Sign in to follow this  
VictorFarbau

VFAI - Equipment.AI

Current version is 1.0

!!! THE ADDON VERSION REQUIRES "Extended_Init_EventHandlers" © BY SOLUS !!!

VFAI Equipment.AI download

Equipment.AI Introduction

=========================

What does it do? Equipment AI will allow units to scan their immediate environment for bodys and their equipment. If a unit goes below certain ammo levels it will try to snitch a magazine, a grenade or smokebomb here and there. If the unit looses its weapon or does not find ammo in a given time the unit will focus on getting a new weapon as quick as possible.

Equipment.AI activation

=======================

To activate Equipment.AI for the desired side (west, east, guerilla or civilian) you need to place an object of any type (e.g. InvisibleH) with a specific name onto the game map. Combinations with multiple objects are possible. This way undesired effects in foreign game maps are avoided.

Naming scheme:

-------------

An object named VFAIEQW will activate Equipment.AI for all west soldiers. Add another object called VFAIEQE to also activate it for all east soldiers. The same goes for VFAIEQG and VFAIEQC (guerilla and civilian side). Any combination will work. If no such object is found then Equipment.AI will not be run on any unit.

Multiplayer

===========

Apart from the desired VFAIEQ[x] objects you need to have a "Logic" object by the name of "Server" placed onto the game map. So the usual procedure when creating MP maps in fact. Needless to say that the server will need to have the VFAI.PBO object placed into its addons dir. No client will need this addon unless you are creating soldiers on a client PC while playing MP.

Additional comments

===================

Since this addon hooks into the common unit creation process using extended init event handlers © by Solus I deem it necessary to use this activation method. Otherwise the script would be run on all units in all missions and you would be forced to remove the addon each time you don't want to use it. So this is a bit clumsy but it works.

If you want to activate this extension only for specific units you will need to use the script version instead and call it by putting >this execVM "equipment_ai.sqf"< into the init line of each unit on the map.

Next steps

==========

- Include secondary weapons (AT, Pistols) etcpp

- Smart weapons choice (based on missing weapons types within the group)

- Better weapon detection (now units will try to exchange unknown weapons as quick as possible for known ones)

- Eliminate any errors (I bet there will be some, too much nightly scripting and testing goodnight.gif )

Regards, Victor Farbau

so this means it doesn't work on every mission?

I first have to edit a misson and put a trigger in it?

very interesting , if it works as it should this is a must have , downloading

and thanks thumbs-up.gif

Hi,

Do I understand it right, that you could this also release as pbo, so this effect would be active all the time in any mission?

Would there be a problems in other missions?

I only ask because, if there wouldn't be major problems would you do so - only as an alternative. because thats a thing that I'd like to have always active. In cases when I wouldn't want it, then I could simply start ArmA without that modfolder.

Thanks

Hi,

Do I understand it right, that you could this also release as pbo, so this effect would be active all the time in any mission?

Would there be a problems in other missions?

I only ask because, if there wouldn't be major problems would you do so - only as an alternative. because thats a thing that I'd like to have always active. In cases when I wouldn't want it, then I could simply start ArmA without that modfolder.

Thanks

Absolutely, if you could release it like that I'd appreciate it. It's much easier for me to restart ArmA and uncheck this addon if I don't want to use this function instead of the current activation process. I've have no idea how to edit a mission, I've never bothered to try.

I'd like to use this with every AI in the missions I play, hopefully you can release a version that just need to be placed in a Mod Folder or AddOns folder in order to work for all AI.

I look forward to trying this if that occurs. From the video I saw, it looks like a great function.

well, i made a simple mission to see how it works, and i think it has to be polished a bit.

I placed 3 USA soldiers with their M4 aimpoints but no ammo near 3 dead USA soldiers whith the same weapons with ammo. the 3 soldiers searched the bodies , made the gesture to change the weapon but they didn't take any ammo from the bodies. huh.gif

Then I placed 3 USA soldiers with their M4 aimpoints but no ammo near 3 dead SLA soldiers whith AK74 weapons with ammo. the 3 soldiers searched the bodies and changed the weapons OK smile_o.gif . but one of them when he made the change ,changed his ak74 with ammo for another Ak74 with ammo from other body huh.gif

also the scan range is not too wide , one of the soldiers didn' find a corpse at 50 meters

well , that's all for now, with a little of work it can be a great adition to the game

Interesting feedback - I will work on this to cater the needs. I guess there should be one version that always runs and another that can be configured per need.

@william1 - I configured the threshholds conservatively; the guys are not meant to rip apart everything they find. Don't forget this is an interruptive script for them. They will only take weapons and ammo (mags, smokeshells, handgrenades) if they need them.

See ya,

VictorFarbau

Hi very usefull addon/script!!

there is something to fix - AI "skills":

I placed - BLUFOR 1xMG 1xAT 1xSniper with empty ammo and little bit away OPFOR 1xMG 1xAT 1xSniper and Object with Name "VFAIEQW".

started - shoot those soldiers down and went with my group near those dead bodys. After 3-4 seconds they've recognized weapon and ammo and took themselves.... but error occur: once the weapon was changed by soldier another took the empty weapon again. mad_o.gif

Suggest to look if AI finds new weapon at one place/body then to search for ammo and take weapon - otherwise AI don't take this and search area again for weapon.

Waiting for update and better "trained" AI! smile_o.gif

Norailgunner: known "bug" and a tradeoff to minimize script runtime. I will find a smart way out of this one of these days. Currently I have more issues getting this to work in MP, weird issues there, too (as usual).

VictorFarbau

Started new topic with new and corrected version "VFAI - AI extension"

Cheers,

VictorFarbau