Sign in to follow this  
imported_Fallschirmjager

This warning should have come with the game...

This is a joke. A lot of people are having problems with this game ctd or freezing. I've seen all sorts of answers, most of which involve taking steps you might not have done before, such as

overclocking your video card

changing your aperture setting on your agp card

dowloading files to change settings on your bios

The game should have come with this warning:

Purchasing and using this game requires technical maintenance you either haven't tried before, haven't heard of before or at most read about others doing it to their rigs. Good luck getting the game to work.

And I have actually seen some here joyful that they got their game to work for 30 minutes without freezing. Whoopiee. Let's throw a party.

Now I'm just guessing here but perhaps, just perhaps, the devs knew about this before they released the product. What do you think???

The list of suggestions on changing your settings is longer than the line at Walmart when they sold the wii system.

C'mon guys, you can do better than this? You did the first time around and it was great. I'd love someone to tell me what I should try next.

1 gig ram, geforce 6600 should play this on at least the low settings without ctd.

what do you think.?huh.gif

GeForce 6600 no GT , probably 128MB?

And what CPU?

Dought it's his video...I played for 4 months with a FX-5900 1gig ram, amd64 +3000 with med-low settings.

The 6600 sucks if it`s not the GT, and the CPU is important too.

Don`t blame the game for an slow PC.

ArmA runs good on my rig, and that is a little old by now.

It's a gt and it's a 2.6 ghz intel p4.

So, I've at least met min specs and for ram I met recommended (1 gig). Now I'm not hoping for miracles here but at low settings, which I am using, the game should work. If not, then they need to raise the min settings.

So don't give me the "your rig is too old bit." If it is, fine, tell me that on the packaging. But if it isn't, then the game should work on some level, even at low settings.

No offense Mr_Tea but the fact that it runs well on your computer is meaningless to all the people having this problem. don't get me wrong I'm happy for you, but that isn't helping us sorry saps out here in crash mania.

And from some of the posts, I believe the ctd/freeze problem is happening in newer rigs too.

I love ofp as much as you do but the ctd problem should be addressed.

I had more or less the same rig as you before I upgraded and had no problems with ArmA, maybe your PC is not very optimized?

Anyway my advice is upgrade, seriously, do it now even if you have to eat dog food for a couple of months, it's truly worth it.

You're probably right, but if you read some of the other posts surrounding this topic, you will find some with very upscale rigs having the same problem.

One cure I read, which is almost humorous, and this guy wasn't kidding, was to unplug the usb cable on your keyboard and plug it back in. It worked for him.

This is ridiculous and it has to do with more than just power, but neither I nor anyone else so far has come up with the solution.

The problem with the newer rig`s are unoptimized drivers, and often the use of an unsupported OS (Vista).

I bought an GeForce 7600GS with 512MB some time ago, it is really cheap and has a good performance.

The problem with the newer rigs is ARMA..lol.. The game is badly optimized and technologies were not taken into consideration at developement that should of been.. like dual cores.. and dx10 capable graphic cards..

that and the FACT it renders textures with brain numbing difficulty.. the game has problems... bottom line..

try telling me its my system when it costed me 2200 bucks..lol.. yea I still have ctd's from time to time but rarely.. try the fixes in

the hardware tips and tricks section, they seemed to help quite a bit.

everyone has some kind of problems with this game pretty much..

if you want help, check that section and follow those steps.. those are the steps people have taken over and over again to make them stable in alot of cases..

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the info is there for a reason, for people to use it that are having problems, so i highly recommend you use it.

if you still have problems "after" trying those fixes, then ask again, but try them first.

when you say things like "most of these fixes involve people doing things like" it lets me know you don't want to try them because your either nervous about mesing something up or you want someone to walk you through it step by step..

that's likely not going to happen.. Theres just to many steps, you need to try and read all those fixes and look for what applies to you.

With your specs and the posted minimum requirements, yes your system should work fine.. if it doesn't.. well then to me thats just false advertising..

the rig i use b4 i upgrade is a R9800 SE softmoded

cpu is AMD 2400+ (no O/C), 768MB ram on a nForce2 MB

and the game still runs on low setting

i really cant see the point here, if you have a med-low pc, dont blame the game for poor perforemce

oh and just in case you dont know, not only ArmA, many HW problems about gaming is being fix with ridiculous ways, unplug and replug HW for example is one of them

This is a joke.  A lot of people are having problems with this game ctd or freezing.  I've seen all sorts of answers, most of which involve taking steps you might not have done before, such as

overclocking your video card

changing your aperture setting on your agp card

dowloading files to change settings on your bios

The game should have come with this warning:

Purchasing and using this game requires technical maintenance you either haven't tried before, haven't heard of before or at most read about others doing it to their rigs.  Good luck getting the game to work.

And I have actually seen some here joyful that they got their game to work for 30 minutes without freezing.  Whoopiee. Let's throw a party.

Now I'm just guessing here but perhaps, just perhaps, the devs knew about this before they released the product.  What do you think???

The list of suggestions on changing your settings is longer than the line at Walmart when they sold the wii system.  

C'mon guys, you can do better than this?  You did the first time around and it was great.  I'd love someone to tell me what I should try next.

1 gig ram, geforce 6600  should play this on at least the low settings without ctd.

what do you think.?huh.gif

I have a similar rig to yours: a 6600GT, Barton 2600+ and 1 gig of RAM. I don't have problems running the game. However the age of my whole rig does show up and I have to play it on low settings, with shaders on very low and shadow on off. While visually it's nothing special, it still looks nice enough for me and I can endure platoon on platoon action in most areas, if not all. And I haven't done anything special to my settings or overclocked the graphics card.

Guest Ti0n3r

6600 is a piece of shit. If you want to game to run at all you MUST overclock it. Then it will be more than OK.

maybe its better to make sure that you PC is 100% problems(overheating, wrong setting, broken configs .etc) free?

by saying other games works doesnt help too, different games touch different parts of your system, if one part fails that other games didnt touch most of the time you wont be able to notice that untill someother games touch that part, then you got errors

To my opinion; Using computers without a Computer License should become illegal. Just like driving a car.

Not saying the game doesn't have bugs...

To my opinion; Using computers without a Computer License should become illegal. Just like driving a car.

lol that corss the line a little bit

If he really wants to fix the prob..lets just start with basic posibilities.. i.e video drivers....

Get this driver sweeper..it's easy to use.

Driver Sweeper

1st unistall video drivers from add/remove prog~

Reboot in safemode and run it...tell it to ONLY remove video drivers. Reboot again to normal desktop..when/if windows tries to install anything for video..tell it NO.

Now you can install the latest drivers for your system from:

Nvidia drivers

Once we know that has been done..and if your problem still occurs..we can then suggest some tweaks.

It's up to you if you want to fix it..or just complain about it.

Well I have a 6600 GT 128 MB VRAM and I noticed ArmA can heat it up so that visual glitches start to appear after playing for some time. I now don't even think of running ArmA without having a large extra fan blowing to the graphics card. Problems can start at around 70 degrees Celcius of GPU temperature and ArmA puts the temp up to that level quite easily.

My computer is old and slow, 1.4 GHz (Athlon XP 1600+) and 768 MB 133 MHz SDRAM. The graphics card has an 4 x AGP bus. This computer really is not good enough to run ArmA, but I can play ArmA in most missions with a performance level I can accept.

Well I have a 6600 GT 128 MB VRAM and I noticed ArmA can heat it up so that visual glitches start to appear after playing for some time. I now don't even think of running ArmA without having a large extra fan blowing to the graphics card. Problems can start at around 70 degrees Celcius of GPU temperature and ArmA puts the temp up to that level quite easily.

My computer is old and slow, 1.4 GHz (Athlon XP 1600+) and 768 MB 133 MHz SDRAM. The graphics card has an 4 x AGP bus. This computer really is not good enough to run ArmA, but I can play ArmA in most missions with a performance level I can accept.

lol it seems my 8800GTS is in really good health after all as most of the time its running under atless 78 when playing ArmA, need to find some ways to cool it down b4 its starts burning huh.gif

People who say things like you just said really should think again. You are blinded by technology and by your own geekyness. I have seen enough of this disease to tell right away if people have it. I had it too but one day I realized how stupid it was to think like that.

Quote from Wikipedia about "geek":

Quote[/b] ]The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word geek as "1: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken, bat or snake 2: a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked 3: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity"

biggrin_o.gif

lol it seems my 8800GTS is in really good health after all as most of the time its running under atless 78 when playing ArmA, need to find some ways to cool it down b4 its starts burning huh.gif

Well I'm not 100 % sure of the 70 deg C, the temperature goes down quite fast when I switch away from ArmA so maybe the temperature while playing ArmA was closer to 80 deg C when the problems appeared. No matter what the temperature was, one thing is for sure: ArmA causes my graphics card to heat up to a level in which visual problems start to appear. It is the first game to do that on this hardware.

Man, I have that same idea in my head. However not because of Fallschirmjager, but because of many other ill educated users that are bordering complete stupid. So many FAQs would become obsolete if a computer license or computer course would be mandatory before you are allowed to use a computer.

oh hell ya sickboy...i completely agree with your opinion.

I build my own computers and I tech support my own computers..

The 8800 card has a new driver.. 162.18.. get it.. it's beta, but it works better.. the 8800 is also a hot card, expect it to run hot.. only way to keep it cool other than water is alot of air and taking off the cover to expose the cooling fins to direct air flow.. I don't break 70c now even in the game and I run 2 in sli.

Use ATI tool to test the temperatures, it's a fairly good indicator, even for nvidia cards..

use riva tuner to overclock your video card and turn the fan settings to manual and 100%.. will help you quite a bit with temperatures.

my specs : 2 8800 gts 320's in sli

2gb ddr2 800 5-5-5-15 ram

e6400 conroe oc'd to 3.2 ghz on thermo electric cooling

evga 680i sli mobo (not the lt)

ocz game extreme 700 watt PSU.

No, it wasn't meant as an insult. Apologies, I copy pasted the wrong name.

Guess the joke's on me eh.

I'm sorry then..lol.. see, I knew I edited my post for a reason..lol..

It didn't make sense to me, so I was confused.. allow me to remove that statement... thanks for clarifying. smile_o.gif