Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

Virtual Community Project

Right so where do we start?

Would a website and forum be a good place to start?

Any volunteers?

whistle.gif

I've got a forum that can be used. Theres also room for a website on my yucatacounty.com domain. I could get a subdomain for you.

I don't know if you read it, but why starting such project when you can't be sure that the servers or arma can handle such traffic.

Friendly fire should be allowed because trying to maintain the status quo would be a cool thing. Particular "zones" could be protected by scripts (e.g. I'm a modder and I don't want to have any dead bodies lying here) Ofcourse Tkillers will need to be banned.

I think that none would want to play the policeman, especially when it appears to be a "come, check stuff, and go" thing.

Maybe an AI law-enforcement thing would do the job. Imagine AI patrols reacting on every act of Tkilling or vandalism (outside certain zones like shooting range or places where addons that actually kill or blow something are being tested).

Zones where you can kill other players would be cool too, it would be like a PvP in mmorpgs. "Are you fast enough?" In such zones it would be possible to T'kill somebody without any consequences. The guy will then respawn anyway.

Moreover...ranking system? So that to get your own gun you have to earn some respect, or proove that you're not an idiot.

more ideas soon

edit:

What about a virtual hall of fame? All mod/addonmakers would have their place there, you could read something about them, see their rl photos etc.

AI controlled public transport anyone? (Cars could be dangerous...just as weapons) You chose the destination.

Lol, each time somebody does something stupid an artifical Placebo spawns and says "please be mature, WL+1. Warning levels would be also cool.

Okay as start: I LOVE THE IDEA

BUT

How would updating something like this go? At start you could have updated pbo's every few weeks, after that it MIGHT get popular and needs some updates every day and maybe even hours

And stuff like this means you need to restart the server every now and then

does the arma engine allow live feed? could there really be a way of getting some sort of CODE from a WEBSITE or something like that in game?

Would this be set-up as a interactive community network thing where you can chat and visit? I once had a chat programm with this type of idea where you could buy a building and advertise and such?

Or will it be more of a GTA type of thing where you can cruize a city and some stores are the sites, most civies are players and you can go to parts of 'town' where you can have some fun with weapons?

---

Okay these where just the first things I was wondering about. Now DON'T get me wrong, I would love to see this and where possible try and help. So please tell me that some of the above are no problem and the rest can be solved in the near future

Okay as start: I LOVE THE IDEA

BUT

How would updating something like this go? At start you could have updated pbo's every few weeks, after that it MIGHT get popular and needs some updates every day and maybe even hours

And stuff like this means you need to restart the server every now and then

does the arma engine allow live feed? could there really be a way of getting some sort of CODE from a WEBSITE or something like that in game?

Would this be set-up as a interactive community network thing where you can chat and visit? I once had a chat programm with this type of idea where you could buy a building and advertise and such?

Or will it be more of a GTA type of thing where you can cruize a city and some stores are the sites, most civies are players and you can go to parts of 'town' where you can have some fun with weapons?

---

Okay these where just the first things I was wondering about. Now DON'T get me wrong, I would love to see this and where possible try and help. So please tell me that some of the above are no problem and the rest can be solved in the near future

yes, it is possible.

i remember seeing a tool that helps you with http updating. that means you can use all different things to allow real time updating while the game is going. i remember seeing it on armedassault.eu if i remember correctly. i'll need to go check it out and see if i can find it and if theres any updates.

as for the server, we could probably start out with maybe 25 slots, on a private server. then gradually get better. im sure with something like this we might be able to cut some deals with server companies and news sites/mods/members of the community. maybe like a "VIP" type thing for donators.

Sorry to douse the heat, but I think, personally, that requires a lot of data exchanging between the server and the user - we'd be seeing a long loadtime. Not exactly feasible for some.

it would exchange the same amount of data as any other mission. and you can get 100+ in a mission without too much lagg. just dont be running on shitty dialup is all =]

I like it, could almost become GTA, if your talkin about jobs then there's gonna be money an where there's money there's gonna be shops an where there's ppl / shops an money there's stealing an gangs, notworthy.gif Thats Sweet