Sign in to follow this  
RangerX3X

A Bridge Too Far

The absolute inability of the AI to negotiate a simple bridge, much less maintain a cohesive convoy line on roadways, with any consistency is a real drain on mission creation.

This is not a new issue and has been around since the Nogova bridge in 2002. At least in OFP you could get some decent convoys going with limited/safe WP settings. It is very inconsistent in ArmA (actually became worse), and the AI still chokes on bridges.

What gives BI? When will this be addressed? Never? pistols.gif

when will you be addressed? never?

being polite is the first thing to do in order to get a decent answer... goodnight.gif

when will you be addressed? never?

being polite is the first thing to do in order to get a decent answer.

This game was released half a year ago now, and you want him to be polite when it still doesn't work.

Just out of intrest what decent answer could you give him, as i don't see anything wrong with his comment.

Half a year? What?

It only hit store shelves here in the US last month. There may have been _beta_ versions available half a year ago.

Half a year? What?

It only hit store shelves here in the US last month. There may have been _beta_ versions available half a year ago.

LOL beta version? what?

It was released in November as a game last year. There was no mention of it been a beta.

LoL never heard of paying to play a beta, (wich this wasn't) you normally test them for free.

Bridge issure is not a new issue. It was found long long ago. But, it never been solved. even in the new Beta 1.7a patch.

Bridge issure it not a difficult issue. I really can understand why the first car of AI Car column can pass it, the second car can not. even cannot find the entrance of the Bridge!

yes, If everything is controlled by real human. it will be a perfect game. but It is impossible...

The worst part of this bug is that the AI doesn't just halt at the bridge when driving a vehicle; it usually barrels down the slope immediately adjacent and drowns itself. banghead.gif

exactly same thing happen for me ...

seems that BIS placed the path for the bridge 5 meter away ...

i've tried with differents armored, seems that shilka take it a little bit better ...

other just halt goes in the water and spins ...

banghead.gif

how to make a mission ??

it makes a long time since bridge introduction in ofp ... should be ready to use now no ??

What makes it particularly painful is that the new map features some really nicely laid out bridge settings. The fact that they are almost useless to the AI is quite infuriating.

Even if you complete discount the problem being in Resistance and look only at this game, how could this possibly have gone past QA?

how could this possibly have gone past QA?

Nice question. biggrin_o.gif

BIS should rebuild their QA system. By the way, do they have QA???

So this problem makes it impossible to make some coop missions involving a bridge? Well instead of fixing bugs like the insects. Why dont they fix the major bugs like this.

The Key to Success is:

Being polite

Being polite

Being polite

+ Half a Year

Being polite

Rant Post

= Answer smile_o.gif

tounge2.gif worked for us but it invloved getting temp bans tounge2.gif none the less we got our problem solved.

but serisuos posting bugs in this fourm is a nono, you must uset the bug tracker as thats where the DEVS go to have a loot at bugs they need to fix.

Yeah what pisses me off is how they wont tell the community "hey guys we're having trouble fixing this issue, but we're working on it, if you give us some more info on the problem and do a bit of testing it would be greatly appreciated." Instead they say nothing, leading us to rant and make posts like these, then people get warnings and bans.

And this is a major bug, you try playing RTS, try sending some AI somewhere, then the next thing u know ALL of them are dead in the water, it seriously cant be that difficult to fix that?

Its problems like this that have halted my mission creation. There's too many irritating bugs that keep croping up when your in the middle of making a mission.

ArmA will be a good game, but i don't know if i can wait that long....

Everytime there's a new patch and when there's no mention of these mission breaking bugs being fixed i get more and more frustrated. Personally i don't think these bugs will ever truely be fixed, as the devs probably concentrate on the MP side of the game more than the SP sad_o.gif .

Those bridges are serious problem, if there would be just one or two bridges it would be fine, but now they are breaking mission-making potential (and gaming fun) of some areas quite complitely. Southern south-sahrani is worst and Gorazol which is already bottleneck (some amount of building-free landmass in one or both oceansides of Gorazol would have been good idea) and it's not even properly working bottleneck because of those bridges.

There might be scriptable solution for it (i'm thinking about setvelocity + disableai "move" and maybe setpos), but well ... I'd rather see BIS to take care of it.

Yeh the RTS ones is really the best ones to show this, specialy north vs south one, i ordered about 6 t72s, 4 bmps, and a couple of brdms and cars with machine guns, took me awhile to get em all but once i did i sent them all off but they got stuck in the middle with some getting stuck under the bridge it was a fucking mess. Never played the RTS games again after that it totally ruined the game for me. If they havnt fixed it since OFP days then i doubt their ever fix it. confused_o.gif

Exactly the same issue happened with me here. Its pathetic.

lol i had to remake my hole convoy mission because they couldnt get over the dam ortego bridge in the north lol, but the mission is still great. rofl.gif

Hi guys. Did you read the change log of 1.08? They still didnot mention only one word about this issue. banghead.gif

I begin to doubt their capability to define the BUG.

I checked the bug tracker! I found this Bug was reported since 1.02. But it still be there right now!

BIS! you should give us an explaination! We paid the money for this game. You guys should do your job! banghead.gif

Half a year? What?

the world's not limited to the US only, you know..... whistle.gif

welcome.gif

One hint to be told, if someone doesn't know it:

-Put waypoints in both ends of bridge. Not on the bridge, but solid ground before and after it. Should work better that way. Also it can be good idea to put them to "careless"-behaviour so that they don't try anything "funny" when on bridge.

I wonder that how people manage to gain that "vehicle falls thru bridge"-feature. I've had it only once in BAS's Tonal-mod (great mod thumbs-up.gif )

-Put waypoints in both ends of bridge. Not on the bridge, but solid ground before and after it. Should work better that way. Also it can be good idea to put them to "careless"-behaviour so that they don't try anything "funny" when on bridge.

To be more specific: There should be 1 waypoint at the beginning where the bridge and road overlap in the mission editor, and at the end where they overlap.

Never been a real problem for me, although they prefer to walk into the middle of the road which is a bit annoying at times. rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]One hint to be told, if someone doesn't know it:

I wonder that how people manage to gain that "vehicle falls thru bridge"-feature. I've had it only once in BAS's Tonal-mod (great mod thumbs-up.gif

lol maybe you've got another version of the game but it doesn't work for me and ye you have to put 2 waypoints it's always better (otherwise its not a hint) but this is a bug, i've played/modded ofp for several years so i know what i'm speaking about ...

To be more specific: There should be 1 waypoint at the beginning where the bridge and road overlap in the mission editor, and at the end where they overlap.

Never been a real problem for me, although they prefer to walk into the middle of the road which is a bit annoying at times. rofl.gif

I haven't put it that specificly, seems to work guite well as long as waypoint isn't on bridge. But closer is better. wink_o.gif

@jimmc wrote:

Quote[/b] ]lol maybe you've got another version of the game but it doesn't work for me and ye you have to put 2 waypoints it's always better (otherwise its not a hint) but this is a bug, i've played/modded ofp for several years so i know what i'm speaking about ...

So there's to of us when it comes to experience wink_o.gif

I've been satisfied with results when using that thing that i told, i haven't noticed problems with it. Ofcourse when using bridges in missions is like creating "medal of humor" type of mission, no dynamic events of anykind in vicinity of bridge. And big units should be broken down.