easier report abuse to admin..Not saying "Hey i saw this guy

sapping all the planes, but i have no clue who it was"

dhu  yay.gif

Map: Inrl if you dont report your location to higher officer or

squadleader you get in so much trouble. Thats why it states

on the map were everyone is.

GPS: Well some have it some dont...

3rd person: hmm cant choose...

Well first of all, in real life you dont report anyone to admin or kick anyone from server. You shoot him if you see him doing it, in game and in real life. And anyway you wouldnt know who it is IRL either unless he told you.

You dont have to report your location to anyone in real life unless asked to. Then you can just tell them where you are... Anyway if you are where you are supposed to be they dont even need to ask for it.

If you need to see your position on map with the map-aid, or you need it to figure out someone elses position, you mate are propably playing the wrong game, as you should be able to use the supplied coordinates on the map to figure out everyones location, and you should be able to tell your location on the map just by looking around you...

GPS, yes, only SOME have it, not everyone.

cant choose if 3rd person is realistic? Well you shouldnt be doing a war irl when on drugs if you can see yourself from behind..

This problem can be solved by just looking at each servers MOTD. Most server admins have their server settings displayed there and often people want to know if they have 3rd view or the crosshair option on/off. After a couple of days in ArmA you should soon learn what server uses what settings because most active gameplay online are on the same servers.

And guys, dont argue with idiots. They will just bring you down to their level and beat you on experience...

This problem can be solved by just looking at each servers MOTD. Most server admins have their server settings displayed there and often people want to know if they have 3rd view or the crosshair option on/off. After a couple of days in ArmA you should soon learn what server uses what settings because most active gameplay online are on the same servers.

What i had to learn after running mp-servers for about 6 years now (first OFP, now OFP/ArmA) is that nobody reads the MOTD .... don't know why, the just don't read it. mad_o.gif

quote: "it makes sense that those you deem realism players prefer having it off".

ROFL

I must be a realism player then, as the game would definitely come a close second to the preferred activity.

LOL

Seriously though, to get somewhat back on track, extra filtering would be useful in the browser, for me especially the ability to filter-OUT the string 'evol' ...

Damn, I got here so late that the derailment had occurred and had “unfortunately†been fixed tounge2.gif

Nice topic & nice derailment... biggrin_o.gif

This was the first thing I noticed and the 1st question I asked when I arrived at AA from OFP...

Where is the “no weapon crosshair†community? (probably they got old wink_o.gif )

Damn, I played in so many good OFP servers with all aids off… but some how, within the same engine but probable with a different generation of players playing, the “weapon crosshair†on became a “necessityâ€â€¦ even nowadays with my 2048x1536 pixel screen... I wonder how old-timers played when their screens were of 640x480 & 800x600 pixels? rofl.gif

Anyway, there are so many more pressing issues regarding AA game-play that I decided to handle this from my side…

I completely ignore the damn white thing bouncing on my screen and always use the good old iron sight… it just takes practice, SMGs for close city fight, Assault rifles to open country fight.

It is easy to spot gamers using the crosshair (90%+ of them), they go around using (& abusing) G36, since they don’t have problems with the lack of peripheral view of the scoped sight and also can handle the recoil without problem.

So, although extra filtering would be useful, I doubt many players/servers would be left to actually making playing online worthwhile.

Btw, regarding RL, I know it isn’t an ideal situation, but even when you go to plug a target 6ft away with an Assault Rifle or a decent sized SMG, you always aim (yes the shoulder thing & looking in the “general direction†of the iron sight wink_o.gif ) and plug 2 shots… firing without aiming is for Hollywood drug cartel soldiers or/and drunk executers crazy_o.gif

Bottom line… we aim, and only then fire, lots of accidents wouldn’t happen if everyone obeyed this rule huh.gif

We can fire really fast aiming and firing, so fast we can’t handle the recoil…

Ok, I know we can fire even faster without aiming, but then we hit the realm of the probabilities and shoulder dislocations, wish is far from my ground of expertise tounge2.gif

Anyway, in AA we don’t want to fright the enemy (aka shooting in his general direction), we want to “terminate†him, this is not a riot, this is a war smile_o.gif

Whether or not your able to filter through servers to find out if servers have the crosshair enabled or not, wont get you anywhere.

Finding a public server that plays coop missions as one big team is very hard to come by. Most people run off doing there own thing, then others make a squad.

The only possible answer to your question is to join/make a clan/group that play the way you deem is realistic enough.

I have a server of my own, with 3rd off and crosshair on. I like most others enjoy ArmA for the fun side, not realistic side. I know a lot of people that have been in the forces and they all agree, ArmA can not be as realistic as in real life. Its impossible.

Trying to compare shooting your rifle in real life and shooting in a game is a pointless discussion. I'm sure in real life, if they had the chance to have a crosshair, they would.

At the end of the day, ArmA is a game. People play in there own ways. smile_o.gif

sometimes i get annoyed at not being able to have 3rd person view, the rest i can live without. tounge2.gif

besides everytime i join servers without sights i can see the a.i's always gets the upper hand in many CQB situations biggrin_o.gif

I wish i could make it so servers wouldnt force me their settings everytime tounge2.gif

Most servers turn 3rd person off to stop people using the camera to look around corners, or hide behind bushes and see who's coming. So surely you can understand that. Basically think of 3rd person as a wallhack.

Thats my opinon on 3rd person anyways. I enjoy first person a lot more smile_o.gif

well its not just hollywood where people can hit small moving things without aiming at all...

its just that there aint many soldiers shootin that good smile_o.gif

Any other way to filter these servers filled with *arcade* fans out other than playing only on private servers?

Maybe itd be possible to hide the servers that have these *aids* like tags, weapon crosshair, 3rd person, map info and such things that *make it less realistic in my opinion*?

Such a showstopper joining 10 "serious coop servers" finding out 9/10 of them have some of these enabled :S

EDIT: Removed references to other shooter games wich offended some people who like them.

Try to add to server list filter, by name some key words like "realistic", "real", "reality", "veteran". Some servers (with good admins) have that written in server name.

I don't like arcade players with external and 3th views, helping crosshairs and other helping marks on screen.

I dont understand, why BISTUDIO cant make 3 levels of difficulty like:

1) Light (arcade) = (current cadet/normal mode)

2) Medium (standard) = (current standard veteran)

3) Hard (real/simulator) = (current veteran but all helping thinks off)

This can solve our problem with arcade servers. But at this time, we can only hope, that something like this appears in some next patch.

I have started my own reality server IP/DNS in europe: arma.extel.sk with custom hard veteran, web site (info): www.arma.ahaportal.com, web site is still under construction but you can read there some info about my server .

Where is the “no weapon crosshair†community?  (probably they got old wink_o.gif )

The Citadel server has the settings on that you prefer (most of the time).