Sign in to follow this  
leckig

I "tested" the 2900 PRO

Personally I will never buy another ATI card, not after the debacle I went through with the x1950Pro AGP. I went through two replacement cards, the damn things would literally shut down after running a game for 15 minutes.

The third brand new replacement I got I didn't even open just sold it on eBay new with no guarantee, the guy who bought it off me hit the same problem. I told him to talk to the manufacturer because I sold it to him new with no guarantee of my own.

Then I built my current system with an 8800GTS and I am very happy with it, the monkeys at ATI can die in a muddy hole.

dude i had the same prob with my 1950pro. The thing is that 1950 series require 450W psu with atleast 25amp on the 12v rail. upgraded psu and havent had a problem since(execpt the msi POS fan died, so i bought zalman vf-700)

I was running it off a PSU with the required power, do you think I was born yesterday? That same PSU is now running an 8800GTS happily without a problem.

I also was not the only person by far experiencing this issue, I found out that it is pretty common after googling 'x1950pro+black screen'.

tell me what PSU u got and we can settle this. 8800GTS recommended PSU is 400W, some ppl have even managed to run 8800GTS in SLI with 400W PSU. 1950 series needs 450W and atleast 25A on the 12V rail.

@leckig u can buy an 8 pin adapter to enable overdrive.

Thermaltake Tough Power 600W icon_rolleyes.gif

thanks for the adapter info. I will look into it if I decide to keep the card.

I just found out this:

"only catalyst requires the 8 pin plug for oc. try amd gpu tool or rivatuner or atitool. none of those need the 8 pin adapter. "

I just found out this:

"only catalyst requires the 8 pin plug for oc. try amd gpu tool or rivatuner or atitool. none of those need the 8 pin adapter. "

yeah i forgot u need the 8-pin for ati overdrive only. PPL are having

some problems with overclocking the card with certain apps, but seems that rivatuner works the best for PRO...

@reddog well then its not the PSU, but believe me i was stunned with the exact same problem myself and better PSU solved it.

If you have enough power to run a 8800 then YOU WILL have enough power to run a 2900!

It's not all about the power though but the Volts/Amps, I upgraded from a 600Wat generic power supply that struggled to power a X1950XT to a Hyper 500Wat and everything ran fine. The difference was that the Hyper had 2 12V rails the generic only one and I could have 32amps on Hyper only 18 on generic!!

The only problem is that NOT all PSU's tell you what they are kicking out they just have the Watt listed.

Hope this helps people.

Shaun.

utter B#llox

ive got two 2900pro in my system now running at 750 core and 1650 memory(these are xt speeds ) abit 32x mobo and 2 gig of xms pro ram

AND

all running off below the recommened 750w psu

(im running 700w by the way )

so i theink 600w psu will run 1 dont you

unless youve got some cheap crap from a market stall which says 600 on the BOX but actually is 300 w

I'm not saying this is the case, and it depends heavily on the PSU you purchased, but just because you are running alot of stuff on one under-rated PSU doesn't mean it's a ok. You could be depriving the GPU of vital voltage, or overall taking too much juice from the PSU causing damage to the PSU.

A good read about PSU's and what you might need, as well honest reviews about some PSU's HERE

A calculator to help determine your power needs HERE

I';m running a quad, with an 8800GTS, 3xRaptors and a few others things, overclocked and I know I'm damaging my OCZ 600watt. Just have to grin and bear it until I can afford a new PSU.  confused_o.gif