Sign in to follow this  
zootia

Bring up the console

How do you bring up the console to see the various messages that already faded away? Is there a way to do this even?

There is no console, however you can open the chat type screen and press page up and down to scroll trough the chat messages you got.

There are really two "consoles" one is the chat window where you can #vote on public servers or #login as admin.

The other console is invisible and is accessed by pressing Left_Shift + Num_Minus and then quickly typing in your command such as "flush" or "terrain"

There are really two "consoles" one is the chat window where you can #vote on public servers or #login as admin.

The other console is invisible and is accessed by pressing Left_Shift + Num_Minus and then quickly typing in your command such as "flush" or "terrain"

Don't like this part with the "invisible" console. Whats the sense of that? Why is ArmA once again the special troublechild among all the games in our current world? Why not having a console like evry other game...

This is not BF2 tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

but yeah console would be nice..

Don't like this part with the "invisible" console. Whats the sense of that? Why is ArmA once again the special troublechild among all the games in our current world? Why not having a console like evry other game...

You call everything thats different or alternative, a ProblemChild?

There is an "Invisible Cheat Insertion 'Console'" indeed... Well if you ask me, to build in a console, just for typing in the cheats is a bit unnececairy.

For what else would you need a console?

There are Addon Console's out there, which is more a scripting console than a console as you would know it from Doom3/Quake4, for debugging missions/scripting engine which aid a lot and make things a lot more easy to debug, sure, but why would you need such a console during normal mission/campaign/mpmission play?

I guess it all comes down to taste. I don't mind that there is no console as there is in games like Doom3 etc.

You call everything thats different or alternative, a ProblemChild?

So, I'm sure you can bring evidence where exactly I called "everything that's different" a problem child.

(no need for an answer - we already know it)

€dit: Sounded like a rhetorical question - that's why. Oh yes.. the actual message. Wait a second

So, I'm sure you can bring evidence where exactly I called "everything that's different" a problem child.

(no need for an answer - we already know it)

It's a question, not an assumption or that i'm saying that you do.

(Correction on the problem child --> trouble child, btw)

Care to respond to the actual message?

I think a console would be very helpful in terms of debugging: Hardware troubleshooting as well as mission debugging.

There is a reason why other games have consoles. Yes there are reasons... No those are exactly the reasons I alyways prefer a console in a game. List them? Well...

-You can access engine-deep components easily

-You can even access atributes which would not be listed in the "normal settings"

-You can debug

-You can customize the game

I am sure that there are a dozen others

Ty for the response.

I have never used consoles for the things you mention, except mission debugging in ofp and arma, which I guess we could say is "limited".

I personally do not need it for the things you mention, so for me there would be no need for such console.

Customizing the game for me would be through configs, scripting etc. etc.

Debug, if it's about access to the scripting language then I agree that it would be cool that such console would be built in, though for me it also has no importance as there's Addons out for that smile_o.gif

The reason the console is invisible:

1. God hates you.

2. BIS hates you.

3. BIS is Czechoslovakian.

4. God is probably Czechoslovakian too.

If you're going to try to rationalize things that BIS has done in making ArmA I suggest you stock up on aspirin now.

1. God hates you.

2. BIS hates you.

3. BIS is Czechoslovakian.

4. God is probably Czechoslovakian too.

Enough with the bullshit. icon_rolleyes.gif

You people have exactly no sense of humor. What I meant to say is that OFP/ArmA is created by people that often do things slightly different than the rest of game developers. Sometimes these differences are great (like the existence of the game(s) altogether). Other times these differences are wacky features or game design that takes getting adjusted to if they haven't experienced it before. The Czechs over at BIS have a demented brilliance and admirable dedication. My impression is in that what the game developers lack in terms of conventional game design (if that can even be called a lack) they more than make up for in their vision and heart-and-soul approach to OFP/ArmA.

Alongside that I was trying to provide a friendly mocking "Yes, sure, the console is invisible. It must be a punishment from the heavens aimed squarely at you." In fact it's just one of many facets of OFP/ArmA that confound my brain's attempt at rationalizing such design. I would not back down on my statement that the game(s) are full of such confounding things, but I would rather play this than much else.