Sign in to follow this  
snake07

Disabling XAM MOD??

Hi guys,

I am really getting annoyed with this XAM MOD. I think they have done a great job, but on my public server thats a different story!

I don't have XAM or any other addons installed on my public server. But with respawn missions, XAM causes the biggest problems... Once people die then respawn everyone gets the error message (bla bla bla config claymore) well something along those lines lol...

Once this error comes up, everyones game starts to CTD and its really p'ing me off! banghead.gif

If i make it so everyone has the same mod as the server, does that mean they wont be able to connect if they use XAM? also does it mean they wont be able to connect if they use any other mod apart from XAM? (sound modifications)

Ive never had this problem with the server. Only since the release of XAM.

So once again... Is there anyway of stopping players connect to my server if they have XAM enabled?

cheers!

Hmmm Cheers matey sad_o.gif looks like equalModRequired=1 is my only option, but that means players can't use any mods, including sound modications etc...

Does anybody else have the same problem with XAM on there server?

Also do you think i can stop most peoples game crashing by installing XAM on the server?

installing XAM on the server might stop the server from crashing too,

but no change to the clients i guess.

its worth a try though i'd say.

people could still use addons by putting them into ArmA\addons

which is quite ugly without saying..

i think there is a chance with server side scripting..

you only need to see whether one can capture the loaded

modfolders, the rest should be child's play for a good scripter.

most importantly you should forward the problem to the XAM

creators. maybe they can update their MOD to avoid this.

The server I play on (VOLCBAT) have now got a ban on the XAM mod. XAM modded players end up crashing the server and forcing it to restart. The only reason we can think of is that the XAM mod modifies damages and such.

XAM mod also enables the M16A2 to have a fully automatic firing mode, which is not hardcoded in the original game.

We testing this out, I shot a guy with a fully automatic M16 on and the server ended up crashing. Reason:-> Client says 16 bullets on ya head very quickly, Server says that not possible as single or burst rate is not that fast.

We also reackon that the damage modifications crash servers too, e.g. a RPG into a tank will have different damage amounts between server and clients ending up in a crash, although we haven't tested this.

@ Q

XAM Mod doesn't crash the server, but it crashes everyone else's game. I haven't installed it on the server because i was thinking the same, that it wont do anything on the clients pc.

@ Mastermind

How have you banned XAM mod from your server matey? or have you just left a message in the saying XAM mod is not permitted?

Just a message and a watchful admin i'm afraid. People will get the message eventually.

When they have fully connected I just type "XAM OFF PLZ" (in caps so they see it better). Most say ok, then return, others need an explaination, the few others that ignore me get the boot.

Would be nice if admins can send PMs to player in the form of text boxes or something.

what about if u have it in your server name title?

for example... Deviant Wing (No XAM) or summit like that?

I think that might do it webby (snake) as long as ppl read it ? wink_o.gif

lol Ck, Do you have the same problem on your server?

Would be nice if BIS would add a option to the config to ban cetain mods. By Adding the mod name to the config it kicks players who try to join the server with mod and gives the player "This Mod is Not Permitted" Option.

But what if they change the Mod folder name?

What about making a deny list for addons? (like someone has said for ID's)

This way we just add the names of addons we don't want people to use on the server? If they changed the addons name, then you can just ban them with verified signatures (Once that finally decides to come out)

Would this be possible?

lol Ck, Do you have the same problem on your server?

Not as yet mate,but we have XAM installed on our server wink_o.gif

Although server's been down last few days so not fully tested! smile_o.gif

use a simple addon managing tool ... this will keep your arma folder clean and will copy/activate addons on demand/server.

download ArmAwatch, a derivate of the good old ofpwatch addon managing tool!

And don't leave it on when you want to connect to a server with many players ...

that's un-killer.

I take it thats for the client side? If so, how would that stop people connecting to the server with the XAM?

yes, but it has to become standard as soon as possible.

new addons come out almost every day and time will come with 8gb addons on hd you cannot leave in arma folder all together...

as the most people use a client side managing tool it will be fine...

otherwise clientside XAM itself wasn't a good idea ...as cool as it is.

Add the first MOTD to be "NO XAM MOD" and maybe repeat it a few times