Sign in to follow this  
mad_rabbit

What's my bottle-neck?

Hi all,

If possible could someone please tell me where the most likely bottle-neck lies in terms of my computers performance and ArmA or if I'm expecting too much from my system?

System Specs:

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.53GHz

ASUS P4P800-VM Motherboard

1GB DDR RAM (Dual-channel mode)

Radeon X1950 Pro (8xAGP)

ArmA-Mark v1.0 = 1215

ArmA Settings = low/off @ 1440x900 and view dist of 2500

I'm thinking it's more than likely my processor speed as I remember back that OFP was very processor heavy. But I'm wondering if an extra 1GB RAM would get me off the < 20fps range.

AFAIK I should be in the range of recommended specs except for the CPU speed according to this website:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Or maybe it's a case of the whole system?! If someone could advise me if I should be able to get over 20fps regularly with my system or if I never will be able to unless I upgrade (only can only afford extra 1GB RAM at the moment) that would be a great help.

Thanks!

cpu definitely... but you shouldn´t walk around in slowmo with that graphics card ...

1)disable shadows (kills my framerate with ease *lol*) / postprocessing ...

2)maybe set terrain detail to very low (no grass)... but you should be able to keep it on normal... same with object detail...

3) maybe shaders to low...?

turn everything from catalyst to application controlled... (actually 1st step)

4) drop viewdistance to 900...

if it still crawls...try changing your mipmap detail level... and/or turn textures to low *sigh*...

5) last resort...drop viewdistance to 500/terrain&object detail to very low... shaders low...texures low... pprocessing low... should still look better than good old opf...

6) still more modern snail simulation than modern combat? shaders to very low *sigh*...

by now should be over 20 fps....?

7) didn´t help??!!! umpf... buy a new cpu & 1 more gigabyte... or even better new computer sad_o.gif

8) forget big cities and massive battles... enjoy the rural activities wink_o.gif

p.s. download drago island... should be much lighter on your puter than sarani smile_o.gif

thanks r2101 for the reply!

Yeah...I had a feeling it was a CPU just didn't want to admit it.

I already have everything at very low, have edited the OFP config file so the colours are 16bit and not 32bit, and have disabled everything that can be i.e. post-process, anti-aliasing, anisotropic etc.

Using ATI tray tools to set everything to App controlled, No Vsync and Performance settings.

My rural ArmA experience is far better and more enjoyable than urban but with ArmA urban combat improvement over OFP, Bezerk maps etc. now-a-days it's hard to not be a city-slicker.

I'm loath to go below 2000 for the view distance...

How much of an impact do you (or anyone else out there) thinks getting an extra 1GB of RAM will help? Or should I just wait and save for the CPU upgrade?

I think you have more performance boost wit new cpu, but if i was you i would start thinking buying new mobo + cpu + ram, because i don't know if it's worth to upgrade your old socket cpu. Does your MB have DDR2 and PCI Express?

I just upgraded (buyed new pc) to c2duo E6850 3ghz and Geforce 8800gtx with 2 GB of Ram, and yeah you can really see the peroformance, i can play now at 1280*1024 with everything on Very high and never drop below 30FPS

I already have everything at very low, have edited the OFP config file so the colours are 16bit and not 32bit, and have disabled everything that can be i.e. post-process, anti-aliasing, anisotropic etc.

Using ATI tray tools to set everything to App controlled, No Vsync and Performance settings.

My rural ArmA experience is far better and more enjoyable than urban but with ArmA urban combat improvement over OFP, Bezerk maps etc. now-a-days it's hard to not be a city-slicker.

How much of an impact do you (or anyone else out there) thinks getting an extra 1GB of RAM will help? Or should I just wait and save for the CPU upgrade?

overclock that intel, u could get to 3ghz easy. if not to keen on overclock then get a new mobo and core2 proc, prices went down so u might get 4300 pretty cheap ATM. graphics is good so no need to get sumthing better. 1GB won't do much more to ur performance(expect u could play arma without pagefile wich helps alot smile_o.gif )

didnt see u were AGP. well OC the hell out of that proc yay.gifyay.gif

I agree that the Intel CPU would overclock easily and not likely to burn up or anything like that as it has built-in heat sensor that will just shut your computer off.

And at 2.53ghz....is that a Celeron?

I think the extra 1 gig of ram may make a decent difference. I wouldnt dismiss that possibility to easily.

Also, have you tryed launching Arma with the -maxmem command? for 1 gig ram, I would say try setting it at 128 or 256.

I definately notice a difference in performance with the maxmem command in my exe line.

you could try to change your scenecomplexity manually... that should give an extreme boost to your fps... smile_o.gif

should be located in your arma profile file... in my documents arma

greetings - r2101

Hey

Recently I upgraded my CPU from AMD 3800+ to an Intel e6600.

Believe me it was the best thing ever for ArmA thumbs-up.gif

It now runs at an average frame rate of 30 as opposed to the average 10-14 it used to run at.

It shows that ArmA is very CPU intensive and no doubt bus speed played a part in it

Before and after specs

AMD 3800+

2 GB DDR1 @400

ATI x1900xt

Intel e6600

2 GB DDR2 @800

ATI x1900xt

New RAM, new mobo, new CPU cost less me than 200 pounds!

I only upgraded to 2GB Ram (from 1GB) , that gave me a noticeably higher performance. wink_o.gif

Thanks for the answers all!

I think this confirms what I already thought in that in order to get a significant performance increase I need to upgrade the CPU.

As the MB is old, only DDR and AGP, it would also mean it's not worthwhile to upgrade the CPU only without also upgrading the MB, which means the RAM, which also means a PCI-E GFX card = contridicts why I went from a Ti4200 to a x1950pro in the first place?!

I'm so sick of the industry changing it's standards but I guess it means better technology in the long run...

Oh well, thanks again all for the great responses!