Sign in to follow this  
Munky

Multiple Joysticks

I have made a guide on how to take 2 seperate joysticks (or rudder pedals) and combine them into a virtual joystick. you can view it Here.

note: the color scheme of the site may be bad, yes, but i made it rather quickly without giving much thought to the whole "design".

basically using PPJoy [parallel port Joy] and PPJoyJoy [joystick mixer] you can combine the outputs of 2 joysticks into one virtually, set it as the default controller, and it should work in ArmA.

i take no credit for the programs. i just simply learned how to use them and am sharing how i got it to work.

Also, i did not add to the guide but BEFORE you launch the game, DISCONNECT all phyiscal controllers, load up the game, then reconnect them. you should be good to go after that.

Thanx for explain !

I have got a sidewinder microsoft and a logitech momo racing.

After all manipulation, it works but only on windows...

Arma always take momo racing's information...

How do you "simply" add it to default controller ?

Go to control panel -> Game Controllers.

you will see the list of controllers, and the button "Advanced..." click that, select wich one you want as default and hit OK..

then your good to go!

its awesome that someone actually read this biggrin_o.gif lol

have fun!

No, it doesn't work...

I have try the joystickID changer too : nothing to do !

Logitech momo racing ever win...

TY for your guide Munky.

I have an X52 and CH USB pedals I did everiting you have explayned but iI have the same problem of sulu_03 my X52 always prevale over Virtual Joy and over Pro pedals.

ok so here's the solution: (will add another page to website)

1) Disconnect all controllers.

2) run ArmA -> after it loads alt-tab to desktop.

3) reconnect all devices.

4) run PPJoyJoy.

5) back to ArmA.

6) Play away.

Hi,

Recently purchased the Saitek Rudder pedals as i already had the Saitek X52.

So i tried to set it up using the guide and software, but somehow i can't get it to work sad_o.gif .

After a reboot i now have the 'Don't allocate ports assigned to joysticks' on. So that is fixed. Just in case you wonder, i got the windows new device popup and installed the drivers for the PPjoystick.

Then in the mapping, i would like to have the axis i used to use (X-Y-Z, with Z as 'turn left-right' in arma), but with the additional pedals (X-axis?) of the pedals.

So this is what i set it in the mapping of Parallel joysticks:

Axis 1: X Axis

Axis 2: Y Axis

Axis 3: Z Axis

Axis 4 Z Rotation

Axis 5 Rudder

Axis 6: Throttle

(Axis 7: Wheel)

(Axis 8: Slider)

But then the first problems start. When i try to configure mapping for axis (next window), it doesn't reconnaise my 'scan' input as i wanted to test...

Anyway, set it up as followed:

X Axis: Analog 0

Y Axis: Analog 1

Z Axis: Analog 2

Z Rotation: Analog 3

Rudder: Analog 4

Throttle: Analog 5

(Wheel: Analog 6)

(Slider: Analog 7)

After the finish i get me 'PPJoy Virtual joystick 1 in my controllers menu in the configuration panel, under my Saitek X52 and Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. All status OK. But when i test (->advanced) the PPjoy i don't get any input values... confused_o.gif . Guess this is the main problems, but continue...

I also don't know if i need to remove the Saiteks now, or how i set the PPJoy Vjoystick as 'DEFAULT' now...

I suppose rest (settings of PPJoyJoy) isn't needed to get help at this moment as i first need to get the PPjoy itself to register my input.

Any help would be much appreciated...

If any more info is need, pls ask smile_o.gif.

Make sure that PPJoyJoy is still running... it needs to be open and running to send its data...

the only time you should disconnect your saiteks is just before you load up the game. after the game has finished loading plug them back in.

the reason (it seems) that your PPJoy is not updating, is because you are not running PPJoyJoy. PPjoy just makes a fake controller. PPJoyJoy is a joystick MIXER. meaning it takes inputs of your saiteks, and sends them to the fake PPJoy controller.

so make sure PPJoyJoy is setup and running, with all your controllers plugged in.

First, thanks for trying to help, but i had PPJoyJoy running...disconnected the sticks before load...plugged back in when game has fully loaded etc...

But i think the main problem lays with the fact the sticks axis aren't properly defined in PPJoy itself.

What i noticed when setting it up i can select 'Set a custom mapping for this controller', instead i only have the second option availible...'Modify the mapping for the controller'.

snap1.jpg

Not sure if second option is good, but what i wonder is if you guys can use the scan option to auto select your axis etc by pressing the scan button and then move the wanted axis.

snap019.jpg

As i can used the scan option to assign the axis and need to do it manually. Same thing for the buttons...

Next, as i expected, in my controle panel on the gamedevices (dutch XP here), when i test the PPjoy Virtual joystick 1

snap024.jpg

by pressing the advenced option

snap022.jpg

none of the axis-buttons seam to work. Even after i setup the PPJoyJoy, still no joyjoy sad_o.gif.

snap023.jpg

help.gif

I don't have the pedals yet, so I can't verify this... but it's something I read and thought it might help you guys.

x52 + rudder pedal setup help

Hope it helps. If it has nothing to do with this post, then just ignore me... whistle.gif

Mosh

in response do DaSquade:

the reason the first option for 'Set a custom mapping for this controller' is grayed out is because you already made it the first time... so the second time obviously your modifying it... i havent tried messing with the scan options... well i did, but got no response, feel free to try using it, if it works, then great.

now, are you having problems with Axes or Buttons at the moment? if its buttons, use the saitek programming software, you can use that to map specific key presses. say you want trigger to fire... well map the trigger to mouse1, or map a keyboard button [say control+F] and have it "emulate" that...

EDIT: also noticed that you have the same axis mapped 2 times? (the rudder axis from pedals?)

BTW -- there is no reason to play around with the scan options, leave them default

nother edit: basically when you make your controller, select 8 axes, and do a "next-> next-> finish".. dont worry about all the stuff inbetween. all that matters at this point is the Axes. you can map the buttons thru saitek software, same w/ pov's.

o and, are you running service pack 2?

after that setup ur PPJoyJoy and run it. open up config -> game controllers, see if its working...

@Munky, again thanks for trying to help find the solution.

Well, true about the fact the set a custom blabla..' is grey, but even if i remove the PPJoy virtual joystick 1 profile and make it again, that option isn't availible...but not sure if that makes or breaks it.

Well, at first i had problems with only my rudders (no game input). But the second time after i tried remaking profiles etc...i have no input what so ever from my x52 and rudder, so it is as the virtual joystick isn't setup to reconnaise the input..or something else.

Like i said, can you please check if in your controle panel->gamedevices (dutch XP, but the menu where you can see all your sticks) and check the properties of the PPJoy Virtual joystick 1. I'm really wonder if it gives input response of the axis in that as here it doesn't response to any of my sticks.

I'm taking about this screen:

snap022.jpg

Atm i don't really care about the buttons, knowing it is partly messed up by BIS...but most of them worked the first time, but now non.

True, 2 same axis mapped. Meaning, Zrotation on X52 as turn left-right and Zroation on rubber for pedals left-right. But haven't got it working so far to check if that needs adjustment tounge2.gif. But that combo worked pretty good in the past when i had the pedals defined on one of the rotation knobs on the X52.

Running on 1-2months old fresh installed Windows XP pro sevice pack 2 integrated. Also have the latest drivers and software for the Saitek hardware and like mentioned installed drivers for the virtual joystick devices (2 drivers with succes installed).

Anyway, didn't had the time to check it out and try again (UVmapping smile_o.gif ), but will give it an other shot tomorrow.

when you first made the virtual controller w/ PPJoy did you install the drivers? it will also aks you if you want to continue because they are not "certified" make sure you click continue.

it will ask you(or it should anyways) 2 times to install drivers. simply click "yes this time only" -- and use the recommended option [automatically find drivers?]

try removing the controller w/ PPJoy [it should bring up a box with 2 check mark boxes make sure both are checked] then re-adding the controller again.

afaik it could even be the dutch version of XP, tho i hardly think there is much of a difference between the 2??

maybe when i get a chance i will make a quick video with fraps... tho i dont know how 1920x1080 would look on a smaller screen... infact i think i might do it now...

Cool that it works, but honestly, we shouldn't have to use it. This "simulator" should support multiple sticks from the get go. It even has problems with single stick support still. The joystick support needs to be made more robust.

Quote[/b] ]Cool that it works, but honestly, we shouldn't have to use it. This "simulator" should support multiple sticks from the get go. It even has problems with single stick support still. The joystick support needs to be made more robust.

Oh i totally agree. but since i hate waiting, work-arounds are a must.

i expected the flight model to be ALOT more complicated. right now i feel more comfortable flying with mouse and keyboard than using the joystick due to the fact that its just TOO simple. there just arent enough functions to go around on the x52 pro. all you really need are up/down [increase/decrease thrust] and mouse movements... maybe the a/s/w/d keys for major movements if you have a low mouse sensitivity...

i mean, on the harrier there's no seperate control for thrust AND thruster direction. its combined into one. thats rather frusterating... not to mension there's no trim... plus no full axis support afaik [use all of Z axis, not just half of it...]

I will have to mess with this more but for now I just used the saitek profiler and set the flight stick as mouse x y and the buttons as keyboard keys. I tried to use ppjoy and ppjoyjoy to combine my g-25 wheel with the x-52 but got nothing but annoyed. Any luck with this combo? The g-25 takes over all axis control when its connected. They make old gameport to USB multi tap converters and without sounding stupid what about a usb to gameport converter to plug into one of these? I guess that would be a hardware version of the PPjoy solution without ever needing to depend on specific game support. As far as I understand you can have 2 controllers use the same ingame axis. As I can use the wheel pedals for tail rudder and gas brake right now set in the game just not from 2 different controllers unless its the mouse. No wonder consoles are popular...we have to work so much harder to get it right with PC. But it's worth it with enough patience.

what you use as controllers shouldnt matter. i've use my Saitek X-52 pro [previously i used the X-45] combined with my Thrustmaster Rudder Control System [technically i have the complete thrustmaster set, but the throttle and stick are broken] it runs through my old 15 pin game port on my sound card. this is an OLD combo.

i have successfully also tried combing BOTH my Saitek X52 and X45 just for fun, and this works as well - the only problem being is that PPJoyJoy cant simulate all the axes... the maximum amount of axes possible is 8. tho with this game you really dont need more than 5 or 6... i have found flying is easier with a keyboard and mouse than with the joystick, but thats just me..

now as your saying is using a multitap USB to Gameport converter to go from 1 USB port to 2 Gameport adapters? and then get another converter to go from the Gameport to USB adapter? to me this sounds like it may not work. i have owned a gameport multitap, and it showed up as 2 controllers seperately.

Well I did it! I got it to all work together...helps following your directions to the T. Also, not sure where I grabbed it but picked up a program called joyid swapper 1.a which is just a useful app to have to move say PPJOY Virtual joystick to ID1 without needing to go through control panel.

I plugged my g-25, n-52, and x-52 all in one usb hub so I had only one cord to plug and unplug. The hardest part of this was setting up the axis stuff in ppjoyjoy...which is a great little program...just that it was a real fun one to get all the axis to fall into place. The axis names don't always match up to what works so it was a trial and error combo to have the gas and brake separate axis.

I have tail rotor on the gas and clutch pedal as well as the twist on the joystick and still use the gas and brake and wheel in the cars like I should. All in all I used 4 axis on the wheel and 4 axis on the stick and throttle lever. I only assigned buttons in ppjoyjoy to the 4 on the wheel itself err 2 buttons 2 padal shifter levers.

The nostomo is just a hid keyboard as I have found and I just have all the buttons mapped to keyboard keys in its profile anyway...same for the rest of the saitek buttons. It just get unplugged and replugged with the bunch for good measure but trackIR stays in all the time with no issues. Also, I don't use the last 3 axis on the throttle stick (1 slider and 2 dials or the mouse wheel and mouse button will not work but is not needed anyway.

It's pretty fun to fly around now as well as drive with out looking too drunk. What an ordeal to just get down to play...I'm exhausted from setup. Results are worth it though...just can't wait till all the crash bugs are fixed so I don't have to do the controller dance before loading up all the time.

Here is a refresh of my exact steps...thanks for the help!

1 unplug my controller usb hub (n-52, x-52, g-25)

2 Turn on TrackIR

3 load ArmA

4 alt tab to desktop

5 run nostromo profiler and set then close it

6 run x-52 profiler and set then close it

7 run ppjoyjoy and set and leave it on

8 play the game and enjoy how improved it runs AND with all the geek gadgets working together running "1.07 fixed beta" for an hour till it crashes to debug error report or BSOD

9 rinse and repeat if necessary

Phew.. very interesting thread but this setup seems so complicated! And all this work just for repairing a lack from BIS! wink_o.gif

I've seen a lot of complaints in this official forum about multiple joysticks support, so I guess BIS have planned to fix it with a not so far patch.

In fact I have just bought a Logitech Momo wheel this week, the main purpose is to use its pedals with my X45 for Arma. I was very surprised to see ArmA can manage only one input device. How to code a such beautiful gaming engine regardless of "extra" stuff like good input device management?

I followed instructions from this thread (big thanks to Munky and others) and PPJoy/PPJoyJoy are my friends now. It works well except I cannot manage my Momo pedals in a good way:

- If I use the "combined" mode (only one axis for pedals) in the Momo settings, my virtual rudder is min. when I do nothing and max. when I press on the accelator.

- If I don't use the "combined" mode (two axis for the pedals), my virtual rudder is min. when I do nothing, medium when I press to the half the accelator, and max. when I press totally the accelator.

So for now, it's unusable in ArmA.  mad_o.gif

Any hints for pedals/rudder in PPJoy/PPJoyJoy?

Thanks.

Using a TM HOTAS Cougar and Saitek pedals...this doesn't work for me, at all.

Setting up the virtual joystick, I'm trying to figure out which axis PPJoy is calling which. Use the scan button, and get _no_ result at all.

Calibrating it through windows after installing it, hoping that it'd give me enough information to go back and do it properly was also unhelpful -- no input at all registered.

PPJOYJOY JOYSTICK MIXER FOR VIRTUAL JOYSTICK 1

X AXIS: SAITEK X-52 FLIGHT CONTROLLER X AXIS

Y AXIS: SAITEK X-52 FLIGHT CONTROLLER Y AXIS

Z AXIS: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB Z AXIS

Z ROT: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB Z ROT

SLIDER: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB SLIDER 1

X ROT: SAITEK X-52 FLIGHT CONTROLLER Z AXIS

Y ROT: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB X AXIS

DIAL: SAITEK X-52 FLIGHT CONTROLLER Z ROT

BUTTON 1: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB BUTTON 6

BUTTON 2: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB BUTTON 8

BUTTON 3: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB BUTTON 7

BUTTON 4: LOGITECH G25 RACING WHEEL USB BUTTON 5

THIS IS HOW IT LOOKS WITH EVERY AXIS USED SETTING PEDALS AS SEPARATE AXIS WHILE STILL HAVING THE TWIST SET ON THE STICK. I GET FULL AXIS RANGE ON ALL PEDALS...TWIST AND THE WHEEL ARE AT 50% RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE. KEEP IN MIND I DO HAVE 3 PEDALS SO YOU MAY HAVE TO MOVE SOMETHING AROUND TILL YOU GET THE RIGHT COMBO FOR YOUR SET. I HAD THE ADVANCED TAB OPEN FOR VIRTUAL JOYSTICK WHILE DOING MY TRIAL AND ERROR TO SEE THE CORRECT MOVEMENT. MAKE SURE YOU BRING IT TO THE FRONT BY CLICKING ON THAT WINDOW AFTER CHANGING THINGS IN PPJOYJOY OR YOU WONT SEE THE AXIS MOVING WHILE TESTING. BUTTONS ARE NOT REALLY IMPORTANT.

Yeah, my problem is that it doesn't identify _anything_ about what's plugged in. It gives me generic names, like there's nothing connected at all.

dont worry about what the axes are "Called" you can re-map them once your in game. now if your controller uses a seperate program to "mimic" keyboard keys, use that instead of mapping buttons. this just keeps it simple.

the only reason you should be worrying about what axes are what is if you have more than 8 axes and dont want to include a few [like me with my dual x52/x45 setup] i prefer the rudder rocker on the x45 throttle instead of the twisty stick X52, so i mapped the x45's rocker, and not the 52's twist axis.

basically i open up ppjoy, and once i've set my number of axes [8] i go "Next -> next ->finish(use default settings)" then map in PPJoyJoy.

Remember, PPJoyJoy MUST be OPEN and RUNNING to send the signal to the virtual controller