Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

Servers?

I am seriously thinking about getting a server to run ArmA. I would love to get my own t1 line and have a my own server but that will cost too much. So i was wondering what sites out there provide the best gaming servers? There are a few things these companies must provide.

1- server that supports ArmA and allows uploading of user addons and missions

2- high to unlimited bandwidth

3- voip support

4- website with high to unlimited bandwidth that supports php forums

Please let me know what you the community do for dedicated servers and the costs for running them. Are you satisfied with the service and any other useful thoughts.

Depends on how many players, how much a map is doing in the background (scripts). There are quite a few companies out there but it also depends on your location. i would say 100$+ easy for a server that can do 20 players.

I created and manage a non-profit game server company back in December called (TLCservers) that our community created to fund our game servers and to help other communities keep their cost of server rentals low. Once we start to turn a profit, all proceeds will be going to charity. We were looking forward to offering low cost servers in the US for ArmA, but after getting ours online I can't see how we are going to be able to do it. Right now we host a couple of COD2 servers for different clans, and those servers only eat up between 2-60MB's of memory and barely touch the CPU's when active, but Arma starts out at 280MB of memory before anyone connects and goes up from there and it eats up CPU processes like an Ethiopian at a chicken wing eating contest. The box we rent from The Planet has a dual core Intel Xeon 2.4 Ghz processor with 2GB's of RAM and a 10MB Up and 10MB down connection with 10 IP's. Even if I shutdown all the COD2 servers I can't see us getting another Arma server running stable on that box. If you could get two Arma servers on the same box running stable the cost of rental would be at least $100 month and that is not making one cent profit since we pay $200 month per server. As Arma runs now, I doubt we could offer servers for it and turn any kind of profit. I am looking at getting another box or two for the east and west coasts, but I need to know that I can get at least 3 ArmA servers per box to run stable or else the servers would cost at least $125/month which to me is way too high for a game server. With 3 running on a box I can see the pricing for a 24 man server being much more in line with what I think is fair. Charging that kind of money you should be able to open up the server to all it can handle, not just 20 or so slots. I rent 64 player COD2 servers for less than $100/month with VOIP and some other extra's but with the way ArmA runs now, I can't see us being able to stick to our motto of offering "low cost" servers to the community so we will probably not rent them until something changes. If a game can't run at an affordable price we don't offer it. Keep checking our site or better yet, check our forums over at Tactical Leaders to see if and when we expect to be able to offer servers for ArmA at a reasonable price.

its the same for everyone else though, if its a hog and you have to charge alot to do it, people will have to pay. -- cant see that changing.

I have managed to get two servers running pretty decent on one. However it all depends on the map to. I just set the games affinity to below normal on all dedicated. It works well. The servers i am running have gbit connections on them but the cpu is my limitation now.

I am seriously thinking about getting a server to run ArmA. I would love to get my own t1 line and have a my own server but that will cost too much. So i was wondering what sites out there provide the best gaming servers? There are a few things these companies must provide.

1- server that supports ArmA and allows uploading of user addons and missions

2- high to unlimited bandwidth

3- voip support

4- website with high to unlimited bandwidth that supports php forums

Please let me know what you the community do for dedicated servers and the costs for running them. Are you satisfied with the service and any other useful thoughts.

"OVH"

French server renting company . for 30buck/ month , you got a REAL dedicated box (non-mutualized) , P4 prescot 3.0ghz for first price (19euro/month i think) , 1go , 200Go HDD space.

you have a remote ADMIN desktop on it. you can install nearly all you want, and last time we tested the bandwith , we had 8MB/sec. 100mbit seem sustained so ...

make your choice between

-mutialized server without real admin account , restricted polithic about free slot (make pay more for more slot huh.gif!!! WTH??!!wink_o.gif overcharged machine, and constant reboot

Or

-non mutialized offer, a real computer for YOU ONLY , with liberty to install what you want + real bandiwth result.

I have managed to get two servers running pretty decent on one. However it all depends on the map to. I just set the games affinity to below normal on all dedicated. It works well. The servers i am running have gbit connections on them but the cpu is my limitation now.

Do you rent these server or is it some of your personnal 's one ?

because 1Gbit internet connection is impossible to get at human price. it 's professional usage , dude 1gbit/S that's more than 100MB/s .

maybe these computer have Gbit ethernet NIC , but they don't allow you to have more than 100mbit bandwith. or even less . (10 or so )

rofl.gif

ps: if you want mesure bandwith capability , ust remote login on it , and download a large file from a garanteed fast FTP server.

LOL that's for sure, no hosting company in the world is offering Gbit access. Gl33k is right, you have a Gbit ethernet card in your box. Log into your server and go to DSL reports and do their speed tests to different servers around the country and you'll get an idea of what your transfer rate is.

Do you rent these server or is it some of your personnal 's one ?

because 1Gbit internet connection is impossible to get at human price. it 's professional usage , dude 1gbit/S that's more than 100MB/s .

maybe these computer have Gbit ethernet NIC , but they don't allow you to have more than 100mbit bandwith. or even less . (10 or so )

rofl.gif

ps: if you want mesure bandwith capability , ust remote login on it , and download a large file from a garanteed fast FTP server.

Nah, they are gbit access and its a professional setup. Not something cheap as I host quite a bit of stuff off them. Not games and its not cheap.

http://www.cogentco.com/htdocs/internet.php?current=1

Thank you all for responding. I now have a few sites to look into a little more in depth. Now it just comes done to the expenses and if any of the arma community donate every now and then

You should never count on donations. You should be able to afford the server without any donations and have it not impact your finances. If it will eat into something then i would not even try it.

RN are still at calpop, we are doing a lil hosting for a few people and looking at getting a UK based server started.

depending on what u want we might be able to accomodate you.

best thing to do is pop over to our forums and let us know what your after

link to website under sig, prolly best to use the OFP forums for now, while we transition across to ArmA website

hope to hear from you soon

Esco

Gbit internet connectivity isn't uncommon when in a server environment...

If your after a UK server give me a PM. Can provide fully dedicated servers from £55 per month (can run as many instances as you like)...

SirKillAlot

iweb.com does some good servers for a fair price. USM Warzone and USM's training server are ran off of a 1GB port 2GB RAM 3.2Ghz celeron for 146.00 USD/Month.