Sign in to follow this  
Woolridge

When?

When will this tool for ArmA island editing be available to us?

And, when all other ArmA editing tools will also be available?

Nobody knows. Nobody knows a thing. The only thing we've seen in the form of tools is one tiny screenshot of O2 and the words we're working on the tools and they'll be released after the US release in May. And the first two tools to be released are:

TexView and Binarize

Now that was revealed some time before the US release, I think about two months or so ago. Now we haven't heard much about the tools since then. I'd be glad to just hear some news about the tools now that the US release is out, just some news. But oh well, I have my hopes that some news will get out after the 1.08 patch.

What screenshot are you referring to?

Abs

+1 for the screen

+1 for "wait 1.08"

Don't know where you could get the screenshot, but it was very small and showed a high detailed stryker in it, or at least decently detailed stryker, perhaps with normal maps applied. Can't recall that well.

From what I have read this should be coming soon can anyone give us more information about it and how soon?

http://www.vbs2.com/site/press_tools_july_07.html There is out already this program to VBS2 so maybe we will see it too in arma soon. yeah visitor 4 have features like real time terrain editing...

crazy_o.gif I read that yesterday...

Come on, most terrain/map editors for games has a realtime terrain modifier, here it's reserved for VBS?!

That's just stupid mad_o.gif

Visitor 2 for OFP had real time terrain modification, well at least what I interpret the term to mean (you could view and manipulate the terrain grid in 3d).

Visitor 2 for OFP had real time terrain modification, well at least what I interpret the term to mean (you could view and manipulate the terrain grid in 3d).

I mean u could modified terrain around u when u are playin it.

http://www.vbs2.com/site/press_tools_july_07.html There is out already this program to VBS2 so maybe we will see it too in arma soon. yeah visitor 4 have features like real time terrain editing...

Come on, most terrain/map editors for games has a realtime terrain modifier, here it's reserved for VBS?!

That's just stupid  mad_o.gif

They paid 1500$ for it, you paid 50$. Plus they are also probably paying a bit extra for their version of Visitor. We are getting it for free.

VBS is controled by BIA not by BIS.

Quote[/b] ]They paid 1500$ for it, you paid 50$. Plus they are also probably paying a bit extra for their version of Visitor. We are getting it for free.

VBS is controled by BIA not by BIS.

Well I paid ca. 50$ for BF2, Far Cry and will probably pay the same price for Crysis and they all had/will have these features in their free modding tools...

After comparing WrpTool vs. Visitor, Oxygen vs. Gatebuilder, I dare to say the first dedicated ArmA islandeditor is to expected from the community, not the developers.

That's just stupid mad_o.gif

You know what's stupid? Completely making up baseless crap from misreading what was clearly stated...

Quote[/b] ]

The first public release of the VBS2 Tool Suite (available now) includes the following products:

# Visitor 3: Terrain import and editing from source data (DTED, VMAP, satellite)

It's a good opportunity to mention here that you need to do some serious prep work first in ArcGIS and Photoshop to crop and cull and define your GIS data before it is ready for Visitor.

Second, we have this line :

Quote[/b] ]

The next-generation VBS2 Tool Suite is due for release in early 2008, including:

# Visitor 4: Advanced terrain import and editing (includes Landbuilder)

# Real-Time Terrain Editing: Modify terrain ‘on-the-fly’ using the Real Time Editor in-game

Ok, I don't need to comment on the fact that V4 is not now, it is in the future. Anyways, your gripe was about real-time terrain editing, and how everyone else has one already. I kinda beg to differ on that. My understanding is that even the crytek products with all their spiffy PR bullet points still does it's terrain editing 'offline', but with a rapid preview.

What's talked about here is the ability to manipulate the elevation matrix, and possibly the texture or terrain details while the scenario is running, and have those changes be optionally persistent as a modifier template, in addition to being synchronized across a network environment in real-time. That is entirely a different matter from what you are complaining about.

In a gaming context for starters, what do you propose to keep it from becoming a 'master' cheat? If the capability exists within the engine code, ultimately it can be negatively exploited by griefers. Games that have had dynamicly deformable (destructible) terrain AND flight-sim style open terrain environments have normally used deformation culling, where after time the craters will 'fill back in' as the terrain sectors are streamed. Storing and transmitting those variations, especially at the higher terrain resolutions, can result in very heavy storage and transmission penalties. Go back and look at the matrix values for the WRP file formats on the Biki, then extrapolate the values by several orders of magnitude for the higher resolution terraingrid interpolations.

I never meant real-time editing ingame, I meant real time editing as in putting-a-brush-on-the-actual-terrain-a elevate/lower/distort/erode-whatever.

My fears were that I would have to go back and forth between a 2d heightmap editor or Photoshop just make minute adjustments to the terrain without being able to view and manipulate the terrain in 3d realtime.

I clearly misunderstood what was written, fortunately I'm not a native English speaker and also a very absent-minded

person so I guess I'm excused. biggrin_o.gif