Sign in to follow this  
judas

C01: Convoy

Now I'm pissed off! I spent more than two hours on this stupid mission and it wouldn't let me win.

First, when the convoy was ambushed and I took command, everyone had to tell me 'ready'. That took about 30 seconds, so when I finally got to give some orders, the battle was already over. Well, almost. Oh well, that's a familiar problem. Let's get on with the mission.

I told everyone to get in the truck (which survived the fight). About four minutes later, everyone finally found their way, and got in, except nr 2, who was now lying prone next to the truck. 'Negative', 'injured'. I repeated the order a number of times, and suddenly he stood up and decided to get in. Hrmm.

We got back to Lamentin and when I told 'all' to disembark, one of the medics simply ran off. He apparently decided to heal nr 2, at the location of the ambush. But nr 2 was in Lamentin with the rest of us. The medic ignored all my orders, ('supporting'), so I had to do without him.

When the enemy attacked, my framerate went from 30+ to something like 10. No comment. I had to reload three or four times, but finally managed to kill all the tanks, BMPs and choppers, and I still had nine guys left in the squad (I think). Great! Then nothing happened.

After a while, I walked from the center of the village to the machine gun nests, (where the 'hold' waypoint is). Then an enemy infantry squad came at us, and there was radio chatter about me taking command, a second time! Several of my guys got themselves killed by running around (looking for their new CO?). Then the radio sequence about spotting 'three, no four T72:s' and that stuff was also repeated. It was like all mission triggers had been reset somehow.

Anyway, we won, and were told there was a boat coming for us. Excellent, except the boat had six seats, and there were seven of us. What the ####? Couldn't they have sent two boats? And since the boat wouldn't move, I figured one of us had to have an accident. Nr 2 volunteered. Then we all got into the boat and went home. Not. The boat still wouldn't move. After trying various ideas, I shot the driver and took his place. (Now there was one free seat in the back... sigh.)

Finally we could go home. I got three red crosses. 'Court martial - you didn't follow your orders!' WHAT?

Okay, I'm done. Sorry, I just had to vent. I'm going to log off and read a book or something now. At least they work as expected.

It was stated that this particular mission requires a pretty hefty machine to run it smoothly. I believe they said something like 1Ghz or faster CPU and probably 256MB RAM as well. Just FYI.

My pathetic PC won't even come close, so I haven't bothered to try. I have a meager PIII-650 w/256MB and GeForece 2MX w/64MB. Not quite up to snuff for that size mission. (sigh)

Cantata

Umm not getting your bug but getting others. (I've already posted about them on the BUGS forum.) When i get to the second auto save point ht egame crashes back to windows when it tries to autosave. But! if i kill all the russians in the ambush before the auto save it works fine. And then after, in Lamintine, the 3rd autosave crashes ... am i surpose to wait outside the town and kill the BMP and the T72 before comming inside?? sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Cantata on 11:48 pm on Nov. 13, 2001

It was stated that this particular mission requires a pretty hefty machine to run it smoothly.<span id='postcolor'>Actually, that was the other mission (C02). But either way, it's okay. Big games require big computers. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from JediDave on 12:11 am on Nov. 14, 2001

When i get to the second auto save point ht egame crashes back to windows when it tries to autosave.<span id='postcolor'>I suppose your swapfile is 400 Mb or more?

Yea ive had trouble with that mission the ai sometimes ran away and the meds sometimes wouldn't med the wounded and sometimes after the wounded were meded they would still apper red on the hud screen as injured even though they didn't hve a scratch on them

CO1...I really wanna edit this mission why wont they give the open code/files for it on the official site? (whats the deal with that)

And heres what I did;

As soon as you get attacked with the convoy, do not stop, just rush as fast as you can (on the road) back to Lamintine.

Get in the Jeep w/MG then rush through the middle of that chunk of forest with it. then get to the nearest base, which is the medical buildings...and then you win.

And yes. I have played this mission for like 5 hours!!! I have tried alot of ideas and this mission rocks, its fun. I will next try to do the hardest thing...escape in the M2A2 Bradley to that medical outpost/base...

I'd like to either add an empty M2A2 or detach the crew with the one already in thier, with the editor, because the AI scews up with that team attached to the M2A2 in Lamintine. You can get all your squad in because the ai crew keeps chasing you in order to get in the APC with you. uhh!

Excuse my french, but his mission is a little son of a b*tch...It took me a good 15 tries to defeat the ambush and get my men back in the truck.  The real problem??? By the time I get back to Lamentin I have  a good 90 secs to prepare for the attack. Finally I get to the strategy of putting two in the vulcan, two with aa weapons, and me and one other in the bradley(had to run the original crew over because if ur not careful theyll come jump in later on during the battle and keep u from moving).  Well, 9 out of 10 times the vulcan cant kill the hind and ends up getting destroyed.  So then I have to destroy the hind with my bradley, leaving with very few rounds left.  Using tows on the tanks along with support from the two aa soldiers,  I defeat all the tanks.   This is after about 4 hrs of play and MANY,MANY retries...So, im happy, I thought i did it, when all of a sudden my m2 blows up instantly without warning.  Im guessing this was the russian infantry squad that shows up late.  Needless to say, I didnt play again to figure out.  My one complaint?? The triggers are messed up, the attack shouldnt start til after u arrive in Lamentin.

(Edited by Mr ThunderMakeR at 10:04 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

(Edited by Mr ThunderMakeR at 10:05 am on Nov. 14, 2001)

Nice to know I'm not the only one having problems with this mission. It really is a bit of an amateurish mess isn't it. Hope this isn't an indication of what Red Hammer will be offering.

Ok, i am having real problems with this mission. im at the auto retry when u are back in lamentin. i have no men in my squad left, they were all killed in the ambush. i can beat the first attack from the road where the ambush was, and there is still a tank left in the town. what i do is kill the helicopter with the vulcan (on my own) and then destroy the tank that is waiting in the town with my LAWS (again, all on my own at this time i have noone under my command). when the second attack comes, that' when i get killed. grr.

Ok i finally completed this mission but how f**kin annoying it was. ok i killed all the enemy in lamentin ( about a million tanks) then they said they would send a boat for us. the boat came, all 5 of us got in and waited for the boat to set off. which it didn't. so, i decided to drive to provins instead, so i put 2 people in the vulcan and the rest with me in the truck. we set off, encountered some russians on the way but eventually made our way to provins which decided to be in enemy hands. great. so i drove through the town running over a couple of squads until i reached the hospital. the mission ended, and i looked at my score which revealed i had 5 gold stars ! so what do i get for achieving five gold stars ? A COURT MARTIAL FOR NOT FOLLOWING ORDERS! this is even though i had killed 5 tanks and about 3 squads of men. mad.gif

BIS THIS MISSION IS BUGGY PLEASE UPDATE.

LOL! Yeah, someone definitely screwed up here.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from judas on 12:00 am on Nov. 14, 2001

And since the boat wouldn't move, I figured one of us had to have an accident. Nr 2 volunteered. Then we all got into the boat and went home. Not. The boat still wouldn't move. After trying various ideas, I shot the driver and took his place. (Now there was one free seat in the back... sigh.)

<span id='postcolor'>

ROFL MHUAHAHAHAHA. :biggrin:

my biggest problem with that mission came when we got ambushed and i got out and ran towards the CO...and then his jeep blow up for no reason leaving me crippeled and 2 meds trying to heal me got cut down. the rest of the troopers ran around like a bunch of housewifes in a mall. then i just blew myself to bits with a grenade cuz i couldnt take it anymore sad.gif

(Edited by Rick Nieuwenhuis at 1:47 am on Nov. 16, 2001)

I've been playing it all day, retrying over and over (finally succumbed to the Save utility as I found myself getting bored with repeating the earlier stages). Runs fast (Athlon 1.4 Ghz/ 256 MB) but it is tough. The squad seems to behave erratically, and have to be told to everything - they seem unable to take out any tanks, and the Hind took Number 9 all the AAs he could find, leaving me with pilots still out there, I think. Took care of the second wave of infantry by hiding in a building over by the ammo crates and taking them all out from a distance, while the rest of my men hid in the bushes. The tanks were destroyed with mines laid all over the place in the little time I had before they showed up, and with a few LAWs. Equipped all my squad with C. Gustavs and LAWs, but they just don't seem to have it in them to attack heavy armour. Well, it gradually got dark as I got the remaining men together (only 6 now) and picked up some NV goggles. So tried to make it back to Provins (all earlier attempts to use the vehicles for a quick getaway after the infantry were gone ended with tanks around the place destroying us) on foot - running into either tanks or infantry en route and being shot even when careful and crawling the whole way. So I'm glad to hear that a boat will arrive if I take care of the one or two soldiers hiding in the town. I know there are a few tank crew and infantry there, but had decided to just head elsewhere in case any more tanks showed up. I don't agree that the mission is a mess - it is a bit too difficult for me, but it does keep you alert. I wish the Vulcan would last a bit longer - the Hind takes it out wherever I put it, but I suppose that that's what I'd do if I was up there in the sky choosing targets. I liked Battlegrounds a lot, though. Played it through a few times, deciding to sit the battle out by stealing a Dragunov from a Russian sniper and taking my time with the enemy. Okay, enough from me - just glad to hear that there's another way to escape Levantin. Hope it works. Now, back to tracking down those troops in the dark.

Projekt_K

Well I completed it on advanced and the vulcan didn usually get destroyed. oh well. wink.gif

Finally - after 2hrs 8mins (not incl. retries, etc.) I made my way back to the Hospital base (after finding myself forced to shoot the driver and gunner of the boat - I console myself by believing that they refused to follow orders). There were a few canny tank crew hiding in Lamentin, but they didn't last too long - they seemed to prefer running away. Final stats (and no boasting here, as many will have done better, but I was happy with the mission) were:

T80

2XT72

2XOFFICER

BMP2

2XRPG SOLDIER

2XMACHINE GUNNER

GRENADIER

11XCREW

PILOT

HEAVY GRENADIER

2XSOLDIER

But also 3XSOLDIER friendly fire (the two in the boat plus one I must have shot earlier and never realised it, although I think I remember it as being a case of shoot first ask questions later). Got 5 stars, which I was pleased with.

The boat problem is irritating after having gone to the trouble of playing the mission, though. Must be an error.

I think it was quite an enjoyable mission - a lot happening at different stages (even if the ambush was rigged). Prefer Battlefields, though.

Proves that you can't leave your troops to think for themselves. Have to tell them everything.

And you didnt get court marshalled?

I've beaten this a few times now, and once that d*amn Hind didnt even SHOW UP! The first time, I blew the bastard down with three stingers, and the second time, it just never attacked the town. I also get the message about a boat, but I never even see one, so I drive to the Hospital, get five stars, and get court marshalled.

Its stuff like this that makes soldiers steal a M-60 tank and go for a joyride in the local city...

*Gets idea smile.gif *

I think I should have been court martialled - three of my own men..! But maybe getting back by boat made it okay for some reason. The first time I played the mission I managed the Hind with a few AA as well, and so I expected to do so again, but never managed to down it after that - had to leave it to one of my men. Every time I drive anywhere I get taken out by tanks.

It's a funny old war. I have to admit that the unpredictability of OFP beats games like Hitman or whatever, where there does seem to be a right and a wrong way to do things. I see your point about the tanks, though... Same with shooting that soldier (there's always one) who insists on running off somewhere, or crawling so slowly that he's always asking "Where are you?"...

I tend to like the BIS missions, as they definitely seem to slow my machine down a lot less than most of the user-made ones. At least it seems that way to me.

I play in veteran mode and I never manage to get more than one (1!!!) man back with me to Lamentin. And most of the time this guy is badly injured.

When I`m ordered to hold the southern road with my men (WHAT men, aargh), I can defeat the first wave of infantry until the next radio message. "Try to retreat to the next northern base..." At this point I get four more man (one injured, I like that...), which are killed in the next moments by the russians emerging from the northeast.

Smart as I am, I crawl back all the way to the ambush zone, enter the last intact truck and try to drive to the north.

The next what I hear is a *BRRRRRRRRRRRT* and I`m taken out by a shilka or a f**king tank like that...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHH!!!

No problems with the mission and I experienced very little slow down on my system(it is no great shacks either).

AMD 700

760 ram

geforceIII

The Vulcan will get nailed if you leave it where it is. Reason being it can't see(shot) the Hind for the trees. So move it into some open space (preferably near the ammo crates) and you will bring down the hind 90% of the time(it really depends on who fires first).

As for the troops running around looking for the new CO if you tell them

1) wait for you

2) go into either combat mode or hide

you can then pick them up at a later date when things have calmed down + they also get off some sneaky shots smile.gif. Yes i will agree that the bout didn't leave but it is more fun going over land than taking the easy way out. Who cares if you get a court martial this is not a campaign guys.

Also if you guys have retried this game so many times you should know the general direction of where the Russian armour comes from and then mine that area(remember the cut scene they tell where to find ammo HINT HINT). Even if you don't know where the armour is coming from you can have a dam good guess given that it is a head land you are on.

As far as the large number of Russian troops go have you every notice the large amount of 50 cal's around and the surplus of men you seem to have?(is the a link there? I think so). You even have one on a jeep to back up your men. If you have mined the area (see point above) then the 50 cal in-placements last a decent amount of time.

I will acknowledge that this mission does require you to think quick on your feet but if you can't do that then maybe you shouldn't be commanding a squad of men? Just a thought.

Basically I have never had so much fun in playing OPF missions and i have in this one.

(Edited by snero3 at 9:46 am on Nov. 29, 2001)

Snero3 you are the God of tactics smile.gif

I will agree that this mission is very enjoyable , I just love running around being a sneaky bastard with my M21 and LAW.

I agree on the mines. I liad out some mines early on in it and forgot where I put them , until a T-80 found one for me smile.gif

When I was back in the village, I destroyed a couple of tanks, and the Hind. And then I cowardly fled the town with the humvee, leaving all my men behind. When I had reached the hospital in the north, the game was finnished succesfully.

I will make sure I am not in your squad then smile.gif

Hmmm... Got cm'd here too.

Here's my strategy:

First, whenever you're given an option of weapons, you gotta go for the M21 and LAW. (Okay, most of the time).

At the ambush, I stopped short of the ridge, got out and snipe the bastards running around. Then I went back to the truck and cruised into Lamentin with the survivors.

Something like 2 BMPs and 2 T72s come after you. I headed back up with the LAW, and ambushed the BMPs as they came into range, and probably before they disgorged troops. Then I ran back into town and found a T72 parked in an inconspicuous corner. 2 Laws did the trick (CG is good, but probably better against the T80s. It takes two LAWs to kill a T72, and the reload and set time for a LAW is shorter then the acquire, traverse and fire time of an angered T72).

Then came the Hind.

The Vulcan is tempting, but we all should remember something about the AI: it doesn't shoot at abandoned vehicles. Anything that takes 3 Stingers to shoot down is going to cook you in a toe-to-toe match up.

I wasted the most time here (it's hard as #### to hit a Hind with a law), before I noticed what toys were in the ammo dump. Just stinger the Hind and be done with it

So I used 3 Stingers and watched it crash. The crew ejected low.

While I was doing this, another T72 pulled into the backfield. I CGd the bastard.

The Vulcan is an anti-infantry, device, not anti-air. I hopped in, and drove towards the "N" exit, running over th e three troopers charging in. Then I motored up the ridge and wasted the wave of Russians assaulting the town. Boy was that satisfying -- I had to do it several times. Most of the time, the "3, make that 4 T-80s" message occurred -- once it didn't). I also ducked over to where the Hind had crash-landed and put enough rounds to destroy it completely ("Scoring" it).

I sent my 9 buddies to seek cover while I reloaded the CG launcher.

Now the T-80s approach without infantry support. That's when I discovered the boat doesn't work.

I had made the mistake of grabbing a satchel charge earlier (so I couldn't get mines until I dropped the satch), so I placed that on a probable approach. But when I headed back up the hill, the two T-80s had parked outside the town (I guess they were going to follow the combat noises as the wave of infantry entered the town (alas, someone forgot about the Vulcan). So I used hit-and-run tactics with the CG launcher until they were dead.

Then I loaded up everybody into two trucks and we drove E along the woodline, then S through the pass into Le Moule. Here I put a crew into the M-60 and we continued along, eventually going cross country towards provins. I raced ahead, and the M-60 took care of a Russian patrol. I arrived well ahead of my buddies at Provins (which, of course, had fallen), and I parked in a low location by the edge of the woods.

Hopping out of the cab, I snuck up the side of the ridge and used my M21 to pick off the 5 or 6 Russkies milling about. Then the M60 came in and took care of the other side of town. I got in the Abrams with a couple buddies and we took the convoy N towards the hospital. There was a T-80 angry about something, but we just put the hammer down and drove past.

Court-Martial