Sign in to follow this  
Ruckus

Question about Debugging MP

I have a map that I'm working on and I have a script that is running on the dedicated server. I was wondering if anyone has any neat little tricks to display variable's and text on the screen?

When I'm working on my local server i use Hint and Format. Is there any way to do something like this with the radio?

I have a trigger that doesn't seem to be working and I need to see some data. It works on the local server but not on the dedicated.

place a civilian and have him spam the globalChat?

If the script is running only on the dedicated server, any hints or globalchats won't be displayed on any clients, as they have local effects.

You could have triggers monitoring certain variables, and publicVariable those variables from inside the script. Put your debugging messages in the triggers.

There may be some other options, but that may depend on your script.

Thanks for the suggestions. The triggers are created via script. It seems to work for the local server, but not the dedicated server. It may not be the trigger creation causing this at all. I use a boundingBox instruction to measure a building that is created via the same script. That determines the area the trigger has to be. At this time, I'm not sure if the boundingbox or the trigger is the problem. That is why I wanted to look at the variables. Perhaps I can pass them via

publicvariable and display them on the player screen?

can strings be passed via publicvariable?

can strings be passed via publicvariable?

yep, strings can be passed using publicVariable.

Arrays doesn't, you can come past this by using teh "call compile" thingy.

local server

myDebugMessage = "blabla"

publicVariable "myDebugMessage"

on client

do a loop or something to check if myDebugMessage has changed.

and player sideChat that or something, it might work,

sickboy, could you please give "NS Lite" an independent release?

Thanks guys....I sent some strings over and found the problem.  

I found that the trigger was being created,  and it was the right size.  The problem was in the on activation statement. I wanted to add a action to the player when the trigger was fired.  Addaction doesn't seem to  be able to add a action to the player from the server.  It must be local only.  I restructured and had this run on the clients and it seems to be fine.  So dam much to learn yet crazy_o.gif

@sickboy, I'll have to checkout the network services and see

if I should implement for future issues. Thanks.

Thanks for the help

Ruckus

sickboy, could you please give "NS Lite" an independent release?

I will, haven't gotten around to it, or better said, havent made the time for it yet. Was also assuming CoC would be already having their full Network Services by now but that seems to progress slowly, if at all.

Sry for OT.

I typically write a debug script to output the checks I need and then use a radio trigger to call.

Ruckus,

Look up the DSTS. It has the ablility to debug a dedicated server to a window outside of Arma.

Ruckus,

Look up the DSTS. It has the ablility to debug a dedicated server to a window outside of Arma.

Thanks....I got it working by creating a little script to send the data. I'll check this out though. It may be handy in the future.