Sign in to follow this  
leonardus

COC EXTENDED MARKER ADDON RELEASED

COC EXTENDED MARKER ADDON v1.2

The Chain of Command is proud to present the Extended Marker Pack for ArmA.

WHAT IS IT FOR?

The extended marker collection contains more than 550 NATO military symbols

as well as several new marker colors. These allow the creation of realistic

map overlays.

The markers are organized in categories for easy usage:

- Infantry Units

- Mechanized/Armor Units

- Reconnaissance Units

- Artillery/Fire Support Units

- Heli/Aviation Units

- Air Defence Units

- Headquarters

- Special Forces

- Enemy Units

- Unit Mission/Task Symbols

Most unit markers are available in generic, squad, section, platoon and

company sized variants.

To simplify finding a specific marker while scripting or mission editing,

an extensive reference PDF file is included listing all markers.

This addon will be used by the upcoming Command Engine X (CEX) for ArmA.

NOTES

I started this Extended Marker Collection years ago, after playing around

with the CoC Command Engine 1.22 for Operation Flashpoint. All ideas are

taken from the Field Manual: OPERATIONAL TERMS AND GRAPHICS (FM 101-5-1),

from the great USMCsymbols addon by Phaeden and from the enhanced USMCsymbols

addon by Spinor.

CREDITS

jens198 (Testing)

Leoline (Coding / Testing)

burningtrees (Color Schemes)

Phaeden (USMCsymbols)

Spinor (Enhanced USMCsymbols / CEX-Marker / Testing)

DOWNLOAD

COC EXTENDED MARKER ADDON v1.2 @ www.thechainofcommand.net

COC EXTENDED MARKER ADDON v1.2 @ Combat-Prison.net (mirror provided by Stavanger)

markeruf1.th.jpg

Thanks for this. Now I'm getting excited. I'm hoping this release means CEX is very near.

cheers!

smile_o.gif

PS: time to update the CoC member page?

Hi Q

Time to update the CoC website to ArmA but I am a little pushed for time due to family illness.

Kind Regards walker

By the way: will stock CEX be multiplayer compatible?

Network Services 3.0 Public Beta

--------------------------------------------------------

[...]

What is it For?

--------------------------------------------------------

[...] Otherwise, you may find NS 3.0 helpful for creating in depth missions like Capture The Island (CTI), Real Time Strategy (RTS), possibly CE3 for command control wink_o.gif

That does sound a bit like CE3/CEX will not work in multiplayer.

I was under the impression that all COC addons\mods were designed from the ground up to be MP compatible... I may have been mistaken.

Now we're talking wink_o.gif

Excellent ! I hope as many mission makers as possible (all !wink_o.gif will use this marker pack. A good NATO pack is useful to set a standard.

Thanks ! Can't wait to try out all your work as I really liked it for OFP.

Malick

Hi all

CoC addons are designed as an architecture a kind of multilayer model. In much the same way as a program uses an OS; CoC_CEX uses CoC_NSA and CoC_Extended_Markers.

CoC_Extended_Markers provide a central resource for the marker part of the graphical look and structure of the marker technology. They are structured to allow easy logical access for programs as well as users to the markers via a logical naming convention based on the NATO form. They are also set up to be placed by programs so they do not look offset. Very important in the design of UI elements  wink_o.gif

CoC_CEX is designed to perform the UI and control system for very large groups.

CoC_NSA provides the Network layer for all CoC products.

Various other technologies provide other parts of this architecture. If you look through the NSA documentation its underlying structure shows how that architecture is supposed to look as it was designed in that way from the start.

CoC_CEX uses CoC_NSA for its network layer and multiplayer support, it uses the CoC_Extended_Markers to provide the unified graphical resource.

Other addons also use the CoC_NSA this means we only have to worry about one network layer and we know it wont clash with another, that is also why we encourage others to use CoC_NSA as it means both our work and others are less likely to crash or use up resources with two processes doing an identical task.

It also means developers do not have to create and debug their own network layers so it saves time on development. It also means you are not having to debug multiple versions of a network layer to get different products to work together.

Finally the people resource in terms those who understand network layers is very small so for each MOD team to have its own network layer consultant is impossible. Having a single unified network layer that the community can use just makes more sense.

CoC_CEX is being designed to be multiplayer compatible via the CoC_NSA. Because the CoC_NSA team has built the network layer the CoC_CEX team do not have to think about it and can concentrate on their core task.

Think of CoC_NSA as an enabling technology it is what allows CoC_CEX and other addons to be multiplayer compatible.

Think of CoC_Extended_Markers as another enabling technology it is what allows CoC_CEX and other addons to be to have the correct NATO markers and it provides them with a well written manual so mission makers can easily find the marker name they want. It also provides markers in an underlying structure that makes it easy to automate marker selection in a logical fashion and to ensure that the marker is placed on the correct spot.

Kind Regards walker

hello walker smile_o.gif

hey don't worry. it just good to see CoC alive and breathing. thumbs-up.gif

take your time. patience - that we do have.

best regards

Q