Sign in to follow this  
Steinouer

Protecs

Why was the basic helmet for the special forces switched to the skateboard protec helmets? The current MICHs are light, effective and commonly worn by special forces, while the black protecs havn't been used since the 80's.

Early 90's wink_o.gif

And I would imagine they have them because the protec has "OMFG D3LTA!!1!11!!!11!!!" "coolness" about it.

Why was the basic helmet for the special forces switched to the skateboard protec helmets?  The current MICHs are light, effective and commonly worn by special forces, while the black protecs havn't been used since the 80's.

the helmets they wore before the ProTecs weren't MICHs. they were ordinary PASGT helmets.

i like the ProTecs. at least now the Special Forces soldiers look like special forces.

and ProTecs are still worn. there are plenty of more recent pictures showing spec ops soldiers wearing protecs. mostly SEALs since ProTecs seem to be worn only in CQB and VBSS scenarios, but still...

realism isn't everything. and the ProTecs are about as realistic as the previous PASGT... i'd vote for MICHs, but i'm satisfied with ProTecs as well.

Early 90's wink_o.gif

And I would imagine they have them because the protec has "OMFG D3LTA!!1!11!!!11!!!" "coolness" about it.

thats awsome, comming from a mod member of BAS who created the coolest Delta Force addon out there smile_o.gif

Mich would be sweet though.

Why was the basic helmet for the special forces switched to the skateboard protec helmets?  The current MICHs are light, effective and commonly worn by special forces, while the black protecs havn't been used since the 80's.

the helmets they wore before the ProTecs weren't MICHs. they were ordinary PASGT helmets.

i like the ProTecs. at least now the Special Forces soldiers look like special forces.

and ProTecs are still worn. there are plenty of more recent pictures showing spec ops soldiers wearing protecs. mostly SEALs since ProTecs seem to be worn only in CQB and VBSS scenarios, but still...

realism isn't everything. and the ProTecs are about as realistic as the previous PASGT... i'd vote for MICHs, but i'm satisfied with ProTecs as well.

armed-assault-screens-21_1_1653.jpg

The helmets in the European version were MICHs, but for some reason they decided to switch to protecs.  Maybe they watched Black Hawk Down right before they released the US version.

LOL, not much use of a helmet there,wichever model!

Quote[/b] ]i like the ProTecs. at least now the Special Forces soldiers look like special forces.

The protecs make them look like wannabe BHD airsofters, not SF. I mean there's a time and a place to wear a protect helmet, but most of the time, especially when not doing kewl n1nja moves, a SF soldier would probably wear a more normal helmet.

It would've been better for BIS to simply add a new model/unit to the SF roster than to change them all into Blackhawk Down extras.

Yeah I was kinda miffed about SF using Protecs I rather they had MICH or ACH helmets. Now if BIS added Black ops units like in OFP then the Protec could be for them.

Anyways I prefer the Protecs over the regular PASGT helmet they had before but would much rather they had MICH/ACH.

I don't know if the "SF" in ArmA are Delta. I would imagine they are closer to Rangers.

All that video did was make me wish ArmA had a more realistic MH-6 sound and faster pistol switch animations. biggrin_o.gif

I think if they're going to wear black helmets, they need to go all the way.

They need atleast black body armor, and black drop leg holsters. The black helmet on an entirely otherwise camoflaged body looks silly.

All they need now are oakleys........ thumbs-up.gif

While the protecs aren't realistic as modern SF helmets, they do bring instant recognition of the SF units for the casual gamer, which i guess was the point of the whole change- before, it looked like a standard soldier with a pack and a silenced weapon.

More than the helmets though, the SF units could be a bit more distinct- for instance, their Interceptors could be switched to plate carriers or something similar.