Sign in to follow this  
Kill them young

Rooky In Town

Hi all, just got Arma still to play it yet! looking forwards to it. although i sometimes think i’m too old for "Games" now, 2 things 1 is it worth getting a com set, so i can hear and chat? other thing is worth getting a TrackIR 4 Pro? i think not, ok for urban stuff but the rest of the time it seems pretty useless unless you have 3 screens maybe, if the recommendation is a yes for the coms set any thoughts as to what to get (around the £20 mark please)

forgive me if this is in the wrong place (its a very big site and im lost)

Hi, yeah man its an awesome game if you can get it to work, so many people have problems with it that never seem to go away, like me  banghead.gif  lol

I have a vista dual core set up and i really dont think arma likes these, but then it used to work perfect when i first got it, played like a dream on this very rig but problems started when i first patched it for some reason, i really cant understand why they would release a game with so many bugs. aaaaanyway, it is an awesome game, if it works, if not you will be like me, sitting wishing you could figure out why its not working and trying to find the appropriate thread in this massive forum! smile_o.gif good luck!

p.s as for the comms set, sorry i have no idea although i personally wouldnt bother, buy a new pair of jeans or something smile_o.gif

welcome.gif Kill them young.

Strange nick, but anyways.

For the Vista problems, thats why i still have my Win2K Prof. installed, along with Vista to test out the new OS @ first.

If you want to play online, a com set is recommended for the communication with you`re teammates.

Track IR is useful, but there is also the freelook with the mouse available, without additional costs.

the name comes about because of my kids (still spending my money) just think how much i would have saved by now if i lived up to the name!!

ok thats what i though about the flashy 100 pound gizmo

what headset/mike would anyone recommend?

dosn't like pound signs here duz it?

The headsets can be expensive.

You could buy an Sennheiser PC 165 USB, for ~110€, or Sennheiser PC 160 for ~70€.

There are other headsets that are good too, too many to list.

Don`t know if the pound sign is not supported, euro works and dollar too.

no no no no mr tea!

other headsets are not good too!

i swear by my sennheiser.

had 3 diff models till now - they all rock.

all other brand-headsets?

they sound crappy, break, pickup massive noise with mic, worthless!

btw: trackir is very cool! - but i suggest u first play the game a bit!

welcome.gif

Neither to begin with.

If you're looking for good teamwork coms are recommended at some point. You can easily make due with quick typing and abbreviations. People are kind to reply in text, even if they use coms. Most servers displays a teamspeak server address in their welcome messages and invites you to use it. Coms do make coordination more easy and the game more fluent. Untill you get coms, remember either to type and send the text messages very very quickly, or to take cover/go prone before you write. Getting killed while writing is very unsatisfying.

With TrackerIR I'd tell you to wait. Get to know the gameplay first, before you invest in this very specialized hardware. Make sure you've got a crush on ArmA before you get it. I've assigned 'freelook' to my mouse#4 button(button near thumb) and I really don't feel I need a TrackerIR. If you really get into ArmA and especially into ArmA flying, TrackerIR could come in handy.

If you're an abesolute beginner in ArmA, remember it has features which takes time to discover and learn. Not mastering or understanding every special feature from the beginning, can make the player confused or annoyed. But everytime you improve in movement, shooting, navigation or communication, the game will reveal hidden layers and dept. And once in a while, remember to enjoy ArmA's sunsets and cloud formations.  wink_o.gif

I don't think people use Track IR much when on foot, however if they find them selves using vehicles (especially aircraft) a lot then Track IR is their dream.

A headset is always good now VOIP is in. If you fancy joining a gaming team to play regularly with then they will use voice comms more for teamwork.

But yes, welcome.gif , hope you enjoy the game and also welcome to our ArmA community thumbs-up.gif

One of us, one of us...

thanks for the input and advice so far (i have so many questions sorry)

i realise by reading a lot of posts that a team server (with no hackers to spoil it for us, i like a fair game too) what’s the best sever teams to go to?

MODS, like sound (more realistic as i have read here) is a worthwhile mod, what ones do you guys recommend please?

Any more add-ons that make the game better or more playable to have? Before I start, I see there’s a 1.8 patch so I will load that on for sure

There are not that much addons out yet, most retextured original stuff.

When BIS release modding tools to the community, there will be a flood of stuff coming over us.

You should take a look at the Armory, or open the editor to test units, vehicles and Aircraft. Don`t be afraid of the editor, it is easy to use and a mighty tool at the same time.

I use FDF Sound Mod to enhance my sounds and dam it makes a difference.

Some other addon models for units and vehicles have been replaced, however to play online with these, the server you play on, everyone that plays with you and along with yourself all need the exact version of the addon.

The soundpacks don't require this but custom models do.

There are many servers you can play on. I'll probably get tolded off for advertising or something but i'm answering your question and telling you the only server I play on. Filter GOL and join us for a game sometime. Server's running 1.08. We play co-ops together and disable crosshair etc for realism.

Headphones:

Speedlink Medusa 5.1 set has worked well for me and my GF. Great sound and the microphone is of good quality as well.

TrackIR:

wouldn't be without it in vehicles in ArmA - as JasonO has pointed out, it's of dubious value for playing 'grunt' but, if you're a flight simmer at all, these are well worth the investment.

Headphones:

Speedlink Medusa 5.1 set has worked well for me and my GF. Great sound and the microphone is of good quality as well.

TrackIR:

wouldn't be without it in vehicles in ArmA - as JasonO has pointed out, it's of dubious value for playing 'grunt' but, if you're a flight simmer at all, these are well worth the investment.

I second that. My Medusa sounds great with an X-Fi biggrin_o.gif Just waiting for chammys sound mod to come out now inlove.gif

Might even go get Tracker IR next week, is it one of those items where once you use it you wonder how you lived without it?

Microphone - very handy. You obviously don't need it when playing offline but playing online without one can be painful.

TrackIR - I use it on foot and for vehicles. Love it and find it makes the game much more immersive. As others have said, get the game first and then decide.

I would recommend a good stereo Sennheiser set. An X-Fi soundcard can do amazing virtual surround through stereo headphones. If the game supports EAX (which ArmA does), then you get elevation simulated as well. You will also get better sound quality, as well as better bass, than with any 5.1 headset like the Medusa.

Edit:

Also, as Col.Flanders said, a microphone is needed if you want to play some organised multiplayer (not so much on some random public servers though). You don't need a quality one if you're just using it for games, you can just get a cheap one.

TIR: you need to put a lot more time to get used to it for on foot then you normally do in flight sim, someone might never get use to it i have to say, mine didnt give much problem to get used to aside from some motion sickness, basicly i use wherever possible, its not really needed of cause, and the price is just not for everyone, but if you dont mind that money and you have more then 1 game to spend on, have a try