Sign in to follow this  
Benthenoob

AI starting in water !!

i couldnt find the bug tracker to post this on and im not sure if anyone else has found this happening

but most AI starting in water have no weapons when they get out of the water, they only have a side arm if they are equipped with one.

doubt its just my arma and not sure if anyone else has discovered this but just thought i would give out the heads up

goodnight.gif

Yes for some reaason if you stay in the water for long enough you will lose all your gear, test it with you in the water you'll see what i mean wink_o.gif

Also i believe i saw a script in my scanning that stops this (not sure where it is though sorry)

It's part of the game to simulate dropping or dumping your gear to lose some weight and stay floating better.

Well Id rather be with a bunch of fully loaded out guys on this side of the river then on the otherside fighting with sticks n' stones! biggrin_o.gif

Jump in the ocean with a full combat load and you'll sink like a stone. umbr44 is right, it's to simulate dropping at least some of your equipment to stay afloat. BIS put swimming in the game mostly for the cases in which you have to bail out of an aircraft over water.

To insert guys from the sea, use the CRRC.

another question... will guns that get in touch with water still work ?

I mean Ive seen pics of spec ops of any kind with MP5s and other in the water (SEAL style) and so forth... would the guns still fire ?

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ June 02 2007,23:55)]another question... will guns that get in touch with water still work ?

I mean Ive seen pics of spec ops of any kind with MP5s and other in the water (SEAL style) and so forth... would the guns still fire ?

Ingame, water doesn't affect the firing capabilities of weapons.

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ June 02 2007,23:55)]another question... will guns that get in touch with water still work ?

I know that, I was wondering how it is in real life. I cant immagine a pistol or rifle to get wet and still shoot properly.

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ June 02 2007,20:37)]

I know that, I was wondering how it is in real life. I cant immagine a pistol or rifle to get wet and still shoot properly.

Depends on the weapon. MP5s for example will fire even in water I believe.

I vaguely remember reading something that M16s and other small-caliber weapons can have problems coming out of water...something about having to hold the bolt open for a minute or so to make sure the water's drained before using so the charging handle doesn't blow back into your teeth when you try to fire. I believe it was in a Nam SEAL book that I saw this. AKs are as usual supposed to be more tolerant to that kind of thing IIRC.

the ak can fire after being submurged in water, driven over in a car and tossed around in the sand. Its a really reliable weapon

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ June 02 2007,20:37)]

Depends on the weapon. MP5s for example will fire even in water I believe.

Most weapons can actually fire submerged.  However bullet velocity is severly dampened by the water.

Being submerged in water will keep any gun that I know of from being fired a second time.  Semi-automatic guns use gases and springs to chamber a new round, not a process that works in water.

(If anyone knows of one that can do it pls let me know, I would love to know how they were able to make that work.)

Here is a video that contains the new HK 416 (based on the M16) that boasts amazing reliability.  In the video the weapon is removed from being submerged in water and buried in sand and immediately fired.  (2mins into the vid)

Future Weapons, Episode: "First Strike," featuring HK 416

Ok, on topic...

Why are the ai starting IN the water? Simple solution would be to put them in a boat?

I vaguely remember reading something that M16s and other small-caliber weapons can have problems coming out of water...something about having to hold the bolt open for a minute or so to make sure the water's drained before using so the charging handle doesn't blow back into your teeth when you try to fire. I believe it was in a Nam SEAL book that I saw this. AKs are as usual supposed to be more tolerant to that kind of thing IIRC.

AR-15 aren't piston action based, that might have something to do with it.

Atleast there are some Russian assault rifles specially made to fire submerged, and there was a Glock (I think) that was able to reliably fire when submerged. It's rather dangerous to fire underwater, though, since the bullet will counter much, much more drag when going through an actual fluid instead of air. This'll lead into more stress on the gun (since the gases can't expand rapidly enough), which might damage it. That is, if the gun will fire at all, due to slowdown on the moving parts.

At about 30-35 degrees angle, a .50 BMG bullet will break apart about a feet or 2 after entering the water. Same goes for most medium-caliber high-speed projectile guns, the slowdown is quite huge.

AR-15 aren't piston action based, that might have something to do with it.

Atleast there are some Russian assault rifles specially made to fire submerged, and there was a Glock (I think) that was able to reliably fire when submerged. It's rather dangerous to fire underwater, though, since the bullet will counter much, much more drag when going through an actual fluid instead of air. This'll lead into more stress on the gun (since the gases can't expand rapidly enough), which might damage it. That is, if the gun will fire at all, due to slowdown on the moving parts.

At about 30-35 degrees angle, a .50 BMG bullet will break apart about a feet or 2 after entering the water. Same goes for most medium-caliber high-speed projectile guns, the slowdown is quite huge.

On the M!6, I think you're right...something to do with the water causing a pressure increase in the barrel which with the direct gas system was a serious problem.

Anyhow I think it was the H&K P11 actually that was the underwater pistol. It fired with an electric charge, had something like 4 rounds only, and had to be shipped back to the factory to be reloaded. tounge2.gif

As for the Russian underwater rifle, it's the APS, which is actually a gas-operated 5.66mm dart gun which was not supposed to be fired out of the water.

In arma (and ofp), if you're partially standing in water, and the waves rise up to the level of (or over) your gun, you will be unable to shoot until they recede. Don't let the water get too deep when you see some bad guys... wink_o.gif