Sign in to follow this  
-SoF-Max

Dedicated Server Running as Windows Service

I have successfully added my Arma_Server.exe to my windows services.

The only problem I am having is figuring how to execute the server.cfg file and my other switches that are normally on my shortcut. I have tried everything I can think of, it would be nice if Arma had a autoexec.cfg like most games so that settings and configs are launched when the server/game is launched.

Has anyone been able to get this method to work? What am I missing? I try adding the switches in several different places but nothing I have tried works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just prefer this method over a third party app at the moment but if nobody else has figured it out then I may have to.

Thanks in Advance,

Max

Yes I use FireDaemon to run Arma as a windows service on my dedicated server. It offers a lot of control but is not free. If your serious about running a dedicated Arma server though it's well worth the money. If you do decide to buy it I can help you with the configs.

Yes I use FireDaemon to run Arma as a windows service on my dedicated server. It offers a lot of control but is not free. If your serious about running a dedicated Arma server though it's well worth the money. If you do decide to buy it I can help you with the configs.

Yeah there is a slew of programs available out there that can do this.

I think though that this brings a bigger issue up of how BIS has always done there Dedicated server stuff. I remember in Flashpoint most server companies didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole because of config issues, netcode, windows only, full game install. These really hurt the popularity of it the first time and as you know history is bound to repeat itself.

I mean how hard is it to program at least the Dedicated server file to run an autoexec.cfg file?

Sorry didn't mean to rant at you Jman, was firing this more towards BIS.

Check out the wiki. There are instructions on how to setup the server as a service.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki....Service

Do you reply much with our reading the original post???

And no there is no instructions on the wiki. There is a link to Microsoft which shows you how to do only one thing. Add an application as a service. If you would have read my post you would see I have done that part.

My post refers to actually getting it to work as if I were using a shortcut with the switches. Such as -config=server.cfg. and so on so forth.

Sorry it took me so long to see this post. I wrote up a quick exe monitor for you guys so you can run the server as a service.

You will need to do the following however.

1. .Net 2.0 installed

2. Edit the config.xml file (See the readme for a quick description)

3. Edit the service via services.

If you want to see the arma server console, you will have to change the service to allow interaction to desktop. Otherwise it will not show up. Also change the startup to automatic if you want.

That's all i guess..

Server monitor download link (Rar file and no installer)

Hey Nutty (or whomever), if this is .Net I can certainly help you acheive a good Server Monitor as a Service where everyone can avoid using the messy config and other xml files. It will also avoid running the ArmA server as a service directly (thus allowing you to run different server.cfg files)

I can also wrap up the application into an MSI file which will install the server monitor service automatically and again.. avoid the messy parts.

My email is in my profile. I would gladly collaborate on this with you guys if you want to email me the details. (Do not use PM at the moment.. my inbox will fill way too fast)

Yeah, i just wrote one up really quick for them. I could use registry or whatever. I have a different one but it is part of the Remote admin tool. This was just a quicky for today.

Didn't get a chance to look at your tool Nutty before I figured it out on my own. Thanks though may check it out in the future.

If anyone else needs to know how to do it, just let me know.

Thanks.

Firedaemon is a good util but the cost is an issue for most people. Mine is just simple and aimed at one program only. In the remote admin tool you will see more functions that will expand on the features. Mostly the ability to maintain several servers with it and the ability to control them remotely.

Max @ May 04 2007,16:10)]
Check out the wiki. There are instructions on how to setup the server as a service.

And no there is no instructions on the wiki.  There is a link to Microsoft which shows you how to do only one thing.  Add an application as a service.  If you would have read my post you would see I have done that part.

My post refers to actually getting it to work as if I were using a shortcut with the switches.  Such as -config=server.cfg. and so on so forth.

Yes I did read your post, exuse me for thinking you had a brain. If you would follow the instructions on the microsoft page and put the extra swtiches you need in the registry keys you could get it to work like I have with out having to use 3rd party programs.

All you have to do is add an Application key in the parameters of the ARMA_SERVER key and make it equall this or something that fits your set up..

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ArmA_Server.exe -config=server.cfg -port=2302

Use your head...

And no there is no instructions on the wiki. There is a link to Microsoft which shows you how to do only one thing. Add an application as a service. If you would have read my post you would see I have done that part.

My post refers to actually getting it to work as if I were using a shortcut with the switches. Such as -config=server.cfg. and so on so forth.

Yes I did read your post, exuse me for thinking you had a brain. If you would follow the instructions on the microsoft page and put the extra swtiches you need in the registry keys you could get it to work like I have with out having to use 3rd party programs.

All you have to do is add an Application key in the parameters of the ARMA_SERVER key and make it equall this or something that fits your set up..

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\ArmA_Server.exe -config=server.cfg -port=2302

Use your head...

Actually you are wrong. That is my point. The Microsoft page refers to Microsoft switches. I tried what you just posted way before I ever posted here.

Thanks I did use my head and figured it out.

For everyone else who reads this post you will need to add two more Registry entries.

"AppDirectory" the value for this will be your Arma directory. Example: C:\Program Files\Bohemie Interactive\Arma\

"AppParameters" the value for this would be your switches.

Example: -config=server.cfg -port=2302 etc etc etc.

Now if I may be so bold..... Please use your head!

You fellas certainly know how to make something thats quite straight forward, very hard and confusing for the guy that asked the question.

Max @ May 08 2007,15:09)]

And no there is no instructions on the wiki.  There is a link to Microsoft which shows you how to do only one thing.  Add an application as a service.  If you would have read my post you would see I have done that part.

My post refers to actually getting it to work as if I were using a shortcut with the switches.  Such as -config=server.cfg. and so on so forth.

Use your head...

Actually you are wrong.  That is my point.  The Microsoft page refers to Microsoft switches.  I tried what you just posted way before I ever posted here.

For everyone else who reads this post you will need to add two more Registry entries.

"AppDirectory" the value for this will be your Arma directory.  Example: C:\Program Files\Bohemie Interactive\Arma\

Welp that is odd. I followed the microsoft directions to the T and it worked fine. I only added the keys that is said. I did not have to add the AppDirectory value just Application.

Max @ May 08 2007,15:09)]

Use your head...

Actually you are wrong. That is my point. The Microsoft page refers to Microsoft switches. I tried what you just posted way before I ever posted here.

"AppDirectory" the value for this will be your Arma directory. Example: C:\Program Files\Bohemie Interactive\Arma\

Welp that is odd. I followed the microsoft directions to the T and it worked fine. I only added the keys that is said. I did not have to add the AppDirectory value just Application.

So it worked for you just doing the AppDirectory then adding a key like:

?

If it did then I will stand corrected and apologize. I tried that though on 2003 and it would start yeah. But there was no way for me to run my configs. And the server wasn't in the server list(At least not that I could see since it was executing my config). When I did it the way I finally figured out it was.