Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Not all bugs in ArmA are unrealistic....

It's black magic. Some one needs to burn at the stake for this.

Doesn't the rotor speed change as more collective is added or less collective?

It's black magic. Some one needs to burn at the stake for this.

Doesn't the rotor speed change as more collective is added or less collective?

No, there is a governor that keeps the rotor RPM constant, or at least pretty close. You can see in the video a few times where the main rotor blades appear to move a little, there is a slight delay in the governor as it reacts to collective inputs that increase or decrease drag on the rotor system.

Some smaller piston helicopters such as a Hughes 300, only have a correlater, which helps increase or decrease the throttle with collective inputs, but some throttle manipulation is also required by the pilot to keep the rotor RPM in the green.

It is a million to one chance that the shutter speed would be perfectly syncronized to the spinning of the rotor blades. Perhaps it is somehow possible. Or maybe it is the video compression that is playing tricks.

No man, its not even that uncommon, here is another

Just the FPS of the camera is synced with the rotor RPM.

It is a million to one chance that the shutter speed would be perfectly syncronized to the spinning of the rotor blades. Perhaps it is somehow possible. Or maybe it is the video compression that is playing tricks.

no, its not anything to do with chance - the operating RPM of the hind's main rotor can easily be researched and the shutter speed set up to match that... nothing lucky about it.

the same effect can be seen on cars alloys, where the wheels sometimes appear to stop or reverse because the alloy spokes are syncing with the 'refresh rate' of the human eye/camera viewing it

I bet in any case that if the pilots of those helos saw those vids they'd be at least awed and a bit spooked... biggrin_o.gif

the same effect can be seen on cars alloys, where the wheels sometimes appear to stop or reverse because the alloy spokes are syncing with the 'refresh rate' of the human eye/camera viewing it

The human eye does not have a "refresh rate", but this effect can be seen with the eye under some types of artificial lighting.

hence why I used inverted commas because I couldn't think of or find a more suitable phrase... the same effect happens with the human eye, but obviously not anything to do with Hz or FPS - I was putting it into lamens

Probably camera, but I imagine that thing _can_ be edited. Theoretically one could edit out frames.