Sign in to follow this  
.kju

sceneComplexity - much underrated setting?!

To be found in your profiles folder inside ABC.ArmAProfile.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sceneComplexity=1000000.000000;

I guess ArmA does automatically scan your hardware and tries

to set the "right" / most fitting value.

However as this value has no ingame representation just very

few people know about it. So it doesn't hurt to gather more info

about this crucial setting!

fuc847

Quote[/b] ]find: "SceneComplexity". I found out that the number represents the max number of polygons shown on screen, so the lower the number the faster the game runs.

So setting this to aorund 100000, will make objects in the game use a lower polygon model, hence, run faster.

BUT, big BUT, doing so will make objects disappear in the distance more frequently and also more LOD pop-ins are more frequent.

Now, that said, people who HAVE good comps and wants LESS pop-ins can set this value higher (don't set it too high or else no one in the world can run it smoothly)

What I personally want is able to set all objects to use the lowest polygon LOD model but NOT make them disappear in the distance, i think this would be the best quality/performance tradeoff for low-end comps

r2101

Quote[/b] ]there are a couple of things one can do to improve the performance quite a bit. i am running a pentium d with 3ghz, ati1900gt card and 2gb of ram dualchannel.

running with 1024x768...

i set wbuffer to 1, viewdistance to 900, scenecomplexity to 75000 instead of the 150000 thingie it seems to default to on my computer. tried 500000 and expirienced a crawl *grin*.

so scenecomplexity seems to give the best boost, without too much loss in visual quality.

(rest of his post to be found here)

Grodin

Quote[/b] ]Found a fix! THANK GOD!

In arma profile lowering "sceneComplexity" down to 0 will make all the bushes look like in original OFP if not even simplier, HUUUUGE FPS Boost! smile_o.gif _some_ graphical anomalities occour, but well, atleast its possible to be competitive in mp now.

Rainbow

Quote[/b] ]f you set "sceneComplexity" on 0 then objects' LOD is on the lowest level

---

ArmA did make my config have

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sceneComplexity=1000000.000000;

pc

Quote[/b] ]AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3700+

MSI K8N Neo4 Series (MS-7125)

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO (512 MB)

Corsair 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

--

no overclocking

ForceWare Version: 94.24

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]I guess ArmA does automatically scan your hardware and tries

to set the "right" / most fitting value.

Just a little note. sceneComplexity is tied to the Object detail setting. Normal =300000.000000 sceneComplexity etc etc.

So if you change object detail ingame after you edit your config it will reset to the equivalent value.

Please correct me if I am wrong smile_o.gif

Edit: Confirmed.

cool stuff Ti0n3r smile_o.gif

sceneComplexity

1000000 => very high

high?

_300000 => normal

low?

very low?

Object detail, yes i think so.

I noticed objects disapearing over distance if i set it low and a fps hit if i set it very high (distant objects using high lod).

very low 1000000

low 2000000

normal 3000000

high 4000000

V.High 5000000

Controls the amount of polygons onscreen at once if im not mistaken. you notice a lot of object pop in at <100000 but it can make a big difference to framerates.

I used to run arma run smooth on a terrible machine with it set to 100000.

Has drawbacks for example when flying you can see the layout of a town before you can see the buildings themselves.

EDIT: this would be pretty useful if we could tinker with the level at sub v.low level while in game. cities like paraiso can be pretty troublesome for many peoples machines this could be a quick fix while ingame you can reset when you leave the area

i doubt he can use W-buffer because that feature is not supported at new videocards (definitely not on any ATI R9xxx and up) for NV i think FX5xxx and up ...

yop...the wbuffer thing just sat there in the ini/cfg file... i guess the biggest boost was archived with the scene complexity setting...

there is a fine line between reduced scene complexity and eye candy imho. too much of too little scene complexity and armed assault turns into an abstract piece of art *lol*

but it can definitely help people with lower spec machines imho...

since 1.008 i don´t feel the need to manually change stuff in config files anymore ...

i guess once the tools are out we will have a completely new gaming expirience... less complex islands which still look pretty = less lag... (ah dream would come true with an specialized wrp tool edition for armed assault inlove.gif )

i would suggest to anyone who doubts that the engine is good to download the pmc tech demo islands.... maybe not visually pleasing but an amazing proof of concept... great job! that would have been impossible to archive in opf!

anyway apart from the scene complexity value there are only the standard things to change to get more performance out of armed assault...

...low texture quality (isn´t that bad), shaders on low (not that bad either), shadows disabled *sigh*...postp on low... terrain and object detail to normal.. if your framerate still crawls along reduce terrain detail to very low...

right now i am gettin the worst fps in the bigger southern cities...northern sarani works beautiful... odd but true... seems as if the vegetation problem got somehow solved with 1.008 for me...

but then again cqb in cities isn´t what i would call the special strength of armed assault anyway wink_o.gif