho a good candidate for general usage.

We once started such a project for OFP over at the mapfact forum. Though many of the participants got too busy over time.

You can find some of the developed functions over at the old (now closed down) mapfact forum (descriptions are german, but the names are pretty self-explanating):

http://www.mapfact.net/forum_ofp/viewtopic.php?t=5666

Regards

PS: However some of the functions are now obsolete due to new scripting commands.

Lester of Mapfact is working on a scripting package called MAP_Services, which will probably be organised like the MAP_Misc in OFP times. But I can't promise anything about it.

I also have some math/gui functions organized in libs for my similar projects (C&C Command Menu and RTE which basically need same routines).

What about creating a thread for collecting functions like the old mapfact one?