Sign in to follow this  
fireship4

motion capture

Is it possible to do some improvised motion capture for Arma? Maybe with a camera and some reflectors or something? Or would you have to just match the animation to the video by hand?

I undestand the tools would be needed (maybe not though with this SLX thing) but I would like to know...

A friend of mine by the name of Silent n Deadly was expirimenting with this type of thing a month or so ago. You might want to PM him about it, I'm not really sure if the idea ever worked out confused_o.gif.

for a home mocap studio you at least need 8 cameras..

a nice tight suit

special reflektors

a dark room

special software..

$$$$$

go ahead smile_o.gif

there is a cheap way to do that will request 2 camera, a black outfit and some white tape.

Put white tape at your joins, knees, ankles elbows, etc...

Film yourself in your movement from the two point of view (write down their position /orientation/focal/zoom)

clone these camera in 3dsmax and put the two videos on background planes.

next you take the skeleton of the character and try to match the white markers every few images.

Mo cap is hard really even with the proper tools you need a very good "actor"

yea

and live mocap data produce more waste in data then just doing it by hand using reference sequenzes

Depends...

Low cost solution : 3-9 cheap mini VHS cams + firewire to get the data into your comp. USB won´t work to get synched inputs from more than 2 cams into your comp at once.

Problem is calibrating and positioning the cams.

Better solution would be to use IR cams and emitters (reflective tape) as it would reduce the amount of data alot but on the other hand such things are pretty expensive.

Alternatively you could use NaturalPoint's OptiTrack camera. BHV data can be directly imported into Poser from there.

Linki

I think I remember seeing Jahve in that ridiculous looking suit making motion capture anims for ArmA...I really hope his project comes to fruition. From the videos, it looked like he was an "okay" actor.

Anyone heard about that project recently?

Abs

Is it possible to do some improvised motion capture for Arma? Maybe with a camera and some reflectors or something? Or would you have to just match the animation to the video by hand?

I undestand the tools would be needed (maybe not though with this SLX thing) but I would like to know...

Matching material to some reference would be best, I think. I would just get like 3 cameras or something and do a front, left and maybe a top view of the same thing.

What kind of action were you thinking of animating?

If you're just wanting to tweak some of the old BIS animations, there's no reason to start from scratch again. You would just have to adjust the poses in each keyframe.

I think I remember seeing Jahve in that ridiculous looking suit making motion capture anims for ArmA...I really hope his project comes to fruition. From the videos, it looked like he was an "okay" actor.

Anyone heard about that project recently?

Abs

Videos? Your memory is clearly flawed! huh.gif

Here's something, not exactly cheap but...