AfrographX

Dawn Raiders - A Command Engine Mission

Promo_01.jpg

Dawn Raiders

A mission using Chain of Command's Command Engine

Command a whole company of US Rangers on a classic airfield raid and evacuation mission

Change Log:

- Fixed Endcondition

- Fixed Enemy Unit Icons

- Adjusted Enemy Forces Positions

The Story:

Two days ago in the morning hours of 13th May 1989 a right-wing extremist paramilitary group overthrew the moderate government of the small state Vilnius. The situation is chaotic and the atmosphere excited. There are credible reports that the new regime committed several acts of violence to the civilian population. Among the victims are also members of the small community of foreign nationals including US citizens. The President has ordered the evacuation of all foreign nationals in aggreement with the governments of the other nations concerned and the Security Council of the United Nations.

Promo_02.jpg

Important stuff:

This mission is still a little rough around on the edges. A few things yoo should know:

I played the mission on a low-end system with view distance set to 1500 and terrain at normal with an average fps of 15-25. The intro and the initial paradrop can be a bit laggy but it gets better afterwards.

During the pararop a few of your AI soldiers may die. I don't know why. It has probably something to do with the OFP engine not being able to handle such large numbers of ejects.

DO NOT CALL IN THE HERCS BEFORE YOU'VE CLEARED THE AIRFIELD. Otherwise the whole operation may end with four Hercs standing burning on the runway and you being trapped on the island.

CLEAR THE RUNWAY OF ALL TROOPS before landing the Hercs. AI soldiers (speaking of friendly ones now) will mess up the aircraft AI taxiing on the ground. Here again don't know why, just an OFP engine thing. Try to keep your troops outside the yellow box until the last fourth Herc landed and taxiied to the loading position

Promo_03.jpg

Addons:

You'll need two customised Addons (included in the RAR-Archive):

1. I made a quick reskin of my FLK C130 to represent a USAF C130 from 1989, it's included in this download. WARNING it's the same filename as the original FLK C130 so put it in another mod folder or backup the original file

2. In order to allow the Hercs uninterrupted movement on the airfield's taxiway I had to move the hangars and tower a few metres to the east. Otherwise they would get stuck at the tower. Here again backup the original file.

Other Addons:

3. BAS RusOPFOR http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=6105

4. Hyakushiki US soldiers Pack (you only need the US soldiers from the pack)http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10540

5. USMC Symbols http://www.downloads.thechainofcommand.net/

Check "Addon_Folder.jpg" to see how your addon folder should look like.

DOWNLOAD LINK (UPDATED): http://lenny.liquid-skill.de/Dawn_Raiders.rar ~8MB

Here two ingame screenshots:

ingame_1.jpg

Fighthing through the hilly terrain north of the airfield.

ingame_2.jpg

Preparing to attack the airfield itself.

You'll probably spent most of the time over the map since the coordination of a whole company requires some work. Nonetheless the atmosphere is really nice. Especially if you're using ECP or GRAA the sound coulisse with bullets wizzing overheard and the gunfire from your platoons fighting in the distance is quite atmospheric.

Quote[/b] ]I have played your mission till short after the paradrop.

The briefing is very detailed, I like it. You could use a bit more text for the marker links as "1", "2" and so on are a bit hard to click (they are so tiny).

I would appreciate it if you used the team function of the CE so that you could order platoons as a whole team in formation from A to B instead of ordering around all squads seperately.

Your CE options menu in the action menu seems to be messed up, it does not open and tells me "There are no groups blah blah". I think this is because of the players group being alone in a CE team. Thus my suggestion is to disable the menu in the action menu.

I am looking forward to playing this one, if it holds what the briefing promises than it will be very entertaining smile_o.gif

-----------------------------------------

Does your mission "feature" the savegame bug? I suppose it is a quite long mission where I would want to save the mission at least once confused_o.gif

I think the savegame-bug is connected to the command engine, so probably yes. But with the number of friendly units involved it's unlikely that you as company commander will get killed by enemy fire. And if you stick to the recommendations regarding the handling of the Hercules landings there's little that can go wrong.

Hey Afrograph X. Tried to download your mission, but the link no longer works. Maybe you can upload it to the Mission database site for example (www.ofpmdb.net though you probably know that).

Regarding the savegame bug: it seems not to be present in your mission rofl.gif

The savegame bug occurs when a mission contains too many global variables which cannot be reloaded, and with the CE2 using quite some global variables you have relatively little global variables left to use in a CE2 mission.

oh, will reupload the file thursday night, deleted it by accident.

Re-uploaded the file. Sry it took so long. Will try to fix some more things on this mission this weekend and I got another mission involving CE2 in the works.

Gave this a whirl this afternoon because St. David occupies a permanent place in my addons folder, as do HYK's troopers, so why not...

Landed, started sending my squads out towards the designated choke-points but apparently was not fast enough in doing so because we got mobbed from every direction by BRDMs and Urals. I didn't see much by way of friendly AT fire and things basically deteriorated to a laggy slideshow. Had no real idea of how the southern firefights were going because I was too busy defending myself. Died within a couple of minutes and called it quits. Looks like it would be a lot of fun, I might try again.

I haven't played this completely either.

But I can only agree with SEAL84 that it is an entertaining mission.