Sign in to follow this  
Sevan

8800 problem or ArmA?

I recently upgraded to an 8800GTS card from my 8600GTS. Ever since then my game has been much much more unstable, especially in MP games.

Usually a crash is associated with some kind of artifacting in the game. which leads me to beleive it's an overheating problem on the 8800? or is this an issue with ArmA and compatiability.

Has anyone experianced similiar problems with the 8800 card?

I'm running Vista, some may say that's the problem, but it did run fine with the 8600. I have 2GB of Ram, and the latest drivers for all hardware and the 1.08 patch.

yeah, i have problem too, the game is unstable, sometimes crash the game, but when i play the game too fast (really, the mens are running like a Lamborghini), and sometimes it is slow down.

yeah, i have problem too, the game is unstable, sometimes crash the game, but when i play the game too fast (really, the mens are running like a Lamborghini), and sometimes it is slow down.

i have 8800gtx, intel c2d e6600 overclocked to 3,2 Gh, 4Gb Geil Ultra 800Mhz memory, asus p5k motherboard and vindows vista 64bit

Yeah,I too have problems with my 8800GTS.I hope in the next patch they'll make it stable for the 8*** users and for 2GB RAM or more.Also to be optimized for dual/quad core users.

I've had my 8800GTS 640mb for a few days, and I haven't received any problems. The rest of my specs are A64 3000+ and one gig of ram.

EDIT: I should add that if anything, it fixed more problems, like textures not loading when I had a 6600GT.

I got Asus EN8800GTX and I never had any serious problems. I am running Arma at "high" in every setting except shadeing (low), on resolution 1600x1200.

Only problem I have is that LOD isnt as nice as when I play on other PC with 1900xtx. 8800GTX LOD is like... well pollution in the air. Its "foggy" and all. While in ATI card its crystal clear.

[My pc is FX-60, 4 gig DDR Ram, Windows XP pro]

Yeah,I too have problems with my 8800GTS.I hope in the next patch they'll make it stable for the 8*** users and for 2GB RAM or more.Also to be optimized for dual/quad core users.

I doubt that they'll "optimize" it for dual/quad core processors, since alot would need to be written from scratch.

8800GTS 640MB, no problems since ArmA 1.08.

I'm using official BETA forceware 162.18 with Windows XP.

Only "problem" is the white fog.

MfG Lee

I would REALLY like an official statement on this as I am soon to purchase a new GFX card, been considering a 8800GTS but after all the recent bad talk about it I'm really not so sure anymore if it's worth buying.

confused_o.gif

both Arma and the 8800 are unstable at best.. put them both together and what you get is something resembling a poop sangwich..

I have 2 8800's in sli and they run phenominally in single player games.. MP.. same thing as you guys, fog etc....they run kina crappy in arma especially.. My fram rates drop way to low to be in acceptable ranges though not often..

still I can't run 1900x1080 or x1200.. cant run very high settings.. which after paying 2200 bucks for this system and building it myself I know it should be able to... it's nvidia.. 70% nvidia and 30% arma..lol..

Makes no sense to me.. the real deal is nvidia made some crappy drivers to go with crappy vista and said skrw xp users for one..

for two the card heats up like a beast.. " I removed my covers and mounted pci slot fans under each one.. I dont hit 70c anymore that I've seen..

But yea man.. the cards are buggy as hell.. I've been boxing with nvidia about them since I bought them in emails and such and they just totally pass the blame off to everything else but their card.. I even had an issue where they took my unresolved issue and updated it to resolved "thinking I would just not notice" and they hadn't fixed one thing..

it's not just the 8800 gts.. it's the 8800's period.. the drivers are the same for the gtx and the gts's.. it's the drivers and maybe even the actual physical hardware causing the problems.

my 8800 gts's in sli are awsome until I play games like arma..

I'd bet the gtx does exactly the same thing..

only difference being that the gtx has more memory etc..

so it will ride out longer util the brain hemorage catches up to it I'd bet.

I did post this somewhere else in here?

But everyone i know that has a 8800 and plays ArmA,can't speak highly of em? smile_o.gif

i'm having probs with 8800gts 640mb and arma...

flashing objects, crash to desktop with not being able to create texture dxt5 or something, and yesterday blue screen for nv4_...dll..

i'm reading lots of people having some sort of problems with 8800 and arma

I am running a Asus EN8800GTS on an ASUS MBO with AMD AM2 6000+, 2 gig ram.

Except the crashing "Cannot Create.... Messages) which I'm sure is form me pushing the envelope with to resolution up in the 1600 range and High frequency 85 (not sure if it matters but i'm using a good CRT monitor).

In the 1280x800 and 70-75 Hz range no problems.

Running XP Pro

Also, I'm not sure which drivers (stock off CD), I'm using not fully update that I know but not too old.

For what it's worth I am also using Asus video monitoring software which shows all fine. (actually I think I might try and see if it logs while I play a round of ARMA!wink_o.gif

Old saying: If it isn't broken no need to fix it!!

It's really important that it's noted wether or not your using Vista with these 8800's.. if so your in for even more trouble..

I hate to say it but Vista is just begging for CTD"s with arma and the 8800 combined.. Vista has problems with ARMA period.. and the 8800..lol.. man it's just a world of hurt for vista users..

the NV4 errors means your nvidia display driver stopped working.. I'd try normal settings for your quality and nothing above like 2048x1024.. i dont go above 1024x768 even to be safe and reinstall the driver.. just the display driver..

I had the flashing problem too.. turned out my gamma was to high.. could look into that too..

also make sure you have the newest drivers.. if your on xp

theres a beta driver out.. its the 162.18 driver.. just google 162.18 and it will come right up..

It's just a badly made card that was rushed out to beat a competitor.. idk if it will ever be right to be honest.. wish I knew more about hardware.. but it has gotten alot better..

Since I seem to be one of the only person that hasn't had any problems with my card and Armed Assault, I'll go ahead and expand on my story.

Before my card arrived, I was using a 6600GT. It worked fine, except the textures wouldn't load fast enough, and obviously performance wasn't good. Then I bought a 8800GTS 640MB, and plugged it in. I didn't bother uninstalling my old drivers, so that caused a lot of problems.

Even though I had the 8800 drivers, Armed Assault was still running very poorly. I only played with it for about an hour, but textures were still loading slowly.

At this point I tried to uninstall the old drivers, but I was careless and by the time I finished, Arma wouldn't even open.

At that point I reformatted, reinstalled all my drivers, a few other programs, and Arma+1.08 patch. Ever since then I haven't had any problems, and the performance has been great. I haven't done much testing so it's hard to say exactly how good, but better than before I reformatted.

Oh yea, textures load fine too.

My specs:

A64 3000+

1 gig of ram.

BFG 8800GTS 640mb (factory overclocked)

Windows XP

But everyone i know that has a 8800 and plays ArmA,can't speak highly of em? smile_o.gif

spam anyone? I can't even understand that... looks like a post count spammer..

that information was easily attainable by reading the posts..

It's really important that it's noted wether or not your using Vista with these 8800's.. if so your in for even more trouble..

I hate to say it but Vista is just begging for CTD"s with arma and the 8800 combined.. Vista has problems with ARMA period.. and the 8800..lol.. man it's just a world of hurt for vista users..

the NV4 errors means your nvidia display driver stopped working.. I'd try normal settings for your quality and nothing above like 2048x1024.. i dont go above 1024x768 even to be safe and reinstall the driver.. just the display driver..

I had the flashing problem too.. turned out my gamma was to high.. could look into that too..

theres a beta driver out.. its the 162.18 driver.. just google 162.18 and it will come right up..

It's just a badly made card that was rushed out to beat a competitor.. idk if it will ever be right to be honest.. wish I knew more about hardware.. but it has gotten alot better..

I'll re-phase!

What i meant was that i know atleast 6 ppl that have upgraded to a 8800 since playing Arma!

And they say it's the best card they've ever bought-makes Arma look and play so much better!

As the post topic says '8800 problem or ArmA'

The ppl i know, no one has a problem with either

Btw,i edited this post incase i get accused of spamming again?

I didn't have any issues with my 8800GTX yet, it's working really well, even in ArmA.

I'll re-phase!

What i meant was that i know atleast 6 ppl that have upgraded to a 8800 since playing Arma!

And they say it's the best card they've ever bought-makes Arma look and play so much better!

lol nah.. I think it's your ?'s that messed me up.. you only use a ? when your asking a question.. like: how are you doing today?

if I say "I am doing fine today?" it means I don't know how im doing..

just confused me is all.. my bad.. it would be

"I am doing fine today." no (?) at the end.. unless your asking a question..

like where u said:

It should be:

Btw,i edited this post incase i get accused of spamming again.

a . means your telling something.

a ? means your asking something.

tounge2.gif.

sorry about that buddy..

I do also have the Asus EN8800GTS/640MB and except the

fog issue, no problems whatsoever (WinXP 32bit/ 160.03 driver)

-

Please do note, that the original fan duty cycle for the 8800s

straight from factory might be too low, causing overheating issues.

And as we know, ArmA is heavy on everything. smile_o.gif

I have had to force mine via Rivatuner to run at 100% while

playing games.

I only can highly recommend to change the fan duty cycle

(from ~60% [?] in 3D mode) to 100% and go back down to 50% in 2D.

Instructions on how to do so on this link:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eboog....ide.htm

Again; no issues. Enjoy! smile_o.gif

I'll re-phase!

lol nah.. I think it's your ?'s that messed me up.. you only use a ? when your asking a question.. like: how are you doing today?

if I say "I am doing fine today?" it means I don't know how im doing..

just confused me is all.. my bad.. it would be

"I am doing fine today." no (?) at the end.. unless your asking a question..

like where u said:

It should be:

Btw,i edited this post incase i get accused of spamming again.

a . means your telling something.

a ? means your asking something.

tounge2.gif.

sorry about that buddy..

Hey np matey , all good smile_o.gif

Maybe there should be a poll?

Like Who's Arma runs fine with a 8800,and who's doesn't.

Btw sorry for the off topic

Poll should include:

I have a 8800, Win XP and ArmA runs great.

have a 8800, Win XP and ArmA runs terrible.

have a 8800, Win XP and ArmA doesn't work.

I have a 8800, Win Vista and ArmA runs great.

have a 8800, Win Vista and ArmA runs terrible.

have a 8800, Win Vista and ArmA doesn't work.

too bad we can't have polls with enough options to separate the different 8800 cards.

No doubt the performance is much higher with an 8800.

I am (was) able to run all settings on high at 1440x900 resolution with good FPS even in built up areas.

The problem is that passed some time period, usually 20-30 minutes everything slows down, and artifacts start to appear. That's usually a sign of overheating. If this doesn't happen the game will outright crash, or crash the entire system. It's almost 100% of the time now in MP games. Making it unplayable.

I've mounted an auxilary fan to help keep the card cool. still doesn't fix it, it just adds a little bit more time. I'm starting to suspect that the stock cooling system is faulty or installed improperly. I've contacted customer service and will be replacing the card. I'll reply back on this thread if that fixes the problem.

Yeah, ArmA is definetly unstable at times, and I've red particualry for Vista users. But I've never had these kinds of problems on Vista with my old 8600 card. Game ran smooth and no crashing ( of course with much lower settings).

Edit: Nvidia Monitor tells me the card is running at around 84-5oC even when idle!

words..

Have you tried the FLUSH command?

Quote[/b] ]- New: Cheat Shift+Minus FLUSH to allow to manually flushing all VRAM allocations to restore performance if needed.

No I haven't, didn't think it was related. I'll give it a try.

I recently upgraded to an 8800GTS card from my 8600GTS. Ever since then my game has been much much more unstable, especially in MP games.

I'm running Vista, some may say that's the problem, but it did run fine with the 8600. I have 2GB of Ram, and the latest drivers for all hardware and the 1.08 patch.

How is that an 'upgrade'? The 8800 series is significantly older silicon than the 8600 series, and there's a list of features that were introduced on the 8600 series that aren't available on the 8800's.

A true upgrade would be to the 8800's successor, or if they do a refresh.