Sign in to follow this  
TrunkzJr

Stopping to Reload

I agree, more or less. Reloading a magazine-fed weapon on the run is dumb, and reloading a belt-fed weapon on the run is REALLY dumb (and really hard), but the game shouldn't be hard-coded to keep you from doing dumb things if you really want to. wink_o.gif

Hm.

If reloading on the move were implemented, then the effects tharawdeal mentions above should also be implemented. As someone probably said in here : you can't reload on the move because the designers think it's impossible in real life, but because there's no point in coding in a complicated piece of random-chance-dropping-magazines-and-fumbling-around script just so that a couple of dudes can reload their magazines while walking, "like in all other FPSes". :P

Likewise, you can't shoot while sprinting, even though it's perfectly possible to pull the trigger. Why? Because the only thing you'll hit is the sky, the ground, yourself and your teammates. This is not, as far as I can see, an engine limitation, but a design choice-> You can though shoot while jogging, but you could do that in OFP already (one of Sanctuary's animation-mods had the animation where you jogged with your weapon up - useful for that, perhaps). thumbs-up.gif

I believe most of the flak actually comes from the lack of a possibility to cancel the reload, which then often leads to the abovementioned deaths. This I do agree on should be changed, so that moving or whatever (pressing reload again?) cancels the animation and lets you move again.

Just out of curiosity, since we have a very broad range of real military expertise here, older and newer guard : any of you ever been in a combat situation in real life where you reloaded your weapon while on the move? Not on the shooting range or while testing to see if you can do it, but in real life.

Just my 0.02€!

Regards,

Wolfrug

The problem is that its difficult to simulate that its dumb.. In RL you can reload on the move, but if you fumble its not good. Because of that you do not reload on the move.

If you could reload while moving in arma, why would you ever stop to reload? There is no drawback as you do not fumble ingame.

So you get a less realistic game.

Its the same thing with empty mags. Yes, in game you can leave mags all over the place as someone is kind enough to supply you with real mags. But keeping the reload times more real makes the game more realistic.. (I wouldnt mind picking up small ammoboxes and having a long reload mag anim when you want to fill up a mag or two biggrin_o.gif )

I will not mention all the things you could do in game that you cant do in RL if the developers/modders made some changes, as that is not the purpose of this game.

I believe most of the flak actually comes from the lack of a possibility to cancel the reload, which then often leads to the abovementioned deaths. This I do agree on should be changed, so that moving or whatever (pressing reload again?) cancels the animation and lets you move again.

Yes, that is an issue. If someone can implement that it would be great. BUT if you do cancel a reload, the gun should be empty so you have to reload again.

I think the point is being missed.

IRL People choose not to reload while moving but they are perfectly capable of doing so if they want to. I'm sure that in combat if you were on the move, with no nearby cover and needed to reload you would.

In ArmA reloading while on the move is prevented because of an animation that the engine chooses to display. There is also the bug that if you look around during reloading, your view snaps back to the direction you were looking at when you hit reload. These are game limitations that do not reflect the RL ability of a person to do more than one task at a time.

Just another example of a code driven limitation driving game play, rather than a reasonable attempt to reflect reality.

My $0.02.

The engine doesn't choose anything. It is incapable of animations that it isn't directly programmed to do.

I'm not solidly toward moving when reloading or not. Personally I reload behind cover 90% of the time because it's smart. I cannot think of a time when the reload-stop thing ever got me killed. I'm sure it has but it must be months and months ago.

The M16 reload time is ridiculously short anyway. In 4IB we don't even bother to mention reloading as by the time you've said it, you're done. M240s and M249s are a simple "Hot" "Cold."

"You can move in real life while reloading."

"Yeah, but it makes the reloading longer, increases the chance of mistake."

"So?"

"Well ArmA can't (or won't) model all those factors so a flawless fast moving reload would fly in the face of the entire concept of a realism shooter."

"Oh."

What I can get behind is the idea that movement should interrupt the animation canceling the reload. Let's look at this concept shall we?

1. User reloads

2. User decides (mid reload) to move

3. Weapon thus is changed from whatever it was to have no magazine, no rounds in it.

4. User finishes move and is stationary

5. User reloads again

6. User waits for the damn 0.000001 sec animation to complete before wandering off like some ADHD bunny.

7. EVERYONE WINS AND EATS CAKE

Just for some input while reloading on the move with My Kar98k it is very viable but a very exposing way of reloading. I don't have any magazine weapons to test out reloading on the movie just guns that use Stripper Clips or Manual Loading Click, Click, Click

In RL who pulls out your riflle for a second after you look through your binoculars when you go to use your pistol?

Exactly what is the soldier doing?

Keeping spent mags and putting them back into the vest?

Probably. Thats what you need to do, you need the empty mags to reload later (in RL).

You do that in real life, because in real life you also get 5.56mm rounds in ammo boxes and have to load your magazines yourself.

In the game, however, you go to an ammobox (or a body) and pick up new magazines.

Therefore, you should just eject the old magazine and jam in a new one.

Exactly...there is no ammo box. Only odd-numbered close to empty used mags. So until there is an ammo box the only reason to keep those extra mags would be say, if you have been on a long mission and only have like 4 bullets left in a used mag then sure, good thing I saved em. But, maybe there should be an option to choose to drop or keep the mag each with time/space benefits.

In my previous post I mentioned the dump bag. Which would make sense if keeping mags for later but personally I hate having to shoot of the last couple rounds to get a full clip. If you press reload again then it just reloads the same clip instead of a different one...maybe thats something that could change?

I totally agree that running while reloading not very tactical but like said previously, you should at least have the option and a choice to run away if compromised. But if it is a game limitation and not a dev choice then thats different...

I personally like the reload on that game called Black. Your peripheral view blurs and you can only focus on the mag going into the gun and cant really see your surroundings, first Ive seen in an fps. very realistic wink_o.gif

maybe there should be an option to choose to drop or keep the mag each with time/space benefits.

In my previous post I mentioned the dump bag. Which would make sense if keeping mags for later but personally I hate having to shoot of the last couple rounds to get a full clip.

well, if you go to reload at a crate \ body \ any ammo source,  you can remove the used clips first, then take new ones, and you'll end up with just full clips ( as long as there are full clips awailible you'll get them first from ammo storages, just like when reloading ) pistols.gif

I'm all for it. Having people stop to reload can really screw up a raid or any other mission where you need everybody fast and effective.